Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Bactman Quote
For daytrips, I like the Lowepro 200 sling bag. Traveled to Europe and used it every day without any problems. I am actually thinking about switching to the Crumpler 6 million dollar home as I tend to like the messenger bags better than sling bags.

I have a backpack, but it is a camera/laptop combo that, while works like a champ, is best suited for distance traveling instead of day trips. Good luck!
I've never heard of the Crumpler bags - until now. I just checked them out on Amazon (I live by the customer reviews there) and plan to order a 6 million bag today! I was at odds, because I thought I wanted a sling bag for accessibility, but this is much better for my personal tastes. Thanks for the mention that got these wheels rolling for me.

02-20-2009, 01:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the lowepro slingshot isn't a bad bag, i think it does take some getting used to. Personally, and maybe its because im a bigger guy, i wasn't too keen on it's "spin me around and access me". I tended to take it off to be more careful, if nothing else

I grabbed the Inverse (200aw) when they came out, and I love it. The Slingshot was used last when we went to aruba, just as the camera carry on for all the smaller cameras and their chargers.
02-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Prairie Dog Quote
Big Lowepro fan here and have a lot of their bags and cases, straps, etc. but recently wanted a bigger backpack. I was seriously considering the mini trekker, mostly for the tripod carrier and size. Instead, I just purchased the KATA 3N1 30 with the new tripod carrier attachment and think I will be pretty happy with it on some upcoming camera travel. They put a totally concealable strap system in it. You can totally hide the shoulder straps and waist strap when stowing the pack under the airplane seat, for instance and eliminating the strap clutter nuisance. Lowepro doesn't make any provision for concealing or getting the straps out of your way. Also the KATA shoulder straps can be used conventionally, in an x-configuration, or even as a right or left sling. Well thought out bag. Lots of information on their website, and demonstration videos on youtube, too...........check 'em out on B & H site; they are including the tripod carrier, which is detachable, by the way, and there's a rebate on the 3 models of bags. The 3n1 10 (small) will cost you about the same, after the rebate, as the micro trekker. For a shoulder bag, I'm real pleased with the Lowepro Stealth Reporter 200AW.
Hi Prairie Dog,

I'm thinking to get Kata 3N1-30 with the tripod holder too.
But I read the load capacity of the tripod holder only 2kg max.
Did you ever test it with bigger tripod?
How sturdy is that tripod holder?

For OP, check this Kata 3N1 series. A very good and versatile backpack that also works as sling bag (left/right). That's why they call it 3N1.
I tried it in the store before and love it.
02-24-2009, 04:02 PM   #19

HermanLee:

Haven't watched the forum much for the last couple of days, so here are my thoughts. I searched for specs on that tripod holder and came up mostly empty handed. Also could not find the holder for sale by itself, except as an included accessory when I bought the KATA bag from B&H, so it was thrown in on the deal. 2KG weight maximum looks right if that is what it is. I had travel and light weight in mind and am using it with an under 2 pound SLIK tripod I just wrote about in this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/39453-most-affo...tml#post501848

The holder is more than adequate with this tripod, and actually it's probably the type of lightweight tripod the designers had in mind. I wanted to get away from the heavy old Tilt-All I have been using for years. Regardless of the performance of the tripod, I wanted a lightweight outfit including bag, camera stuff and tripod plus personal effects all in one bag and this rig pretty much fills the bill for me anyway.

02-25-2009, 12:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

HermanLee:

Haven't watched the forum much for the last couple of days, so here are my thoughts. I searched for specs on that tripod holder and came up mostly empty handed. Also could not find the holder for sale by itself, except as an included accessory when I bought the KATA bag from B&H, so it was thrown in on the deal. 2KG weight maximum looks right if that is what it is. I had travel and light weight in mind and am using it with an under 2 pound SLIK tripod I just wrote about in this thread:
Here is the link for the tripod holder for sale by itself for Kata 3N1 bags:
Kata Tripod Holder for 3N1 Sling/Backpack by Bogen Imaging Inc.

