Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #1

Anyone buy the generic brand battery grip off e-bay for the k20d?

Currious how the sale went and if it worked well. I think most are out of Hong Kong and include a battery.

01-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi,
It all depends on which vendor you use. I have ordered off Feabay from both China and Hong Kong. All went well with delivery times from one week to three weeks. The grip came from China and it was worth the wait.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by arkansas72762 Quote
Currious how the sale went and if it worked well. I think most are out of Hong Kong and include a battery.
01-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #3

I doubt that these are weather sealed?
01-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weather sealing for grips -
would have thought most portrait view photos are taken indoors.

01-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by garth1948 Quote
Because portraits are the only thing you can use a grip for.
01-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by garth1948 Quote
When you consider the number of "landscape" view photos that get taken indoors, there is a burden on the rest of us to balance things out by taking "portrait" view photos outdoors.

You want the world to tip off its axis or something?
01-26-2009, 04:55 AM   #7
Forum Member

I have one on my k10d off ebay sent from Hong Kong.

I chose it over the original Pentax for two reasons:
1. It holds two extra batteries, which makes a total of 3 incl the body's (for 1 month travel in Europe taking about 3500 shots, I charged once.)
2. It has a position for putting the strap on both side bottom. So, I ended up putting the strap on the top left strap holder (on camera) and bottom left strap holder (on grip) and tied a knot on the strap and made it work like hand strap.

and it was half the price over the original, + a shutter on each side....

Althought I knew the original have weather seals + dial + green button which the generic one doesn't.....

Whatever your pick, with grip is better than without!

Here it is on my k10d

01-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #8

I looked at the China Trazon that was almost identical to the Pentax. It did not have the locater pins. (4) It did not have good button ID paint. I have no Idea what the build quality was and naturally it did not have the dust seal or gold plate pins / contacts.

Since it was $89 + shipping and the BG2 was $115 free shipping from Amazon it was a no brainer for me. I did pick up two batteries for $9.95 with shipping from China. But I can toss them. Keep the battery keeper from the camera for the "spare". There is NO short protection in the D150 / NP400.
01-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #9

I bought one

I bought one made by Phottix from E-bay for 49.95. It is a clone of the pentax model. It only has a shutter button and on off switch, but has a battery and space for a memory card and remote. It is a good product except buying it from the seller that I did is a gamble. (etefore) When I received it the shutter button would not work, I emailed 3 times over two weeks with no response. Knowing that I've been screwed I dug into it and managed to fix it. I have to say for the most part the quality of the parts was pretty amazing for such a cheap Chinese knock-off. I really like it!
01-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Luciferase Quote
I have one on my k10d off ebay sent from Hong Kong.

I chose it over the original Pentax for two reasons:
1. It holds two extra batteries, which makes a total of 3 incl the body's (for 1 month travel in Europe taking about 3500 shots, I charged once.)
2. It has a position for putting the strap on both side bottom. So, I ended up putting the strap on the top left strap holder (on camera) and bottom left strap holder (on grip) and tied a knot on the strap and made it work like hand strap.

and it was half the price over the original, + a shutter on each side....

Althought I knew the original have weather seals + dial + green button which the generic one doesn't.....

Whatever your pick, with grip is better than without!

Here it is on my k10d
I also saw this advertised and was wondering if ever it worked.
It also holds AA batteries, 12 I think
I was kinda wondering how does the camera recognize the 3rd battery?
Doesn't the camera make you choose which battery to use first..either the grip batt or the one in the body, but since the grip holds 2 batteries, how does it work?
01-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

This is the grip that you have don't you? I guess it has more options than the oem grip only without the extra buttons.
Attached Images

01-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

my guess would be that the grip tricks the camera into thinking there's only one battery stored in it...

but damn... that grip's ugly :P
01-28-2009, 11:44 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I also saw this advertised and was wondering if ever it worked.
It also holds AA batteries, 12 I think
I was kinda wondering how does the camera recognize the 3rd battery?
Doesn't the camera make you choose which battery to use first..either the grip batt or the one in the body, but since the grip holds 2 batteries, how does it work?
My does works! The AA holder will cost extra, it came with the k10d rechargeable holder. The 3rd party rechargeable are dirt cheap nowadays and works fine, unless you're concern about them exploding.

It has a switch on the right with A (all), L (left), R (right) battery detection. I leave it at A all the time.

My camera is set to run off the grip first, and when both the grip batteries run low, the power light turns orange.

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
my guess would be that the grip tricks the camera into thinking there's only one battery stored in it...

but damn... that grip's ugly :P
Ya...I agree it’s not the best looking “thing” but please…..my grip have feelings…..its practicality that counts, for this is the reason why majority of people here choice Pentax?