Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

Poverty Wizzard + Promaster

So
Just purchased myself some poverty wizaards and a promaster 7000m flash. I know the promaster can work as a wireless flash by itself, but does anyone have experience with the wizzards? Either way I'm also looking into an AF200t as a secondary. Wireless solutions for that?

Thanks for any feedback,

Travis

01-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use the V2S cheap trigger system for a lot of my work

Welcome to NinoPhotography - enjoy your stay!- powered by SmugMug

when purchasing a flash for strobist/onelight applications consider the following

*power adjustability
*zoom head
*build quality
*recycle time

taken last night wed jan 22
one flash 1/4 power triggered with the cheap triggers in a 16x16 softbox camera right 8 ft away from her
01-22-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The Cactus V2s are pretty good for what you pay for. I have PT-04s. I have problems syncing at K10Ds 1/180s sync. Seems to be a lag for when the radios trigger so max sync for me is usually around 1/160. For the price, though, they get the job done. Looking to upgrade mine eventually.
01-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by paolojackson Quote
The Cactus V2s are pretty good for what you pay for. I have PT-04s. I have problems syncing at K10Ds 1/180s sync. Seems to be a lag for when the radios trigger so max sync for me is usually around 1/160. For the price, though, they get the job done. Looking to upgrade mine eventually.
I had the same problem but was able to solve it by switching to a different channel. Give it a try!

01-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yzuo Quote
I had the same problem but was able to solve it by switching to a different channel. Give it a try!
oh man I'm excited

i thought the the V2s/ pt-04 didnt sync faster than 1/125, I'm trying this tonight~!
01-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #6

Just realize that you might be referring to a different problem. If you can only set a maximum sync speed of 1/160 s instead of 1/180s, it is usually because the EV step setting in your camera is 1/3 EV instead of 1/2.

The problem I was talking about in my previous reply is the dark frame that appears in the bottom part when the shutter speed is set at 1/180s.

QuoteOriginally posted by paolojackson Quote
01-22-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok, the 7000m has motorized zoom, adjustable power, bulid quality is supposed to be good for the price ($200 msrp, $50 on eBay). The only thing is the recycle time. I believe 0.3-10 secs. I'm only a hobbyist/amateur so I figured it wasn't a bad start. The remote I bought are V2s Cactus. Haven't recieved either but should be in soon. Definatley posting results. Anyway my original question was about compatibility of V2s and 7000m. The max trigger voltage for V2s is supposedly 12V, but I haven't been able to find official voltage spec of 7000m. It's a film flash so I believe it to be higher. Read forum on dpreview.

Another question is V2s mods. I know you can increase range and change battery type, but does that also increase max trigger voltage? ( Cr2 to AAA or AA)

Also I'll postedsults on sync speed when if all arrives.

Thanks for the replys and I'm excited for the new equipment!!!

Last edited by shiestmiester; 01-22-2009 at 07:29 PM.
01-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yzuo Quote
Just realize that you might be referring to a different problem. If you can only set a maximum sync speed of 1/160 s instead of 1/180s, it is usually because the EV step setting in your camera is 1/3 EV instead of 1/2.

The problem I was talking about in my previous reply is the dark frame that appears in the bottom part when the shutter speed is set at 1/180s.
QuoteOriginally posted by shiestmiester Quote
Ok, the 7000m has motorized zoom, adjustable power, bulid quality is supposed to be good for the price ($200 msrp, $50 on eBay). The only thing is the recycle time. I believe 0.3-10 secs. I'm only a hobbyist/amateur so I figured it wasn't a bad start. The remote I bought are V2s Cactus. Haven't recieved either but should be in soon. Definatley posting results. Anyway my original question was about compatibility of V2s and 7000m. The max trigger voltage for V2s is supposedly, but I haven't been able to find official voltage spec of 7000m. It's a film flash so I believe it to be higher. Read forum on dpreview.

Another question is V2s mods. I know you can increase range and change battery type, but does that also increase max trigger voltage? ( Cr2 to AAA or AA)

Also I'll postedsults on sync speed when if all arrives.

Thanks for the replys and I'm excited for the new equipment!!!
1/180(sometimes even 1/160) or faster on the v2s = no go, from previous experiences

regarding the battery mods, I dont know about trigger voltages being increased or decreased but I did make changing batteries cheaper for myself
2 CR2 batteries= $15-20

AAA battery boxes from radio shack =$2 each
hot glue gun =$found it in the couch, along with the money I used to buy the battery boxes
huge pack of AAA batteries from Costco =$13

one more thing about trigger voltage, a trigger signal is a trigger signal, I haven't had a flash that didn't fire except for an OOOOOOLD Vivitar 3500 that only took 2 AA batteries... other than that everything else fires fine.

01-22-2009, 03:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The 7000m will NOT work with wireless triggers. I tried many times and they never set it off no matter what mode you select. The wireless module in the flash is set off by other flashes...
01-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
The 7000m will NOT work with wireless triggers. I tried many times and they never set it off no matter what mode you select. The wireless module in the flash is set off by other flashes...
strange....that shouldn't be the case...i've never tried to use any radio triggers with my Promaster 7500EDF, but as long as you keep the flash in manual mode and you have a receiver attached to it, it should only be set off once it detects a trigger signal, not another flash. If it's in wireless mode though, other flashes will definitely trigger it.

**edit** ok, so I looked at the 7000 model, and it seems to be made for 35mm camers. It may require a higher sync voltage to trigger, which is probably why when you tried wireless triggers, it wouldn't work.
01-22-2009, 04:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I didn't imply that the built in wireless sensor is the cause, I didn't imply I knew what the cause was. As for the 35mm camera designation, that isn't it either. The flash has a 5v trigger and if my receivers can set off 12v flashes and even 250v flashes, then it definitely isn't the problem. I'm guessing the problem is that the 7000m has a pentax dedicated shoe with 4 pins and not just one.
01-22-2009, 05:18 PM   #12

I know there's no implication on what the cause is...i just find it strange. Does the flash have any sync connections on the side so a trigger can be plugged directly into the flash? Mine doesn't, so if I need to use it for radio remote triggering, i'd need a hot shoe cable & adapter. I'm just curious, but what kind of wireless triggers are you using?
01-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Google Image Result for http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e270/Z740gal/A-50Promaster7000MFlashB081706K100D.jpg

Scroll down a ways. There is a post about a Promaster 7000m working with Cactus wireless triggers (the ones i bought HOORAY). THing I noticed is the post also says the 7000m is the Nikon version (not what i bought BOOOO!!!) Perhaps the Nikon pin arrrangement is the key? Does anyone know what that loooks like, or have link to diagram?
01-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentFixer Quote
I know there's no implication on what the cause is...i just find it strange. Does the flash have any sync connections on the side so a trigger can be plugged directly into the flash? Mine doesn't, so if I need to use it for radio remote triggering, i'd need a hot shoe cable & adapter. I'm just curious, but what kind of wireless triggers are you using?
I have the jianisi pt-04tm model set. The 7000m does not have a pc port, unfortunately. I usually have the 7000 on the shoe or even wirelessly it gets set off by the other flashes if need be.