Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New SD memory card.

For members interest, item in this mornings paper tells that Sandisk is about to release a new SD memory card which will hold 64gig.
No mention of cost, but what an asset for trip abroad etc.

02-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I am surprised it has taken this long and really thought that 100 and 200 GB cards were being released this year.
But then when I was 14 and often reading all my grandfather's Popular Mechanics magazines, I was also confident that when it was time for me to get my driver's license, we would all have hover crafts.
02-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
no real surprise to me.... its only been recently that they've managed the 32nm process.....

with something as small as SD/SDHC/microSD, it's hard to fit an increasing amount of capacitors into a small place - which has been shown to be true with CPU's (the 45nm process was only "figured out" recently)

also, keep in mind that the 2TB theoretical capacity of SDHC cards are just that - theoretical. and it's only like that because of the specification - i.e. memory on the card itself is stored in a particular way that would theoretically make the maximum capacity of the card 2TB... what's needed to make it real is the actual technology to make things even smaller...

anyway... good stuff that they're gonna make 64gb cards... it'll make the 16's cheaper... heh
02-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This will be a good news to those who have SD/SDHC recording HD video cameras, much less so to us for now, I suppose.

02-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

64GB!! Holy cow!

OT I just bought a micro-SD for my phone - man those things are tiny. Got a sandisk so it came with an SD adaptor.
02-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm not sure about the traveling part. That's a lot of faith in a postage stamp sized piece of technology. I think I'll get many smaller cards and one of these HyperDrives. They read and preview PEF's so it's great to review your work as you go. Small enough to slip into your camera bag.