Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #1

AF-540 FGZ with drive mode/continuous shooting.

Ive just bought the pentax AF-540FGZ and i cant figure out the best setting to have it when using drive mode/continuous shotting. I mainly want to shoot some bmxing/skateboarding at night. I need about 3/4 moderatley strong flashes i think... Could anybody help me? - it would be massively appreciated.

MRBHV

Flickr: MRBHV's Photostream

02-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With the 540, or any flash/strobe with adjustable power settings, the strongest you can set it for to get 4 flashes while in continuous mode would be 1/4 power.

But how much juice you really need is going to be highly dependent on how close you (or the flashes) will be to the riders. If you use wireless mode or if you've got remote triggers that would allow you to put the flashes much closer to the action.

I've seen some pretty sweet shots made (I think by McNally) of BMX riders where in addition to having strobes placed to light the scene he also gaffer taped a strobe to the handlebars of one of the rider's bikes to really light up his chest and face shield on a jump.
02-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
DAZ
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you put the flash in manual (1/4 power or less), use a higher then you would normally use ISO (to save flash power like 800), a fast f/stop like 2.8 (try to keep movement side to side to ease DOF issues) and are not to far away you should be able to get 3-4 shots before flash charge exhaustion. If you need more you can look at getting a 540/360 and slave it to the first 540.

I have use a 540, a 500 and a 360 all slaved together and have gotten about 8-10 fast shots in a dark room but that many quick strobes can be a little disorienting to others.

DAZ