Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Camera Bag / Backpack

I really need one of these since my collection of lenses for the *ist DS is getting much larger, and having two brands of camera isn't helping either! I saw the Lowerpro Micro Trekker 100 and I really like it, although it doesn't have too much space, but enough for me to bring what I want on trips...but are there any other good backpack or bag type bags that work good? I don't want to spend too much.

Last edited by jct us101; 02-12-2009 at 03:42 PM.
02-13-2009, 07:36 AM   #2

What other features are you looking for, like security, style of backpack (i.e., does it stick out as a camera bag?), laptop compartment, ease of use, ruggedness, etc. Do you plan to use the bag on a daytrip or for transit across the country? That could mean the difference between a sling bag and backpack.

And the search for the perfect camera bag continues for us all ....
02-13-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
really depends how much you want to spend.

for $25 and a little ingenuity, this Targus is my ideal camera bag from point A to point B.

YouTube - Targus "dslr" bag tested
02-13-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I really just want something easy that holds some stuff on day trips. Not too much though.

02-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #5

For daytrips, I like the Lowepro 200 sling bag. Traveled to Europe and used it every day without any problems. I am actually thinking about switching to the Crumpler 6 million dollar home as I tend to like the messenger bags better than sling bags.

I have a backpack, but it is a camera/laptop combo that, while works like a champ, is best suited for distance traveling instead of day trips. Good luck!
02-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nah, I don't think I like the sling bags...
02-13-2009, 10:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I find the Lowepro Compuday pack perfect for my everyday needs. It fits my K20D with grip, 16-50, 50-135 and a 540 flash or two primes (50/1.4 and 35/2 or whatever.) It has a compartment for my laptop and a third compartment that fits an external HD, cables, chargers, my ipod, my PSP, extra batts, SD cards, extra tshirt, etc... plus the size is not at all large. I also have a medium Nat Geo backpack, it's bulkier but I feel it fits the same stuff as the Lowepro, if not less.

02-18-2009, 06:36 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
really depends how much you want to spend.
for $25 and a little ingenuity, this Targus is my ideal camera bag from point A to point B.
What is the model of this backpack? Did you customized it for the camera?

Last edited by kaltarrr; 02-18-2009 at 07:03 AM.
02-19-2009, 02:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Nah, I don't think I like the sling bags...
I was up in the air about sling bags, but bought the Lowepro 200 to try. I really like it. It's easy on, easy off, and holds a lot of stuff.

If the 200 is too big for your needs, you might also consider the Pentax bag for around $50.
02-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are 2 versions of the Pentax slingbag out there. There is the one with 3 main compartments plus a pocket and one with 2 main compartments plus a pocket.

These links are for the 3 main compartment version: PentaxWebstore DSLR Sling Bag

and the older one: Pentax | D-SLR Sling Bag (Black) | 85120 | B&H Photo Video

If you look around, you can get it cheaper than these 2 sites.
02-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #11

Big Lowepro fan here and have a lot of their bags and cases, straps, etc. but recently wanted a bigger backpack. I was seriously considering the mini trekker, mostly for the tripod carrier and size. Instead, I just purchased the KATA 3N1 30 with the new tripod carrier attachment and think I will be pretty happy with it on some upcoming camera travel. They put a totally concealable strap system in it. You can totally hide the shoulder straps and waist strap when stowing the pack under the airplane seat, for instance and eliminating the strap clutter nuisance. Lowepro doesn't make any provision for concealing or getting the straps out of your way. Also the KATA shoulder straps can be used conventionally, in an x-configuration, or even as a right or left sling. Well thought out bag. Lots of information on their website, and demonstration videos on youtube, too...........check 'em out on B & H site; they are including the tripod carrier, which is detachable, by the way, and there's a rebate on the 3 models of bags. The 3n1 10 (small) will cost you about the same, after the rebate, as the micro trekker. For a shoulder bag, I'm real pleased with the Lowepro Stealth Reporter 200AW.
02-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have the Lowerpro Micro Trekker 100. I think it is too small.

It can hold a K10D body (no vertical grip) with a Sigma 18-50 DC EX F/2.8 attached, a Pentax 540 flash, and a medium-size lens. That's about it.

If you are taller than I am (5'6"), you will find it uncomfortable to carry the bag on your back. The chest straps and the waist straps are not in the correct positions and thus become useless. My son, about 5'2", finds it OK.

I suggest a larger bag in the Micro Trekker series.

I also have a Tamrac Adventure 9, but I think it's overkill in most cases.
02-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I bought a LowePro Sling bag, tried it out with all my gear, and took it right back. Terribly uncomfortable for me. Picked up a Crumpler 6 million dollar bag.

Best bag I've owned.

Also picked up one of those little lowepro ecological pouches (don't remember the proper name) & put it on my crumpler bag strap. Holds polarizer filters nicely.
02-20-2009, 12:13 AM   #14
Forum Member

Tamrac 7 backpack/laptop slot for me. I have had it over 1 year and still looks new. Very comfortable and for flying it fits under the seat in front of me or the overhead. Holds K10D with 16-50, 50-135, flash, FA50, filters, external harddrive all in the camera section. Laptop in slot with a couple magazines. Zip up pouch holds quite a bit of other stuff. Very pleased with it
02-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davek Quote
I bought a LowePro Sling bag, tried it out with all my gear, and took it right back. Terribly uncomfortable for me. Picked up a Crumpler 6 million dollar bag.

Best bag I've owned.

Also picked up one of those little lowepro ecological pouches (don't remember the proper name) & put it on my crumpler bag strap. Holds polarizer filters nicely.
Which model LowePro was it and what did you find uncomfortable about it?