Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Tripod for macro

Up until a few months ago I had a run of the mill Manfrotto tripod, but on a cold morning 3 of the 6 plastic leg extension clamps decided to break. So in anticipation of spring, I am in need of a new tripod primarily for doing macro shooting, but also for general use. I would like something durable, sturdy, and with little or no pesky plastic to break in cold weather. I also need something that can offer the ability to get the camera close to the ground.

I would prefer to spend less than about $250 dollars for the legs+head. I would prefer a nice ballhead. The setup I'll be using will be a K10D with a Pentax A* 200mm Macro.

So, my question for you is, what tripod legs and head should I buy?
Thanks for any suggestions.

02-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Well as far as the legs go, I am super happy with Manfrotto 055X Pro. It is super sturdy and the legs spread out like a spider and telescopic head can do 90 degrees from the base, so getting close to the ground is very easy to do. I got the combo from B&H with the 486RC2 Ball Head. For everyday shooting it is a great setup. But I when I was doing macro shooting I felt that the head needed to be stronger because I used the Velbon Macro Slider and the Vivitar S1 105mm and together that is a heavy combination. So I would say yes to the legs but get a stronger head. The kit cost me less than $250 in 2007.
02-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would agree with BJ one the legs. Excellent design. But don't go cheap on the head. You'll be asking the same question again in 6 months and spending more money. Get a good one first. I'd recomend one like this:

Kirk Enterprises: BH-1 Ball Head

That being said, this is a good head as well for less than a Kirk or Arca Swiss.

Amvona 720 imagine, discover, connect.

Very similar design but not the same quality. It can handle the weight it just does not lock down as accurately. Then I'd also get a set of focus rails to make things so much easier.
You can see a set here: http://enticingthelight.wordpress.com/2009/02/02/shooting-macros-section-1-equipment/
02-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's a very informative article Peter.

02-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #5

I can't give you a recommendation based on my experience with different models over the years, cause I don't have that experience, but I do like to shoot macro. Looked around a few months back for what I thought would be a versatile tripod that would do what I wanted it to do. Settled on a Benbo. Got a used Benbo 1 in great shape on ebay with a Benbo multi angle head. Could see the advantage of a ball head, but am getting by with this head just fine for the time being. The negative about the Benbo is that it is big and heavy. The positive about the Benbo is that it is big and heavy. I have not found a position that I couldn't get it in. I read some before I bought it about "creep", but haven't had that problem with mine. Not something that would be easily carried on a long hike, but what it lacks in convenience it makes up for in versatility!
I use it most with the K20D and Lester Dine macro and have used it with a slider. Most of my macros are of my bees in and around their hives and the majority are hand held. Whenever I do need a tripod it's never failed me. Just a comment from someone who has very limited experience with tripods compared to most others on here.

Arvin
02-18-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the info everyone. I was originally going to get a Benbo, but I think that 055x Pro would really be the best option. I'll go to the local camera shop to try out the heads they've got to see if any of them work for me.
02-18-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Votesh,

I was looking for a good value tripod also few days ago and have been asking around in this forum.
You might want to check my posts to see the replies.
Here are the links:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/50877-help-reco...er-better.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/51245-best-valu...stion-pls.html

I learned a lot and finally decided to go with this setup:
Giottos MT9360 (leg) $168 + Giottos MH 1300-657 (ballhead) $159 -- all include S&H

This leg MT9360 is great. I tried it in the store already. I compared it with Manfrotto 055 and I like this Giottos.
Because with Manfrotto, the center column can only go ONE direction 90 degree diagonal. With Giottos, the center column can rotate 180 degree ANY direction.
This is really helpful for MACRO works and also one of my reason of getting this leg since I was so frustrated using my old panning tripod.

I bought the leg from B&H since they're having promo right now. You can get a FREE monopod and they have the best price online right now for MT9360.
For the ball head, I got it from ebay seller phillyphotosuply & I think it's the best value for ball head that I can find so far.

I'm waiting for the shipment right now. Will be receiving them next week.
My setup will be K20D + AF 540 + FA* 80-200/2.8

Good luck with your search.

02-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
Thanks for the info everyone. I was originally going to get a Benbo, but I think that 055x Pro would really be the best option. I'll go to the local camera shop to try out the heads they've got to see if any of them work for me.
I can second the motion for something with either a bent-leg or lateral arm design for macro work. There are times when the getting the right angle is just really, really important.

