Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2009, 07:26 AM   #1
Forum Member

down to two bags, but which one???

Hey all, I think I've found the bags I'm looking for:
Lowepro Artic Blue Fastpack 250 Notebook and SLR backpack (89.99)
Costco - LoweproŽ Value Bundle Artic Blue Fastpack 250 Notebook and SLR Backpack

Lowepro Fastpack 350 Notebook and SLR backpack (99.99)
Costco - LoweproŽ Value Bundle Fastpack 350 Notebook & SLR Camera Backpack

I need a good bag that I can carry my laptop, k200d, and maybe 1 additional lens, plus a book or two and the cables in. There are lots of bags out there, but size is a concern. I have a good laptop bag, and a good sling bag for my camera, but for work travel, to get my camera and laptop to where I'm going togehter and with me, I need one consolidated bag. I was hoping for about $75, but under $100 is ok.

Would these bags be good, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks

02-10-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I know it's a matter of personal preference, but I'd rather put the money towards a good prime lens, since you already have bags for the laptop and camera that are at least adequate.

While I'm also new to this, evidently Lowepro makes very good camera bags. And I guess you could use the bag for the camera only... just leave the laptop in your hotel room or wherever. It looks like you get a little more size for the more expensive bag.

edit: I think with Costco's very liberal return policy, you could probably try one of the bags on your next trip. If you don't like it, return it, assuming you keep it in good shape, keep the tags, etc.. But check on the return policy with Costco first... I think they are tightening it up.
02-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, those are good bags, but I think they're bigger than you're looking for unless you want room to bring more lenses in the future. I have the Fastpack 350, and right now I have in it my K20D with battery grip,DA 10-17 fisheye, DA* 16-50, Pentax-F 50/1.7, DA* 50-135, and either the Bigma (Sigma 50-500) or the Tamron 70-200/2.8... This about fills up the camera/lens compartment on the bottom, but I could easily squeze in several more primes. Given that even the 250 picture on Lowepro's site shows it with the camera plus 5 lenses it might be a touch big for your needs.

It's a nice pack though, and even the 350 loaded as described above with a macbook in the laptop slot and the top stuffed full (a book or two and a tangle of cables and ipod earphones etc.) will fit under the seat on a typical airline (though I haven't tried it on a regional jet or a beech 1900 yet - I think it might squeeze in though). Look at the Fastpack 200 too.
02-10-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've had my FastPack 350 for just over a year and I love it. The camera section is way bigger than you need for your equipment but I was suprized how fast the top part fills up when you start adding compter gear (AC adapter, cables, mouse),

I'm really pleased how the bag has sling like access to the camera section. My only complaints are that the grab handle at the top is small and that the waist belt doesn't detach or tuck away. However, I have taken the waist belt and snapped it around the front of the bag under the security flap. Still gives sling bag access and gets the strap out of my way.

Tim