Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Right-0!

Got the Katz Eye today.

No need to play with shim problems! That was my first concern, and with both my manual lenses, focus is spot-on. SHEW!!

As well, my Tammy AF is quite good, it seems! I little off at the long end, but from the short end up to ~150mm, focus is very accurate!

Very impressed with the screen. Nope, not as bright as the stock screen. But we all know that pentax over-compensated for FS brightness in it's design due to the penta-mirror, not penta-prism. Very glad I ponied up for opti-brite, or the thing would have been quite a dissapointment!

Microprisms help a TON in low light focusing. The only thing I must say, that the split-prism engravings are not perfectly lined up (in how they are engraved, not in how they function) on the left side. I thought for over 200.00 CAD (after taxes, exchange, shipping, other fees) that this kind of detail would be exact. BUT- it works fabulously! No blackout with my tammy at the long end (where it's in f/5.6 when focusing). split-prism is nice and bright!

I feel an investment completely justified- and now I'm going to shoot with tons more manual glass! Gives a whole new "depth" to my little K100DS.

03-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A previous post on this thread complained about the packaging and tooling that was included with the Katzeye screen when shipped. Here's a shot of how I received the screen- that little tool is a godsend, and the screen is in a sealed plastic bag, yet it was very simple to extract the screen for installation with the tool!

03-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MidnightCommando Quote
You're gonna hate me for this, but the only diagonal splits I've seen are in the Praktica MTL5B and the Nikon FM2/n.

I've _never_ seen a pentax k-mount camera that has a diagonal split, and only the prakticas in M42.
I own two (yes 2) Ricohs with diagonal split-image finders...XR-2s and XR7.

Steve
03-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That could make sense then, Steve- perhaps the Ricoh screens can be cut for Pentax DSLR's. I could see there being quite the surplus of these screens in Japan, sitting around in some old warehouse..

03-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by code4code5 Quote
I have a quite functional K1000 SE that I'm really fighting off the urge to cannibalize. Could someone stop me, please?? I'm picturing myself dremmeling the crap out of it as we speak.
mmm I have a non functioning MG...
03-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Virgil: A previous post on this thread complained about the packaging and tooling that was included with the Katzeye screen when shipped. Here's a shot of how I received the screen- that little tool is a godsend, and the screen is in a sealed plastic bag, yet it was very simple to extract the screen for installation with the tool
My problem with the Katzeye tooling: it was not as good as the Chinese screen tooling. This really got me thinking, because my Katzeye cost me $160 and the Chinese screen < $30 shipped. Also, the blue foam shown in your pic, which houses the Katzeye screen, had completely faded to a brownish color in all areas. except directly under the screen. This troubled me since it apeared the screen had been sitting a long time. I had gotten the Chinese screen first and thought by spending a whole lot more money I was upgrading--boy was I surprised!

I installed the Katzeye and it worked well. though it did not resist blacking out on my MF lenses to f11, as it was advertised to do. Also, though I did not have two K20 bodies to accurately assess screen brightness, I did my best switching the two screens in and out and could not say, for sure, one was brighter than the other. This really troubled me, specially since I went for the extra cost of the "Optibrite" treatment.

I am not saying the Katzeye is a bad product, not by any means. I am saying I was shocked to discover, upon comparison in same K20 body, the Chinese screen at least equaled the Katzeye in performance. Also, I prefer the diagonal split prism of the Chinese screen over the K3, horizontal split prism Rachael Katz has selected.
03-29-2009, 08:30 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
MidnightCommando:You're gonna hate me for this, but the only diagonal splits I've seen are in the Praktica MTL5B and the Nikon FM2/n.

I've _never_ seen a pentax k-mount camera that has a diagonal split, and only the prakticas in M42.
Here is a picture of the Diagonal Split-Prism in my K20d, complements of my Panasonic P & S--excuse the shot--done in haste. The diagonal is shot through the "O" in the heart. In focus, it nearly disappears.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 09-25-2009 at 09:05 AM.
03-30-2009, 09:08 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jewel-

I had wanted to post an image of the tooling I received when I purchased the Katzeye because I had seen in some of the earlier installation PDF's on the Katzeye site some rather poor tooling options. In no way did I want to dispute your opinion on the situation.

I have a feeling you're absolutely right- I think that Katzeye charges wayy too much, and that the chinese screens are of equitable quality and useability.

I do find that the split for me is nice and bright without eye position problems on my zooms at f/5.6. I don't shoot with any M42 lenses, but in stop-down tests through the viewfinder, things are OK to ~f/8, after that, the center becomes awfully dark. I don't think it would be a ton of fun using it with an M42 lens!

In retrospect, I should have gone with a Chinese screen. I did want to get a screen quickly, well, in less than a month, so that was one influencing factor. As well, I thought- "if I don't like it or I have problems, it will be easier to return".

Optibrite? Not sure if it's made that much of a difference. I would say the screen is about as bright as the stock screen was, though- and the higher contrast helps in low light for critical focus.

All in all, I have a distinct feeling that the chinese screens are on par with the Katzeye. Yep, I paid 120.00 premium (if I would have had a chinese screen shipped express). I bought in.

But, I'm just going to enjoy shooting manual and not knock myself out over it- it does what I wanted it to do. I'm sure I paid wayyyyy too much!
03-30-2009, 01:04 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Virgil: I had wanted to post an image of the tooling I received when I purchased the Katzeye because I had seen in some of the earlier installation PDF's on the Katzeye site some rather poor tooling options. In no way did I want to dispute your opinion on the situation.
No dispute here: I had posted comments earlier about the Katzeye tooling--thought I should own up to them after reading your post.

I am very glad to hear you are happy with your purchase of the Katzeye--that is the main thing. I liked my Katzeye too.

Yep, you can opt out of the free shipping and, for not that much money, get faster shipping options for many Chinese products. Best!