Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2009, 03:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Image stabilisation without the tripod

$1 Image Stabilizer For Any Camera - Lose The Tripod - Video

Pretty cool idea... simple and brilliant... and as photographers, you shouldnt look embarrassed with such a simple device

01-22-2009, 04:56 AM   #2
Forum Member

Until you trip over the string and smash your new DA* lens....
01-22-2009, 06:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The string "image stabilizer" is back once again. Gee, this might have been discussed before - here, here, here, here, and here. Did I miss any threads?

The general consensus is that it likely offers little benefit with a DSLR with built-in image stabilization. This string, with limited vertical movement reduction and almost no horizontal movement reduction, would lose effectiveness long before the in-camera image stabilization would.

However, some agree the string itself might be a good thing to have around in case one needs it - like perhaps to strangle those who keep posting messages about this string "image stabilizer" thing.

stewart
01-22-2009, 06:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
i propose this link be posted again every couple or so months to keep you happy :P

01-22-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

LOL. It's just about reached that point now, Vylen. Counting your message, that's six times in just slightly over a year. And I might have even missed a message or two.

Actually, I don't really mind since these threads often result in a chance for members to have a bit of fun (as you can see from some of the previous threads). My self-appointed job, at this point, is just to keep a running count of all the related threads.

stewart
01-22-2009, 08:37 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
stewart, are you sure it's not 7 times, remember it is in my dictionary of stupid technical terms also
01-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
i propose this link be posted again every couple or so months to keep you happy :P
I've got a "know-it-all" friend that tells me about the string trick at least once a year. The last time, he would not let me leave until he put assembled a 1/4-20 screw and some stout string to take with me. I would have preferred that he was fixated on bean bags...

Steve

01-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I've got a "know-it-all" friend that tells me about the string trick at least once a year. The last time, he would not let me leave until he put assembled a 1/4-20 screw and some stout string to take with me. I would have preferred that he was fixated on bean bags...

Steve
don't worry,

if he persists, he has given you the rope to hang him with
01-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
stewart, are you sure it's not 7 times, remember it is in my dictionary of stupid technical terms also

Nope. Not a dedicated thread, so that mention was disqualified. Hey, since I'm keeping the count, I can make up whatever rules I want as we go along. As they say, give a man a little power and...

stewart
01-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I tried it using a bungee cord. I forgot and stepped off the washer - I won't tell you where it hit...