Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Okay, so I bit the bullet and ordered today. I was really sold on the tripod because of the great reviews but the ball head was a different story. I can't seem to find any info on those. Well, we'll see. The ball heads are made of carbon fiber also and only time will tell how it stands up. I will review once I receive it.
Thanks for alll the help
Oren

02-28-2009, 06:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
Okay, so I bit the bullet and ordered today. I was really sold on the tripod because of the great reviews but the ball head was a different story. I can't seem to find any info on those. Well, we'll see. The ball heads are made of carbon fiber also and only time will tell how it stands up. I will review once I receive it.
Thanks for alll the help
Oren
Let us know what you think when you get the order.
02-28-2009, 05:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Let us know what you think when you get the order.
You got it Tom.
03-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mini Review

Okay, so I got my Feisol tripod and ball head yesterday so heres a mini review. Really haven't had it long enough to do full.

It is important to remember that this is my first decent tripod and first ball head use.
First impression is mixed to be honest. But I think some of those mixed feeling is not really knowing what to expect or look for.

It is light!! And I think it is going to good and stable also. I have had my camera+ grip and my Sigma 100-300f/4 mounted so that is about the max weight of the gear I have. I know it will handle that easily and then some. I think the ball head is overkill for me but it is sweet to operate. I didn't know what I was missing not using a ball head before. Soooo easy and smooth to adjust.
Great low profile without center column.

The three things I have noticed that I don't like is the twist locks are not keyed so set up is not going to be a fast as those that are. Twist lock release is not very smooth. Maybe just a bit stiff but might loosen up after a little use. Finish is much like that of Giottos Lava series a little ruff. (not that I don't like that but may be cause of stiffness ) Third is, there are no set screws for ball head.

I purchased a center column thinking I might need a couple more inches heigth but I won't be using it. I am only 5' 9" and the tripod as 51.9 inches and with the head and camera+ grip puts it above eye level. I don't know why my math didn't match up and it still doesn't but...

For specs, please refer to links.
Feisol CT 3401 Tripod
Feisol CD-50B ball head w/QR plate

Give me a couple weeks of use and I will be a bit more thorough. If you have any questions I will try to answer.

04-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Okay, so I got my Feisol tripod and ball head yesterday so heres a mini review. Really haven't had it long enough to do full.

It is important to remember that this is my first decent tripod and first ball head use.
First impression is mixed to be honest. But I think some of those mixed feeling is not really knowing what to expect or look for.

It is light!! And I think it is going to good and stable also. I have had my camera+ grip and my Sigma 100-300f/4 mounted so that is about the max weight of the gear I have. I know it will handle that easily and then some. I think the ball head is overkill for me but it is sweet to operate. I didn't know what I was missing not using a ball head before. Soooo easy and smooth to adjust.
Great low profile without center column.

The three things I have noticed that I don't like is the twist locks are not keyed so set up is not going to be a fast as those that are. Twist lock release is not very smooth. Maybe just a bit stiff but might loosen up after a little use. Finish is much like that of Giottos Lava series a little ruff. (not that I don't like that but may be cause of stiffness ) Third is, there are no set screws for ball head.

I purchased a center column thinking I might need a couple more inches heigth but I won't be using it. I am only 5' 9" and the tripod as 51.9 inches and with the head and camera+ grip puts it above eye level. I don't know why my math didn't match up and it still doesn't but...

For specs, please refer to links.
Feisol CT 3401 Tripod
Feisol CD-50B ball head w/QR plate

Give me a couple weeks of use and I will be a bit more thorough. If you have any questions I will try to answer.
Good to hear that you like it. Will look forward to the full review
04-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #21
Veteran Member

The one complaint I've seen posted about the CB-50D is that the when the pan lock is released the head wobbles on the mount. The fact is that if the head wobbles, the pan lock has been released too far.

The pan lock is a screw that presses into a ring. The ring is milled on an angle and another disk sits in it with the top of it milled to sit in the angle of the ring. When you loosen the pan lock, the ring relaxes, and the angled disk drops. Tighten the pan lock, and the ring collapses causing the angled disk to move up and away from the ring. The angled disk is attached to the base of the head by the three screws on the bottom of the unit.

It is perfectly reasonable for there to be enough tension on the ring and the angled disk to allow the head to rotate, but not wobble. The tip of the screw isn't rubbing on anything that rotates, it and the ring are actually stationary. The rotation happens at the base and where the two milled angles meet.

The only issue with the way this works and the way the ball head is made, is that the difference in tension is a very small amount of travel in the pan lock screw. Feisol should have used a much finer thread on this screw.

Thank you
Russell