Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

any opinions?

I have been looking at something that i can use as a travel alternative to a full scale tripod. I came across this on the adorama website 682B Bogen-Manfrotto Self-Standing Pro Monopod, Black Anodized.

the two questions I have are 1) has anyone used this or know anything about this style of monopod and 2) do you need a head on a monopod and if you should have one are there any recommendations would be used with a K200 and the biggest lens used on it would be the 55-300 right no

Last edited by gokenin; 02-18-2009 at 05:44 AM.
02-18-2009, 03:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you might want to consider 2 different options, first of all a monopod, and second, either a car window clamp or some other form of clamp, and forget the tripod all together.

I have found they are not worth the trouble when travelling.

monopods without a head are a little difficult because you have to tip everything. I use a small monfretto ball head on mine
02-18-2009, 04:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I did a poll just a little while back that might be helpful. I think it has some recommendations also.
02-18-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hrm, that one in particular looks like it's not well-suited to travel, looks like one I had years ago with some little legs you can stick in the end. Some like the legs so you can essentially *remove* the camera and just leave the thing standing there, instead of looking for a place to put it, but you can do better for portability.

A tilty-head for vertical shots will get you ninety percent of what you could expect, or you could use a nice little ball head.

Maybe picture for us how you would like to use and carry your camera support, in particular? You can get darn near anything, these days.

I mostly used to use a monopod for sports type stuff, and leaving in the car for any longer-lens occasions that might crop up: there, I generally preferred no head at all (and had a pretty simple and solid Bogen...) sometimes I'd wish I had a head that'd flip vertical, but generally didn't want for a quick-release. Just as easy, if not easier, to just spin the whole affair onto the camera, if you aren't keeping QR plates on your cameras all the time anyway.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-18-2009 at 10:23 AM.