Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Best memory card for Pentax DSLR

I've got a K10D...I try different memory cards to see if any are better. Any recommendations ..or do you think there is no difference ?

02-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, I haven't tried every one out there but I've run Sandisk, Kingston, Transend and PNY cards on both the K10D and K20D and for me the Sandisk Extreme III SDHC is the undisputed champ.
02-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #3
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So far has not made a difference to me. Spent good part of first year learning k10 shooting JPEGs and using generic SD cards. Moving on to DNG now and using Sandisk Extreme HDSC card. Works well for me, I have had no problems. Good luck.
02-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
Forum Member

There's always a difference.... And I always use Sandisk. I've heard of and seen a lot of people having issues with other cards, but never with a Sandisk.

By all accounts the Ultra II is pleanty fast for a K10 or K200 and they're really inexpensive right now.

02-12-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
WRB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMHO the best card would be Sandisk

I buy them on sale and have Sandisk II - 2gb 4ea Sandisk Extreme III 2 gb 4ea 4gb 4 ea, 8gb 2 ea - I have used them all without failure. I tried a lesser priced brand once and had trouble with them fitting properly. That was it for me. I only will use Sandisk.
02-12-2009, 11:39 PM   #6
Ari
Veteran Member

I've had really good luck with pny. It seems (to me, at least) a great balance between price and performance. Just stay away from really off-brand names. There definitely is a difference (especially when they don't work, and you're on vacation, and you can't find a replacement........happened to me ) I had 2 PQI cards fail on my k10. Here is a good deal on the cards I've been using in both k10, k20 and a few canon point and shoots:
http://www.amazon.com/PNY-P-SDHC16G4-FS-Secure-Digital-High-Capacity/dp/B001...4507508&sr=8-3
I might be picking one of these up! Best Buy had 8gb's for $24.99 a few months ago.

Last edited by Ari; 02-12-2009 at 11:47 PM.
02-13-2009, 12:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've never heard any issues with sandisk, to echo the previous poster =) I'm using an Ultra II on my K100d. Been a year and no issues so far. Hope this continues...

02-13-2009, 01:31 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Well, I haven't tried every one out there but I've run Sandisk, Kingston, Transend and PNY cards on both the K10D and K20D and for me the Sandisk Extreme III SDHC is the undisputed champ.
if you are slightly out of budget or go for Sandisk Ultra II. For K10D it works just fine...
02-13-2009, 01:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

In my experience with SD cards over the past several years, I have found they are all pretty much the same. Some have a faster speed when uploading to the computer, but all in all, the same cheap 2 gig Kingston and Dane cards I bought 4 years ago is just as reliable as the more expensive 4 gig Extreme 3 I received for Christmas this year. Of the 6-7 cards I own, none is any more or less desirable than the other, in my opinion. One or another doesn't produce a better image, only obvious difference is the capacity (most of mine are 2 gig anyway) and the slight speed difference when uploading, but that is marginal.

My philosophy still, to this day is...cheap option works fine as long as from a reputable dealer where you can exhcange if you buy a dud, which has never happened to me, knock on wood.

Jason
02-13-2009, 01:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jak442 Quote
There's always a difference.... And I always use Sandisk. I've heard of and seen a lot of people having issues with other cards, but never with a Sandisk.
Oh I've heard plenty of people having problems with SanDisk SD cards; and I'm sure they were the cards weren't fake. You might just be lucky.
02-13-2009, 07:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Yeah at the risk of sounding like some other jackass, if you have to ask "what is the best SD card for your digital camera?" then the answer should be "It makes little difference."
Find a store in your area or one you trust online and wait for sale and get two so you can judge for yourself within your standards, your expectations and price budget. Eight to ten bucks for a 2GB card is an average sale price so if you are familiar with the brand name, go ahead and get two and you will be satisfied. The tiny things last a very long time.
If this advice just seems rude to you, by all means read some of the other posts one more time and then just think about what I have typed here.
02-13-2009, 07:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have no problem with ATP, Sandisk, Transcend & Panasonic. The truth is every brand have their share of card failure, even the popular Sandisk & Lexar (just search Amazon user reviews). I just wish all SD cards have more rigid plastic shells, but Panasonic stands out built quality wise.
02-13-2009, 08:13 AM   #13

Don't use a non-branded one, I've had those fail (not in my cameras, thank goodness) and even if they don't fail they can be so slow as to be virtually useless. I use SanDisk Extreme III cards and they are superb.
02-13-2009, 08:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

here are my cards. they see mixed use between my hd video camera and the K20D..Even the Toshiba which is classified Class 2 is pretty good and reliable. In K20D burst mode, the Ultra 2 wins the Transcend by a few seconds.

02-13-2009, 09:13 AM   #15
Inactive Account

I tent to use Lexar Professional 133x SD Cards. Always reliable and very fast, great for bracketing, HDR or continuos shooting