Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Suggestions for Camera bag?

Looking at a K20D... Just a kit lens for the time being. I'm a DSLR newbie who plans to do a lot of hiking with this camera.

Anyone suggest a good reasonably priced camera bag? I really have no idea what these go for, but $50-$75 budge? Is that unreasonably low?

Thanks,

Ken

01-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I bought a Tamrac backpack for about $70. There's a huge range of bags to choose from besides backpack style. There are slings, hard cases, square bags, etc.

For me, the backpack has worked great. There's room for non-camera items plus side pockets for bottles.
01-26-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
Forum Member

I think you have to decide what you want to carry around in your bag. There are tons of bags out there in every conceivable configuration. I have a LowePro Flipside 300 backpack style pack that I got from a seller on Amazon for $58 shipped. It carries a lot of gear and is still a compact package on my back (that was important as I am of a very small stature). I don't know if that's what you are looking for, but it is something to look at anyway. My K20 fits with grip attatched and a DA* 50-135mm lens with hood in shooting position, and still has a bit of room under the end of the lens. When you decide on your criteria, I'm sure you will get pleanty of suggestions from some knowlegable people on here.
01-26-2009, 06:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got the following less than a year ago.....

<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/563927-REG/Lowepro_LP35252_PEU_Nova_170_AW_Shoulder.html>

.....and I love it. It's just the right size for my K20D, the DA18-55 kit lens & the DA55-300 - alnog with a couple of filters. It's got a couple of memory card pockets besides the usual zippered pockets here and there, and it's even got a built-in weather cover that pulls out of one of the zipper pockets and covers the whole bag.

I hauled it all around New York City for a week last summer and it was great. It limited me to just enough equipment, and was small enough and light enough that I could carry it all day, bring it anywhere, and never feel like it was in the way.

Hope that helps,

Tim

01-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I prefer the LowePro sling bags. They do not shout "Camera Bag!". I manage to fit four lenses and a k10d with a grip into a 100AW, but that's only because I'm too cheap to admit I was too cheap in the first place and buy a 200AW instead. Check out the accessories forum for lots of choices in camera bags.
01-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #6

I have a 200AW and I have been very happy with it. The sling bags are very convenient to get stuff in and out of and, as was mentioned earlier, they do not look like high end camera bags.
01-26-2009, 07:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter

While the sling looks cool, it doesn't seem to be like it would be useful for hiking as the op said he would be doing.

I have a Tamrac Adventure 7
and I really like it. I go mountain biking, hiking and snowboarding with it on. Its pretty spacious I can fit my ist D, k1000, 4 primes and 2 zooms and a small flash in it, and thats just in the bottom compartment. The top part, I put batteries and film and filters or whatever else (snacks?). The bottle holders on the side are useful as well as the chest strap for outdoor activites, it also has a waist strap but I dont use it much.

If you are a "dslr newbie" and dont have as much equipment theres also a smaller version of this bag called the Adventure 6 which is pretty much identical just smaller.

edit: btw I think I got my adventure 7 for less than $75, cant remember what though, maybe $65?

01-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use mine (LowePro 100AW) for hiking in the mountains. There is a strap that turns it into a backpack like bag but when unclipped allows the bag to spin around to the front.
01-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I played with a rack full of bags and picked the Pentax Sling bag. I didn't like backpacks that I had to remove to get at the gear. The Sling bag is easy to bring around to the front for access and can be secured with a waist cinch for rougher country. It amazed me that a pack that small holds a K20D with grip and 16-45mm, 55-300, 100mm macro, small prime, large flash and all the ancillaries.
PentaxWebstore DSLR Sling Bag
01-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #10
Damn Brit

Thread moved to Accessory forum.
01-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

For just a K20d and a kit lens, you should have no real problem: I wouldn't worry about spending a lot of money, there. This isn't a difficult fit or anything, you'll just want it to hold the camera and lens with the hood on there. I'd suggest you get something maybe just big enough to hold the camera with lens attached and maybe another lens or a water bottle at most, or something that'll let you put the camera in with whatever else you may like to be carrying.

There may be more things later, after all.

If you'll already have a backpack, some folks like a belt-holster sort of arrangement, though. If you're a hiker, probably what will feel good to you will do fine.
01-27-2009, 05:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Lowpro fastpack 200 (or bigger)

Amazon.com: Lowepro Fastpack 200 (Black): Camera & Photo

Lowepro - Fastpack 200

It has the backpack comfort and the accessibility of a sling bag.

Sling bags are awesome to sling it over and access your camera from the sidepocket, but being with one shouylder harness, can be quite uncomfortable. The fast pack has two shoulder harness and releasing one would bring the bag forward to access the camer form the side pocket. I like it.
01-27-2009, 06:37 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have bought 5 bags plus made one hard case, over the years, and while I still use 4 bags, the home made hard case has been retired, but I find myself now considering a pellican case or 2.

the big issue for me is the conflict between needing one case (or more) to carry ALL my kit, and the desire to travel light once I get where I am going.

I presently use 2 different photo backpacks, one large phototrecker and one small computrecker, (lowepro) plus a stealthreported and small video shoulder bag.

Photo backpacks are greate for transporting a lot of kit, but become a bit cumbersome to walk around town with. Also note that small photo packpacks don't fit properly, the waist belt is too close to the shoulder points for comfort.

Big shoulder bags are also a pain because of the tendancy to over fill then
01-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I played with a rack full of bags and picked the Pentax Sling bag. I didn't like backpacks that I had to remove to get at the gear. The Sling bag is easy to bring around to the front for access and can be secured with a waist cinch for rougher country. It amazed me that a pack that small holds a K20D with grip and 16-45mm, 55-300, 100mm macro, small prime, large flash and all the ancillaries.
PentaxWebstore DSLR Sling Bag
I thought about the Pentax bag, and it seems well designed and properly constructed, but the LowePro sling I have does not scream "Expensive camera stuff in here! Steal Me!". The first thing I did when I bought my LowePro Trekker backpack was to take the brand displays off.
01-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I've had the Pentax Sling bag for a while now. It's pretty discrete when it comes to "screaming" expensive equipment in here. There's a small red "PENTAX" vertically written on the bag, other than that it's all black.

I really enjoy this bag and it's great for a camera, lens and a couple of accessories. Currently in mine I have K20D with DA*16-50 on it. In the accessory compartment below the camera I have the charger, extra batteries, DA 50-200 lens(kit). In the top compartment I have the flash and some extra flash batteries (AA). This is my grab and go camera bag and it's compact yet carries what I need.