Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #1

Focusing Screen for K2000/K-M

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I"m trying to get a focusing split prism screen for the k-m. I saw that focusingscreen.com has one for the k-m, but its ~$70. I'm trying to get one of those cheap ebay ones =) (can't see myself spending >$100 on such an entry level camera), but i havent seen any yet. Does the k-m share the same focusing screen as any of its other brothers in the product line? I noticed the k-m and k200d both have pentamirrors so maybe it would be the same fit? Thanks

02-10-2009, 11:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use one of those inexpensive Ebay screens and it is nice--large bang for the buck. If I were you, I would click on an Ebay link like this one Diagonal Split Image Focus Screen Pentax K100D K200D DL - eBay (item 200278871297 end time Feb-19-09 15:44:33 PST)

......and then opt to "ask the seller a question." I am sure the sellers of these things would love to find the answer to your question because it will bring them increased sales for sure. Tell them your camera make and model. One of the screens they already sell might even fit the k-m. Best of luck.
02-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
thanks for the message... Km actually uses the same size screen as K100D , but it seems that the thickness is a bit different... so that need to be adjusted... we're not sure of the exact thickness yet...

best...

- jinfinance
QuoteQuote:
hello dear,
we haven't it.
best regards!

- jiakgong
doenst look like it yet. The $80 for the focusingscreen.com is just too much for a $400 camera. guess it will have to wait
08-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #4

Original Poster
I noticed that Jinfinance now has listed a k2000/k-m focusing screen. I just purchased one myself. I asked him to throw in some shims in case (b/c the reason it wouldnt work was incorrect thickness?), which he said he will but he says it should work fine.

I've been waiting for a focus screen for a while for the k-m/k2000 from a chinese vendor. focusingscreens.com has one for $70, and katz-eye has one, but i wanted a cheaper alternative.

I'll post again when i receive the item and test it.

Last edited by eyou; 08-02-2009 at 07:07 PM.
08-02-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey I'm looking forward to your testing once you get it!
08-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I use one of those inexpensive Ebay screens and it is nice--large bang for the buck. If I were you, I would click on an Ebay link like this one Diagonal Split Image Focus Screen Pentax K100D K200D DL - eBay (item 200278871297 end time Feb-19-09 15:44:33 PST)

......and then opt to "ask the seller a question." I am sure the sellers of these things would love to find the answer to your question because it will bring them increased sales for sure. Tell them your camera make and model. One of the screens they already sell might even fit the k-m. Best of luck.

Hey Jewell!

I love my screen from jinfinance!

IMO it is the best of the inexpensive screens and thanks to you as to the reason I bought it!
08-06-2009, 06:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Hey Jewell!

I love my screen from jinfinance!

IMO it is the best of the inexpensive screens and thanks to you as to the reason I bought it!
It doesn't come with a tweezer, what exactly do you use and do to get the screen out and the new one in? Also what room do you swap it in, the restroom?

08-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
It doesn't come with a tweezer, what exactly do you use and do to get the screen out and the new one in? Also what room do you swap it in, the restroom?
Mine came with finger condems. If you can gently pry it out with your fingers strapped with these condems, that should work. You may have to buy the plastic twezzers however if your fingers are to big and the screen is stubborn releasing itself from the frame. You can also try tilting the camera gently forward to pry it lose.

You have to be very careful as to not put any undue pressure on the frame assembly as it looks to be very fragile.

Yes a restroom would be ideal as long as it as dust free as possible.

Any room would suffice however.

Just make sure you take care to keep the screen from comming in contact with dust.

I set my screen on a lint free camera cloth prior to instalation.

And remmber the jinfinance screens may come with a trasparent cover on both sides to protect it. (mine did).
08-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Mine came with finger condems. If you can gently pry it out with your fingers strapped with these condems, that should work. You may have to buy the plastic twezzers however if your fingers are to big and the screen is stubborn releasing itself from the frame. You can also try tilting the camera gently forward to pry it lose.
Hello,
I just picked up a k2000 from B&H and now want to get a focusing screen.
It sounds like you have screens from two different vendors. Did either of you notice a difference in brightness between your original screen and the replacement screen you used?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Regards,
mteetank
08-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #10

Original Poster
tho I ordered mine from jinfinance, my package came from New Hampshire? No condoms, no tweezers, and there was a defect on the screen. At first I was pretty happy with it, but then realized it is not truly accurate. When the picture is in focus, the split does not exactly line up.

When the prism says it is right, the focus is slightly closer than it should be. Can i add scotch tape or something to increase the shim thickness to make it work?

i was pretty disappointed with this purchase....
08-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Does autofocus work with these jinfinance focusing screens? And eyou, you said that it's not truly accurate, does this mess with the autofocusing in any way?
08-25-2009, 10:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Does autofocus work with these jinfinance focusing screens? And eyou, you said that it's not truly accurate, does this mess with the autofocusing in any way?
1. Yes
2. No
08-25-2009, 11:17 PM   #13
Forum Member

So this screen from "jinfinance" is not accurate, right?
I am in the same boat, I don't want to spend too much on this screen, so I am thinking about getting this one.
08-26-2009, 12:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grishazzz Quote
So this screen from "jinfinance" is not accurate, right?
I am in the same boat, I don't want to spend too much on this screen, so I am thinking about getting this one.
Incorrect.

Screen works fine. Only issue involves spot metering, not focusing!
08-26-2009, 12:38 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
Incorrect.

Screen works fine. Only issue involves spot metering, not focusing!
What do you mean? Please explain. Spot metering is not accurate when using this custom screen?