Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
Forum Member

What would be the best camera bag for moutain biking

I am looking for a bag that I can bring with me when I ride !
any idea ?

02-12-2009, 08:37 PM   #2

I guess you'll be looking for a backpack or waist pack. Slings don't work well as it swings around unless there is a cross strap and the weight is not distributed evenly.

I have found recently a waistpack works well, easy access and it allows me to wear a camelpack as well. So far I do not know any photo specific packs with hydration slots.

You would use photo backpacks with laptop compartments and use that for hydration bladders... I don't have one so cannot comment on how good that is. Leakage can be an issues though.

My waistpack is the bottom part of a Thinktank 360. They make a seprate dedicated waistpack as well.

You can get equivilents in Tamrac or LowePro but I have not had any exp with them.

Cheers
Shang
02-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
depends a lot on what you want to do and spend

Mine is $25 Targus fits a lot of kit with 2 bodies + 3 or more lenses. the big plus is the padding.

tried doing this with camera bags not to mention a commercial made bag?
YouTube - Targus "dslr" bag tested
02-12-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Something along the lines of a Pelican case in a backpack style camera bag or even a regular backpack would do a decent job of protecting your gear if you are worried about impacts or water. Not as convenient for getting at a camera quickly though.

02-13-2009, 01:47 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sychen Quote
I have found recently a waistpack works well, easy access and it allows me to wear a camelpack as well. So far I do not know any photo specific packs with hydration slots.

Cheers
Shang
Lowepro Primus AW has an external hatch compartment that can be used with a hydration system. Works very well and leakage is not a problem as the bladder is completely outside of the main compartment.

I don't cycle though, so not sure how comfortable that backpack will be on the bike...
02-13-2009, 07:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Demarp Quote
I am looking for a bag that I can bring with me when I ride !
any idea ?
Wouldn't you rather go mountain bike riding with an attractive woman rather than some old bag?
You mountain bike riding guys are very strange.
02-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, it seems mountain bikers like backpacks, presumably for good reasons, but since I did a stint as a courier, I actually prefer my actual messenger bag for occasions when I can still ride, with whatever inserts I need in there. Worn properly, they do the job well and aren't trying to pull you out of riding position, and they're easier to work out of once you get where you're going.

Sometimes I wonder if there'd be applications there for the off-road crowd. I imagine not so much.

02-13-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
One that pedals the bike for me, gets my vote.
02-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #9
Forum Member

Lowepro - Off Trail 1 or 2

I used the Lowepro Off Trail 1 for about 10 years with my old Canon SLR. It is a minimalist waistpack, just big enough for your camera and attached lens. It comes with two detachable lens compartments which give you the flexibility to either leave them at home or bring them along. I used it for rock climbing/mountaineering and liked it because it was small, sits close to your body, and is easily accessible.
Name:  Lowepro - Off Trail 1.jpg
Views: 3381
Size:  23.0 KB
The problem is, it is a bit small for my K10D, so I am thinking about moving up to the Off Trail 2 which is a bit bigger. Also, my DA14 doesn't fit very well in the lens compartment.

I think they also make one called the Photo Runner which is specifically designed for runners and cyclists, but I have no experience with it.

I also have a Zing, which is an ultra-minimalist neoprene case that tightly wraps around your camera. It seems to provide decent protection and isn't much bigger than the camera. The problem is it has no strap, so you have to use your camera strap. Plus, when you take it off, it either just hangs from the camera which is annoying, or you have to shove it in your pocket or something. It is good if you are shoving the camera in your pack and want some (minimal) protection or don't mind throwing the camera over your shoulder like a messenger bag.
Name:  Zing.jpg
Views: 6386
Size:  22.8 KB
02-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Shamwow. Apply directly to spills.
02-13-2009, 02:54 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since hard impacts are commonplace and spills inevitable in mountain biking
I can't imagine any bag would provide truly adequate protection for a SLR/DSLR.

For touring I carried a point & shoot, and stored it in a cushioned case
inside a bag attached to the handlebars, seat or rear rack.

Chris
02-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

What kind of riding do you do?

Like somebody else mentioned, there is that possibility of damage. If you're into riding difficult singletrack, you're going to crash sooner or later. If you go over the bars or endo with a backpack full of hard metal camera gear, you could suffer serious injuries. Guess it depends on your definition of "mountain-biking". The other thing is, if you're working up a sweat out on the trail, the things inside that pack usually get a little damp as well.

I'd probably go for one of those Topeak (or similar) quick-release seatpost racks, and their matching slide-on luggage bag. Add some padding inside so things won't bounce around too much.

I guess it depends on whether the photography will be incidental to the riding, or vice-versa. If the former, you might want to consider a decent point & shoot instead. Something like that could probably fit in the average-sized seatpack, and some of them (I like the Canon A620) can produce surprisingly good images.

Anyways, hey Demarp isn't it a little too early for mountain-biking in your neck of the woods???
02-16-2009, 06:44 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
moutnain biking

I am looking for a back pack that could bring my stuff safe and sound to the area I want a make a photoshoot !
So yes it is not the best idea to ride and bring all my camera gear with me but those days will be more for taking photos than riding so I will be more carefull.

Here it is full of snow but I am preparing my season. I have said to my friend that I wanted take some action shot and riding shot so this summer I have to do it !
02-16-2009, 07:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

How much stuff are you talking about, here? And what actual terrain?
02-16-2009, 08:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Sounds Like Backpack Then

I was just basing on personal experience- last time I crashed I ended up flat on my back (a Camelbak water bladder actually makes a decent cushion! ). Thus the concern for injury. Your plan sounds pretty fun though, bet you get some great shots. I have a LowePro backpack that works pretty well, got it pretty cheap at B&H. Although with a camera and 4 or 5 lenses that sucker feels pretty weighty after a while! Good luck whatever you decide.