Steve
02-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for the input. I agree that the MT9360 looks very nice. The center column movement is much better than the Manfrotto. Hopefully the store that's around here will have both so I can try them out, but the Giottos now has the edge.

That ballhead also looks nice, and I will give it a go if I can find one to try out.
02-18-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote

I learned a lot and finally decided to go with this setup:
Giottos MT9360 (leg) $168 + Giottos MH 1300-657 (ballhead) $159 -- all include S&H
HermanLee,

Glad to see that you were able to make a purchase. Your head choice is what I would have suggested from the Giottos line based on the size/weight of your setup. You did really well price-wise too. I paid about the same for my setup, but with the smaller 1301-656 head.

Good work!

Steve
02-19-2009, 12:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
HermanLee,

Glad to see that you were able to make a purchase. Your head choice is what I would have suggested from the Giottos line based on the size/weight of your setup. You did really well price-wise too. I paid about the same for my setup, but with the smaller 1301-656 head.

Good work!

Steve
Hi Steve,

Thanks to you that I can come up with that choice.
I was really considering your suggestion about the plate might not strong enough.
That's why I chose 657.
So far from the reviews I read, it seems will support my setup well.
Let's see how it goes when they arrive. Can't wait to try it on.

Thanks again especially for your great review of this tripod. I'm convinced
02-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #12

...I got a Cameron WT-002T for $125.00,never heard of it til I saw it.Seems real sturdy with a metal quick release plate and a real strong ball head.The centre column pulls out and stretches into a monopod,and the legs will open up to sit flat too.Pretty good for the price I thought!
02-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
Hm, I have an old MA 055 and the big Uniloc 2300 series, the latter being basically a Benbo design, though mechanically improved. There is simply no better tripod for macro shots, than the unconventional Benbos or Unilocs, because you can adjust them to any position and you can place the legs into any position, which makes shooting in awkward places easier (say, in the middle of a small stream or placed on a steep hillside). If this is your majoy concern, I would suggest, you try one. If you use the tripod more generally, a standard tripod à la MA 055 is the better choice, because they are easier to set up and the Benbo/Uniloc design may lead you to overdo the possible extension of the central arm and the whole thing could topple over. This is a possibility, but it never happened to me, though.

Ben
02-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Hm, I have an old MA 055 and the big Uniloc 2300 series, the latter being basically a Benbo design, though mechanically improved. There is simply no better tripod for macro shots, than the unconventional Benbos or Unilocs, because you can adjust them to any position and you can place the legs into any position, which makes shooting in awkward places easier (say, in the middle of a small stream or placed on a steep hillside). If this is your majoy concern, I would suggest, you try one. If you use the tripod more generally, a standard tripod à la MA 055 is the better choice, because they are easier to set up and the Benbo/Uniloc design may lead you to overdo the possible extension of the central arm and the whole thing could topple over. This is a possibility, but it never happened to me, though.

Ben
I can second Ben's two recommendations. I have both a Benbo Trekker and a rather elderly Manfrotto 055B (black) with the Manfrotto 0168 ball head. The Manfrotto is rock solid, and my primary tripod. It holds my 400 with extender quite solidly.

The Benbo Trekker serves two purposes for me. The first is to take a tripod where only the insane dare to tread with expensive equipment - the Sparwood Hiking Club jaunts to assorted mountain venues. The other purpose is for places and purposes that the Manfrotto just cannot do. The Benbo can be pretzeled iinto any position. I have used it as a hold the camera while I used Remote F on a 60 degree slope without worrying too much about my expensive gear falling down. One does have to make absolutely certain that the lock is locked or the whole thing can fall down.
02-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Hi Votesh

Try the link below, which has some truly excellent photos of the brilliantly conceived articulating head mechanism of the featured Giottos MTL 9351B tripod. Simply scroll down the page to see them all. I eventually decided to purchase the 9351B, as I was looking for a slightly lighter/more portable "travel" version of the sturdy but heavier Manfrotto 055B which I also own.

Giottos MTL9351B Tripod - Talk Photography

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/29879-giottos-m...giottos+tripod

I can confidently recommend either the 055B and/or the MTL 9351B, which are both superb IMHO, but believe that the MTL 9351B might prove slightly more flexible for your particular application !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 02-26-2009 at 06:23 PM.