Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2009, 03:14 PM   #1

Tripod Suggestions for People with Disabilities?

Hi, I am new to the boards here, and I would like some tripod and head suggestions. I am differently abled (Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, to be specific) and I can't easily stand for an entire photography session, and I have some difficulty gripping since my fingers prefer to bend backward rather than forward. I am thinking that the Giottos MT 93/83 tripods look like they are friendly to use while seated, plus it can be used for all sorts of macro photography. See:

MT-3

I like the center column that can be put in so many positions. Are there any other brands/models that are comparable/better? Should I get carbon fiber or aluminum? I would be tempted to say that weight matters, but I rarely go anywhere where I can't drag a wheeled cart with my stuff. On cheap tripods I have found that lever locks are easier on my fingers than twist locks, since it seems like I have to keep twisting and twisting and twisting and I never know if it is stable for sure. Giottos tripods only have the twist locks, from what I have seen.

As far as heads, I was thinking of the Manfrotto 322RC2, since twisting knobs is hard on my fingers, and pistol type grips I can squeeze between my thumb and hand and not rely on fingertips. Or is there a better model than this?

I have a Pentax K200 and my largest lens is the Sigma 70-300. I want to buy a tripod and head that won't have to be upgraded (or at least won't need to be upgraded unless I somehow get my hands on a Bigma.) Both my husband and I are 5 feet 8 inches (173 cm for those blessed to use the metric system). I don't want an insanely expensive tripod--nothing that is goldplate, limited-edition, and has my name hand-engraved, or any of that nonsense. I like to get the best deal possible, but buy something that will last.

So what suggestions do you have for me? Thanks!

Christina

04-13-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Inactive Account

The head you suggested is pricey but probably worth it. Legs & colums are incredibly varied, my manfrotto has wingnuts (screws) but I wish it had quick release levers.

This Manfrotto Tripod may be worth a look:

"the 458B has the innovative Neotec rapid opening and closing mechanism-just pull each leg downwards to open and automatically lock it in any position, with no screws, knobs or levers to tighten or loosen. Then to fold it back up again, press the mechanism release button and push the leg closed"

tripods, heads, monopods, light stands, camera supports, lighting supports, professional tripod 458B - NEOTEC PRO PHOTO TRIPOD
04-13-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have a like tripod, the Induro AX-214, and I wouldn't want to use it seated with the center column in the horizontal position. The center column isn't that long and when the column is extended out, it is very easy to topple.

If you are looking for tradition use of a tripod, then probably any tripod is workable with a Walkstool. (watch the setup videos) The triangle shape allows you to position yourself between the tripod legs in such a way to be close enough to get your eye behind the view finder. You can confirm if this is workable for you by just positioning yourself on a dinning room chair at an angle with a tripod.

I would however suggest a tripod without a center column. Feisol makes a number of models like this, but none with flip locks. I think a number of tripod makers have short center columns as accessories, but it would be nice not to have to pay the extra.

If you are looking just to take the strain off your hands and wrists:

A self supporting monopod might be an option. It wouldn't be able to support the camera alone, but for taking the strain off your hand and wrists it might be workable.

Another option might be a chestpod.

I'm not sure how it would work out, but Feisol makes a handcart.

Thank you
Russell
04-15-2009, 07:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ooh, I like that cart. Not that I think heels like that and all that gear go together well.

04-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i use a benro c197n6 (carbon fibre, there is a much cheaper aluminium version), it has excellent features for positioning the center column in strange macro positions (variable angle, not just horizontal), and it also has 3 angles for the (independent) legs. i like it a lot so far. it has twist loks, but they are big and rubbery, and need only about 1/4-1/2 of a turn to go from locked to unlocked and reverse, it's alos nice that you don't really need to lock the legs when storing/carrying the tripod, as they won't open freely as with most flip-lock tripods. both fliplocks and twist locks have their disadvantages and advantages, i am used to both, and i like both. i tend to shoot in the winter, in snow and cold (high altitude), and i find twist locks a lot easier to handle with big thick gloves than flip locks (not sure if that means anything to you though)

the advantage of the benro is that it's well built, while relatively cheap. no idea how much it will last though, but looking good so far.

for the head, even though it may sound a bit opposed to what you mentioned, i suggest you try to play with something relatively big and with friction control: it will mean you will have a bit of trouble to set it when you start (because most of them have knobs), but once you set it up, you will hardly need to touch the knobs unless you change the lens (weight changes) or the angle is changed a lot (more expensive elliptical heads will handle changes in angle too, mine does not, but it's more expensive version does, i hear). i use the friction control a lot, eventhough paranoia pushes me to lock the ball almost every time , but i would not imagine working without this feature now. my head is a benro ks-2, there are cheaper/smaller versions, there are also more expensive (elyptical) versions, i think kj-x is one such model; most will recommned going with arca swiss, really right stuff, kirk, or markins for that kind of head though (if the higher price is not an issue, i agree it is probably worth it). though there are disadvantages, i think the benefit of being able to take your hand off the camera at any time with no worries thanks to the friction control might outweigh the rest (but you really have to try it out for a day of shooting and see)

good luck finding the best solution

edit: my benro described above looks like a (decent) copy of the giottos linked by you. some of the details are amazingly similar . they also claim dust/water proof (not entirely true, but there is some attempt at it, i admit)

Last edited by nanok; 04-15-2009 at 01:05 PM.
04-16-2009, 12:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Ooh, I like that cart. Not that I think heels like that and all that gear go together well.
Try this one.

Much more rugged I would think. Much bigger wheels to go over unpaved trails. I use mine on the trails to haul my big tripods and long lens'. It's worked well so far. Probably not as acceptable to the country club set as the Feisol and lacks it's cachet however.

Expanded it is 40" high with a platform of 15" wide by 10" deep. Total weight 7.5 pounds and rated at 150 pounds load. Folded flat it's 24"x15"x2". The flashlight on the floor is for scale - it's 7 inches long.

It folds so flat it stores almost anywhere in a vehicle. I can store it in the same compartment along with the spare tire without taking up any additional room.

30 bucks at my local building supply store. But for that price you don't get the bimbo.

Last edited by wildman; 04-21-2009 at 06:00 AM.
04-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hrm, sounds like quite a deal. (That Feisol things runs a couple hundred without the ballhead) Of course, it sort of lacks that camera-support function I think the OP was looking for. (Funny, I seem to remember this thread with a whole bunch of other suggestions in it from way back. But I think I'd suggested putting a Bogen Magic Arm on some kind of rolley case combo.

If that would fit in our car like it does yours, that could be a really useful thing in general, though.

04-19-2009, 04:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CSoars Quote
The head you suggested is pricey but probably worth it. Legs & colums are incredibly varied, my manfrotto has wingnuts (screws) but I wish it had quick release levers.

This Manfrotto Tripod may be worth a look:

"the 458B has the innovative Neotec rapid opening and closing mechanism-just pull each leg downwards to open and automatically lock it in any position, with no screws, knobs or levers to tighten or loosen. Then to fold it back up again, press the mechanism release button and push the leg closed"
Christina I would second this tripod. It is probably by far the easiest to set-up tripod, that is really stable. Combine that with the grip ball head, you already suggested and I guess you'll never need anything else. All the other suggestions here refer to fine tripods - but none of those offers that easy to use clever locking mechanism.

Ben
04-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have a bit of arthritis in my hands that acts up on occasion and makes some finger movements painful. Been using this ballhead: Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 322RC2 Grip Action Ballhead

I find that this type of unit is easier to handle (for me).