I couldn't find the spec anymore, sorry.
Thanks for your info.
02-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by deludel Quote
I've never heard of the Crumpler bags - until now. I just checked them out on Amazon (I live by the customer reviews there) and plan to order a 6 million bag today! I was at odds, because I thought I wanted a sling bag for accessibility, but this is much better for my personal tastes. Thanks for the mention that got these wheels rolling for me.
The 6 million dollar home arrived in the mail yesterday ... I can see why it's so popular, but my first impression was it's too big for what I am looking for. The width/height is ok .. but it "pops out" pretty far from your hip. It's got a LOT of room in it, so that makes sense.

I have two basic bag needs:
1) A "hold everything bag" for when I travel .. k10/kit lens/28-77mm f2.8/80-300mm f4/flash/misc accessories

2) A "day trip" bag for the camera, an extra lens, and maybe the flash + my cell phone and wallet.

Examples: I have a 10-day trip planned in Orlando and a 2-week trip planned to France this year. I need bag #1 to GET my stuff there, but bag #2 for when I am there .. I dont want to lug EVERYTHING around with me during the day.

Anywhow .. the 6 million dollar bag is a good option for #1, and I may keep it for that. I went ahead and ordered the 5 million dollar bag for #2 .. it hasn't come yet, but after checking the diminsions I think it's more what I was looking for. (they're not cheap, so I may return the 6MD bag, not sure yet)

I'll post pics as soon as I have them both sideXside.
02-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

check this too

kata and tamrac brand..

they have very nice collection..

02-26-2009, 10:04 AM   #23

I stick one of these in my existing messenger bag, laptop backpack or regular backpack depending on the flavor of that day. Cost effective if you already have a bag. Also allows you to move around without advertising what you are carrying.

Tenba | Pro Digital 2.0 Photo Insert | 638-251 | B&H Photo Video
03-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #24
Veteran Member

HermanLee:

Haven't watched the forum much for the last couple of days, so here are my thoughts. I searched for specs on that tripod holder and came up mostly empty handed.
Prairie Dog,

Here finally I found that info about the KATA 3N1 Tripod Holder.
It's in kata website, actually.
Link: (click on the 4th slide show for the spec)
Video bags camera bags Kata - Manufacturer of camera bags

Yes, it states that only hold 2kg max
03-02-2009, 12:48 PM   #25

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Kata 3n1-30 with tripod holder. The holder works for my Manfrotto Pro Carbon Fiber tripod (190CXPro4) with Ball head (322RC2). Don't know its exact weight, but it works.
03-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
I have the Kata 3n1-30 with tripod holder. The holder works for my Manfrotto Pro Carbon Fiber tripod (190CXPro4) with Ball head (322RC2). Don't know its exact weight, but it works.
Your total tripod weight is 1.975 kg (according to B&H Photo website)
Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 190CXPRO4 4-Section Carbon Fiber
so it's exactly under the the Tripod Holder max capacity of 2kg.

BTW, do you have picture showing your tripod mounted on the bag with tripod holder?
Thanks,
03-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #27

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
Your total tripod weight is 1.975 kg (according to B&H Photo website)
Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 190CXPRO4 4-Section Carbon Fiber
so it's exactly under the the Tripod Holder max capacity of 2kg.

BTW, do you have picture showing your tripod mounted on the bag with tripod holder?
Thanks,
Here is one I took for you. Are you seeing what you want?

User Photo Gallery - Miscellaneous
03-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
Here is one I took for you. Are you seeing what you want?

User Photo Gallery - Miscellaneous
Yes, thanks
03-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #29
Veteran Member

If you're looking for good value, consider the Canon 200EG:
03-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very informative thread. I'm impressed with all of the answers and suggestions, well thought out.

This is what I use:

Lowepro Rezo 120 AW - this can be belt held or strap over the shoulder. Enough room to hold my digital or film SLR body, short telephoto lens, maybe 2 other short length lenses. For a day pack this works fine.

Some knock-off bag that cost $30. 11"x 7" X 7" This bag has enough room for a camera body, maybe 6 lenses (telephoto 70-300mm or 18-55mm kit lenses) plus assorted pockets for batteries cards, cleaning supplies, etc. Has a strap & carry handle.

For long term carry, hard case luggage with custom foam inserts. I don't fly, so I can take it with me anywhere in the U.S. without worry.

Last edited by chalion; 03-04-2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: didn't like the link