Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #1

Tripod suggestions for the handicapable?

Hi! I am new to the forum, and I need suggestions on what tripod and head to buy. I have a Pentax K200 and my largest lens (at this moment) is the Sigma 70-300 and I am 5 feet 8 inches (173 cm if you are blessed to use metric). I have physical challenges (Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, to be specific) and have difficulty standing for long photography sessions and my fingers would rather bend backward than forward. The tripods I have found that look like they would best suit my needs are the Giottos MT 93/83 tripods, see:

MT-3

I like how the center column can be used in many positions. I like to do lots of macro/closeup photos, mostly of flowers, but being able to take pictures of a book that I have placed on the floor looks very handy too. Plus taking pictures from a bug's eye view. However, I prefer lever locks to twist locks right now; when using a cheapie tripod, with a lever it is easy to latch and know that it is secure. With the twist locks I am never certain that it is completely secure and the twisting motion is one my fingers don't like. Should I get aluminum or carbon fiber? I hardly go anywhere that I can't take a wheeled bag or cart, so the more I think about it, the less a few ounces matters. Is there another brand/model I should be considering?

As far as heads go, I am considering the Manfrotto 322RC2. A squeeze handle that I can use between my thumb and palm looks much, much friendlier to use than one with lots of twisty knobs. Or is there another style/model that would be better than this one?

I want to buy a tripod/head combo that won't need to be upgraded (or at least wouldn't have to be upgraded until I get my hands on a Bigma, but that isn't too likely.) I don't want anything limited edition, gold-plated, hand engraved with my monogram, or anything ridiculous like that. I want to get a good deal, but I want quality. Right now I don't have a specific budget, but I do need to get a tripod for an event in a few weeks that I am photographing. (Maybe one of the local camera stores would rent out a tripod so I could test drive it? I should investigate that.)

Thanks for reading!

Christina

02-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hrm, well, I'm pretty sure someone makes something similar that has flip-locks to the legs. I'm figuring that somewhat larger things are easier for you to grasp? The pistol-grip ballhead sounds like a good solution, headwise, though, I've never used one. Apparently it takes one of nice quality to be very good and reliable, from some complaints I've heard.

The only tripod I have of recent design has some big plastic flip-locks that I find reasonably-arthritis friendly, there's kind of a big plastic lever that you can close with the heel of your hand without too much force: mine's from a then- cheaper outlet called Amvona.com, (I might not be inclined to recommend these guys for anything fancy: when I cheap out on something, I prefer to keep it simple and sturdy,) but I think it's a knockoff of a better brand, maybe I can find who if I look around a bit.

If you're pulling around a cart or something, anyway, have you considered maybe putting something like a Bogen Magic Arm on it? I'm having a thought that possibly, if you could find a way to attach one of those, maybe you could avoid having to set up legs at all, just park or lay down your cart and let the arm hold the camera for your macro stuff. Just a concept.
02-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I own the twist-lock version of the Giottos (9360) and think it is a great tripod. My only concern might be with the knobs used for configuring/securing the central column. They are not small, but still require some finger strength to tighten.

As for heads...the pistol grip heads are nice, though I am not sure if they have a significant advantage from an adaptive standpoint. The better ball heads secure easily with levers/knobs without a need for finger strength. The main advantage of the pistol grip is that repositioning is a one-hand operation. Regular ball heads require two hands; one to hold the camera and the other to work the head release.

Steve
02-26-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by christinasbookshelf Quote
Hi! I am new to the forum, and I need suggestions on what tripod and head to buy.

As far as heads go, I am considering the Manfrotto 322RC2. A squeeze handle that I can use between my thumb and palm looks much, much friendlier to use than one with lots of twisty knobs. Or is there another style/model that would be better than this one?

Christina
Hi Christina,

I have the 322RC2 grip head and while yes it is quite versatile, I don't know if you'll like it because it does take a bit of pressure to squeeze the release fully. If twist locks on the tripod legs bother you then you probably are not going to like the 322RC2. Now I don't personally own this head, but I have put my hands on it - the Manfrotto 486 is about $60 and has a lever style lock that you might like better than a traditional knob.

02-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hey, ...looking around that Giottos site, it looks like the same model of legs as the OP linked to is available with flip locks. Could be an answer right there.
02-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My wife has cerebral palsy, and her hands seem to behave more or less like yours, and she can manage my Manfrotto 190 XPROB. The legs are locking with levers and the central column can be brought to the horizontal with the push of a button on the bottom of said column. There is also a version of the same tripod made with carbon fiber, and a heavier duty one called 055 XPROB. Good luck.
02-26-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hey, ...looking around that Giottos site, it looks like the same model of legs as the OP linked to is available with flip locks. Could be an answer right there.
I thought the OP was referring to the new flip lock Giottos. I guess that is the MTL series rather than the MT series referred to. It looks like they have a new line with a revised design spider as well, MTL 32/33 (same weight and capacity...slicker appearance).

Steve