Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2009, 01:56 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just ordered this from Jinfinance and sent them a message that I would like some shims just for incase to come with this. Hopefully they will listen. Hopefully this screen fits right and works properly.

08-26-2009, 06:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Read through this thread for an explanation of the issues with spot metering and the split image focusing screens:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/51187-inexpensi...=spot+metering

Now, a bunch of much smarter and better photographers than me have mentioned on here that spot metering is a magical art and we must first master our cameras on Matrix and Center-Weighted metering before using Spot.

I never use in camera Spot metering since the spot is so big, might as well use Center-Weighted. When I want to spot meter, I pull out my Seckonic Spot Meter and use it instead since it is a true 1° spot. I have a Jinfinance in my Samsung GS-1S and a Focusingscreens K3 in my K20D and if they ever get the cross split image back in stock I will be ordering one of those for my other K20D.
08-28-2009, 10:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mteetank Quote
Hello,
I just picked up a k2000 from B&H and now want to get a focusing screen.
It sounds like you have screens from two different vendors. Did either of you notice a difference in brightness between your original screen and the replacement screen you used?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Regards,
mteetank
Sorry for the late reply, I have been very busy.

No I did not notice any change in brightness between the original and the one I ordred from jinfinance. I had another one I had ordered prior to my newest one (I recently sold it) and it was the same as well.
08-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Those of you who bought this, did they even provide you guys with a tracking number? I contacted Jinfinance asking if I could receive a tracking number but seem to ignored it. I sent another message just today asking if he shipped it yet, I could live without tracking but I want to make sure it's shipped at least since I ordered it 5 days ago.

08-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Those of you who bought this, did they even provide you guys with a tracking number? I contacted Jinfinance asking if I could receive a tracking number but seem to ignored it. I sent another message just today asking if he shipped it yet, I could live without tracking but I want to make sure it's shipped at least since I ordered it 5 days ago.
No tracking number as it is shipped HK Post, so it will arrive via the Postal Service.
08-31-2009, 04:27 PM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Sorry for the late reply, I have been very busy.

No I did not notice any change in brightness between the original and the one I ordred from jinfinance. I had another one I had ordered prior to my newest one (I recently sold it) and it was the same as well.
Thanks Rob, I ordered my from jinfinance. Hope all goes well.
greg
09-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #22

Original Poster
im still mystified why my jinfinance shipment came from pembrooke, NH.

i realized that my screen was front focusing, so I removed the shim that came with the k-m. After removing the stock shim, so it is just the focus screen, it works like a charm.

I also got an o-me53, so manual focusing is a blast now.

edit: it is just the tiniest bit off... works great tho

Last edited by eyou; 09-10-2009 at 04:22 PM.
09-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grishazzz Quote
What do you mean? Please explain. Spot metering is not accurate when using this custom screen?
The spot meter is attempting to meter where the split screen is (the center portion only of the screen). No screen with focusing aids can be relied on with the spot meter.
09-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I'm still waiting for mine to come, do you guys know how long it took for yours to come?
09-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I'm still waiting for mine to come, do you guys know how long it took for yours to come?
Received my jinfinance screen on September 7 after ordering it on August 27th.
Return address was from Suncook, NH.

I will be installing soon but am I ordered a digital VERNIER GAUGE MICROMETER (chinese of course) and will take measurments prior to installation. Will post once completed.

Hope that helps,
mteetank
09-13-2009, 09:44 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the product and the installation.
09-14-2009, 07:32 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the product and the installation.
DF,

Doens't matter who sells the screen they all look pretty much the same and install exactly the same way. Go to YouTube and you will find a bunch of videos showing the installation on a Pentax DSLR.
09-17-2009, 07:16 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Mine came yesterday and I just installed it yesterday, I still wasn't able to get it perfectly clean without any dust inside, but I manage to install it as clean as possible with only one speck of dust visible on the viewfinder.

I was surprised mine came with the 45 degree diagonal split one, the picture shows it was 90 degrees. I am guessing the 45 degrees is better? This screen works great so far with my original shims on, I will need to do more testing for further results. I might do it later on today. I didn't use the shims it came with but if I witness any front or back focus, I will probably change it. I tried it without any shims and I could see a bit of it being out of focus, so the original shims that came with the K-M works fine with this aftermarket diagonal split screen.

I will also possibly take pictures of what it looks like through the viewfinder too, it's sweet.
09-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Focusing screen dimensions

QuoteOriginally posted by mteetank Quote
Received my jinfinance screen on September 7 after ordering it on August 27th.
Return address was from Suncook, NH.

I will be installing soon but am I ordered a digital VERNIER GAUGE MICROMETER (chinese of course) and will take measurments prior to installation. Will post once completed.

Hope that helps,
mteetank
I received my digital VERNIER GAUGE MICROMETER today. $10 with free shipping from Hong Kong.....stainless steel, digital read out and a spare battery....How do they do that!!!. It is so cool. anyway.....

Here are the measurements:
OEM screen
26.34mm x 18mm x 1.524mm

jinfinance screen
26.24 mm x 18mm x 1.397mm

OEM shim (copper)
0.381mm (0.015")

The jin finance screen is 0.127mm (0.005") thicker than OEM.

I installed it with the original shim and it appears to match the auto focus. I have emailed jinfinance and requested a 0.254 mm shim. Will see if he sends it. Otherwise will need to fabricate from plastic.

That's all for now.
mteetank