Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #1

SDHC card compatibility with *ist dl

Are the SDHC cards compatible with the *ist DL model?

Thanks,

DB

01-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Inactive Account

i have a 16gb kingston SDHC and it gives an error when trying to read the card. so from my experience no they are not compatible with the *istDL. From what i have read the max capacity that the ist DL allows is 2gb with some 4gb ones out there that are not HC. But i am not sure about the 4gb ones. Id stick to the 2gb to be safe. Plus as our camera is just at 6.1mp you should have enough space on a 2gb card unless you go crazy on the continuous shoot mode.
01-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please stay away from 4GB cards that are not SDHC. Most are of dubious origin and quality. If your camera does not support SDHC, and I don't believe the *ist DL does then just buy a few 2GB cards. 2GB cards are a dime a dozen now so there is no excuse not to have several, and carry them with you too.

Newegg lists three 2GB cards for under $5.00 each and one even has free shipping.
01-24-2009, 07:22 PM   #4

Original Poster
Write speed on SD cards

Thanks for the heads up. Would it be worth my time to get a sd with a higher write speed for the ist DL?

01-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
Please stay away from 4GB cards that are not SDHC. Most are of dubious origin and quality. If your camera does not support SDHC, and I don't believe the *ist DL does then just buy a few 2GB cards. 2GB cards are a dime a dozen now so there is no excuse not to have several, and carry them with you too.

Newegg lists three 2GB cards for under $5.00 each and one even has free shipping.
2GB SD cards for UNDER $5 ?!
sounds scary, actually...but i'll have a look, anyhow.
01-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by driscollbowman Quote
Are the SDHC cards compatible with the *ist DL model?

Thanks,

DB
Yes, but you have to have upgraded the firmware, preferably to version 1.03. Instructions here:

Customer Support - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

I have used an 8Gb Transcend card in the DL with no trouble. When shooting JPEGs, the image counter stays on 999 for a long time.
01-25-2009, 06:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Yes, but you have to have upgraded the firmware, preferably to version 1.03. Instructions here:

Customer Support - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

I have used an 8Gb Transcend card in the DL with no trouble. When shooting JPEGs, the image counter stays on 999 for a long time.
I had forgotten abouit the firmware upgrade, nice catch.

With that said, my statement above about non-SDHC 4GB cards still stands. If you are going to use 4GB or higher cards make sure they are SDHC.

Posted on Newegg today:

Newegg.com - Transcend 4GB Secure Digital high-Capacity(SDHC) Class 6 Flash card Model TS4GSDHC6 - Flash Memory

4GB, $6.49 plus free shipping, how can you go wrong!

01-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
jbusser

I upgraded my Ist*DL to version 1.03 in order to use SDHC cards. I bought a 4GB (SDHC-) card from A-data but no pictures were saved. After about 4 pictures the camerasoftware stopped doing anything and only started properly after turning the camera off.
Later I experienced problems while copying files from my PC to my Adata memorycard. The system could not filnd the "allocated space" on my mem-card.

I also used an Adata memorystick (4GB) from A-data and the problem with that card was the creation of files. Copying 1 big file worked fine but copying a lot of small files (like my homepage-files) was very slow!

I'm affraid to buy a new (other brand) 4GB card (kingston or Apacer).
So...
Does anyone have experience with 4GB cards on the Idt*DL and does enyone experience problems with cards form Adata?
01-26-2009, 01:04 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

well, ironically, a couple weeks back I ordered two 4GB SD (not HC) cards from, you guessed it, The Flash Memory Store. They were here unopened in the envelope when i was reading these reviews and i ran to check the name of the vendor and yup, i got 'em.

My *ist DL does have the v1.03 firmware, BTW.
I did try out both cards and they have handled formatting, many snaps of jpeg and RAW images and several transfers from card to PC thus far and seem to be working just fine (knock on wood). At the first sign of failure, i'll give these to my kids for their SD card devices.
If anything, i notice the transfer from card to PC is faster than with my Sandisk cards - i dont know how to quantify that, but 50 RAW images are making the trip in approx half the time.

I shall keep you posted if one of these cards fails in a short time.

so far so good.