Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2009, 09:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Agreed. Pentax Remote F will hold the shutter open until
  1. Camera battery dies
  2. Remote battery dies
  3. My hand falls off
No, that doesn't make any sense (re: Remote battery dies). To trigger bulb mode with an IR remote, I would presume that it is:
1. one button press - shutter opens and stays open until...
2. next button press - shutter closes...

For it to work this way, it would have to be a different IR pattern that the K20D recognizes (at least that is how other camera IR remotes work).

I would be very surprised if the Pentax Remote F keeps sending an IR signal for as long as you want the camera shutter to stay open.

If Bulb mode works on the Pentax Remote F, it must send a different signal (that is not available on the Chinese remote). Otherwise, the shutter would close if you stop pointing the Pentax Remote F toward the camera.

Please correct me if I am wrong (I have never used the Pentax remote).

02-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
No, that doesn't make any sense (re: Remote battery dies). To trigger bulb mode with an IR remote, I would presume that it is:
1. one button press - shutter opens and stays open until...
2. next button press - shutter closes...

For it to work this way, it would have to be a different IR pattern that the K20D recognizes (at least that is how other camera IR remotes work).

Please correct me if I am wrong (I have never used the Pentax remote).
The Pentax Remote F sends a continuous infrared signal to the camera for as long as the remote button is held down. The shutter remains open exactly the same way it remains open when you hold the shutter release down on the camera with the camera set to mode B.

The click on/ click off is not Bulb mode, but Timer mode (T) which has not been on Pentax 35mm cameras for a very long time. I miss it. My first Pentax had both T and B available, one on each shutter dial.

If you know of a remote release that will give T mode, let me know. This is a much more convenient feature than Bulb, except for very short exposures for my thumb or finger. The camera will only respond to a continuous IR signal, so a remote with push on / push off would have to turn the IR transmitter on with the first push and off with the second. More convenient, but still consuming power from the remote battery.
02-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Hi maxwell1295

Try the pair of links below regarding Yongnuo's inexpensive wireless remote, which also incorporates Bulb Mode:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/84720-post29.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/84728-post30.html

Also click below

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100m-Remote-control-for-Pentax-K20D-K200D-K110D-K10D-U...2%7C240%3A1318

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/203707631/YONGNUO_wireless_remote_controls_WRS_C1.html on ebay, which is where I obtained mine from originally:

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 02-22-2009 at 06:21 PM.
02-20-2009, 11:40 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Pentax Remote F sends a continuous infrared signal to the camera for as long as the remote button is held down. The shutter remains open exactly the same way it remains open when you hold the shutter release down on the camera with the camera set to mode B.
Okay, but are you telling me that if you interrupt the IR signal, the shutter will release? If so, that's not very useful for long exposures.

If you know of a remote release that will give T mode, let me know. This is a much more convenient feature than Bulb, except for very short exposures for my thumb or finger. The camera will only respond to a continuous IR signal, so a remote with push on / push off would have to turn the IR transmitter on with the first push and off with the second. More convenient, but still consuming power from the remote battery.
Yes, I do know of one... It is sold by a eBay vendor (I have listed as a favourite), I will find out and report back as quickly as possible. I have one (from same vendor) for my MZ-S (sadly not compatible with my K20D).

02-21-2009, 12:18 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wireless remote:

100m Radio Remote Pentax K20D K10D K200D K110D CS-205 - eBay (item 360101296592 end time Feb-22-09 03:01:10 PST)

Timer remote:

This is for a Canon (and it's fantabulous!). I asked the vendor if they have one for the Pentax. I will let you know when I receive an answer.

Timer Télécommande 50D 40D 30D 20D 10D D60 5D TC-80N3 - eBay (item 360133002143 end time Mar-01-09 06:31:12 PST)

A little further research reveals that this remote is available for Pentax:
Timer Remote Cord for Pentax K20D K10D K200D K100D *ist - eBay (item 230313574151 end time Mar-10-09 08:49:59 PDT)

This Chinese vendor also has an excellent rating and appear to sell a lot more items for the Pentax camera.

At any rate, it is the same model I already have and I am willing to bet there isn't another remote like it for under $150.00. It really is nicely built!

FYI, Also available from the previous vendor:
180° Split image Focusing Screen for Pentax K20D K10D - eBay (item 330308662817 end time Mar-19-09 10:11:55 PDT)