Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

New tripod Head

Hi everyone,
I'm looking to get a new head for my tripod. My head now (Telos™ Series Ball Head (ATH-A02) by DynaTran) is OK but it annoys me in a few ways (it was pretty cheap). Also since I use a monopod and tripod (with both my camera and spotting scope) I'd like to get heads for both that take the same plate.

So the thing that annoys me most about my current heads is that the plate only has the one screw and not that other "pop up" piece that prevents the camera from rotating. Also you need a coin to screw it onto the camera/lens which is real annoying if you happen to forget to screw it in with or need to tighten it (hence the annoyance with that missing "pop up".

I know there are all kinds of options but I thought I'd ask for some 1st hand exp. before I purchase. If I had done this last year when I bought my current one I bet I would have ended up buying something else . I don't need the break the bank, the heaviest combo I use is the K20 with DA*300+1.5xTC

Thank in advance
John

Oh, I'm looking exclusively for a ball head (makes tracking moving objects like birds so much easier).

Last edited by palmor; 01-28-2009 at 03:16 PM.
01-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your current head has the semi-universal Arca Swiss style plate. If it is the plate that is bothersome, you should be able to find a compatible item with a different screw from any number of sources.

Steve
01-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Palmor,

Check out the Manfrotto range of monopods and their 222 joystick head. Their attaching plate system is excellent.

I have tried other types but I keep coming back to that head for ease of use, practicality and durability.

Cheers.
01-31-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi John,

I have the same head (and a couple of ATH-A01s), and have no problems with the supplied plate attached on the tripod collars of 300/2.8 class lenses. I tighten them with a little 1/4" drive ratchet and 14mm socket that I always keep in the "tools" pocket of whatever bag I'm carrying at the time -- this does a much better job than a coin and is a lot faster and easier to use. These lenses are a lot heavier than yours, and the plates do not move at all when tightened appropriately.

These heads might not be as smooth or precise as comparable "Pro" class heads, but IMO are better than the Manfrotto 48x heads that a lot of people seem to like, mostly because of the independent unlocked tension and panning controls . The plates and clamps are indeed Arca Swiss compatible, and IMO this is the best, and most universal of the QR types currently available. They are a bit fiddly though, but other A-S clamps like the Acratech double speed threaded knob clamp and the RRS lever type are just about as quick and easy to mount and lock as any other type available.

I used to use the Manfrotto RC2 system, but as the lenses grew bigger and heavier, this type of system, while adequately safe, was not really solid enough for me, so I've gone over to A-S style clamps and plates exclusively.

Scott

01-31-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
Damn Brit

Thread moved to accessories.