Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2009, 08:24 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's just a matter of getting the stuff there, how about some on-bike racks/panniers etc? (Picturing someone bringing studio kit in one of those baby-carrying trailers. )

02-16-2009, 09:06 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
If it's just a matter of getting the stuff there, how about some on-bike racks/panniers etc? (Picturing someone bringing studio kit in one of those baby-carrying trailers. )
That might be a wiser choice as a backpack raises the center of gravity much higher and along with that the higher chance of a spill. Falling on the backpack may cushion you but its more likely to cause additional injury by creating a whiplash effect. My choice would be a well cushioned camera bag securely strapped to a luggage rack. Panniers are ok but the weight should be even on each side for stability and the camera would be vulnerable if you laid it down on that side.
02-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
That might be a wiser choice as a backpack raises the center of gravity much higher and along with that the higher chance of a spill. Falling on the backpack may cushion you but its more likely to cause additional injury by creating a whiplash effect. My choice would be a well cushioned camera bag securely strapped to a luggage rack. Panniers are ok but the weight should be even on each side for stability and the camera would be vulnerable if you laid it down on that side.

Well, he already said he wouldn't be riding hard... It's kind of a drawback of riding with stuff on the actual bike frame, it gets every bump and jostle, uninsulated by your body, guaranteed, as well as, actually, meaning you can't *control* where the weight goes, should you have maneuvering trouble.

The OP hasn't said what he's proposing to be carrying, yet, anyway, but, biased as I am, I'd go with the familiar courier bag, add sensible insurance, and not take any extra risks about putting the bike down. You can always dismount. I've carried all kinds of crazy stuff among lots of impatient moving objects, roads, yes, but with the occasional sudden terrain hazard popping up at speed. and never mooshed a cargo, even when I *did* put the bike down. (Admittedly, that was when I passed out as a stoplight, and was about the point where I realized I wasn't well enough to be doing that job, but still. )

It could even be the *best* way to go, to wear your kit, if one can just avoid any mountain-biker instincts to take any chances. Obviously, as a *sport* the point of mountain biking isn't to play it safe, but as a means of conveyance, you can just slow down.

Nice thing about a courier bag is, you can even shoot out of it, even still across your shoulder on a shortened strap. Or, just put it off the shoulder like a conventional bag, when you get there.

As centers of gravity go, with a courier bag, you actually want it higher, where you can control it. It's a little counterintuitive, and I wouldn't want to assail steep slopes that way, but you can carry stuff.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-16-2009 at 10:46 AM.
02-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice thing about a courier bag is, you can even shoot out of it, even still across your shoulder on a shortened strap.
Hey RatMagic I think they have different gun laws in Canada! So is that the way couriers settle road rage in Georgia???

02-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
backpack

Well thanks everybody ! like I have said when I will bring my gear it will not really be riding for me but more a mather of getting everything safe and sound at the location but I will still have to ride in the same trail my friends are riding and sometimes it is very hard terrain.
Here is what I want to bring with me
K10D
Few lenses maybe 2 or 3 including SIGMA 70-200 f2,8
Flashes 2-AF540FGZ and 2-AF360FGZ
Flashwaves transmitter and 4 receivers.
and some superclamps to attached flashes to whatever is around.
few filters and cleaning kit
02-17-2009, 10:11 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
Hey RatMagic I think they have different gun laws in Canada! So is that the way couriers settle road rage in Georgia???
Hey, I'm not from here, you know.
02-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Demarp Quote
Well thanks everybody ! like I have said when I will bring my gear it will not really be riding for me but more a mather of getting everything safe and sound at the location but I will still have to ride in the same trail my friends are riding and sometimes it is very hard terrain.
Here is what I want to bring with me
K10D
Few lenses maybe 2 or 3 including SIGMA 70-200 f2,8
Flashes 2-AF540FGZ and 2-AF360FGZ
Flashwaves transmitter and 4 receivers.
and some superclamps to attached flashes to whatever is around.
few filters and cleaning kit
Thats quite a bit of gear and I will also assume there will be some water, food and perhaps some extra clothing such as a lite jacket or raingear. Thats going to make for pretty big backpack or courier bag. Its your call. A rack and pannier setup can be removed from the bike once you get to your destination. Your stuff is going to get bounced around quite a bit. On your back thats a good amount of weight. Hope its a short ride.

02-17-2009, 11:05 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Thats quite a bit of gear and I will also assume there will be some water, food and perhaps some extra clothing such as a lite jacket or raingear. Thats going to make for pretty big backpack or courier bag. Its your call. A rack and pannier setup can be removed from the bike once you get to your destination. Your stuff is going to get bounced around quite a bit. On your back thats a good amount of weight. Hope its a short ride.
I'm wondering if he couldn't distribute some of that stuff among his friends, as well-protected as it can be packed.
02-18-2009, 07:49 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
good idea

Hmmm !! this could be a solution !

I'm wondering if he couldn't distribute some of that stuff among his friends, as well-protected as it can be packed.
02-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Yay. Actually, I've found here and there that people who are a little invested in the setup, starting by virtue of having been schlepping the gear, tend to be a bit more interested in it, and thus patient with any setup. It's a good way to make folks part of that process, rather than sitting around waiting for it.

I presume you know you need all those flash units and such, yes?