Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Cheap Lightstand Bag Alternative

I'm sure I'm not the only that has discovered this, but I'll make the point anyway. Lightstand bags are often very expensive for the simple purpose they serve. Here is an inexpensive alternative that I am using. It is a baseball equipment bag from Nike, that I bought at Dick's Sporting Goods this weekend for $20. It is 36 x 10 x 8 inches, and I currently have in it 3 lightstands, 1 tripod, 4 umbrellas. The pictures below show it empty, with a lightstand beside it for perspective, and with some gear in it. You might be able to fit more, but I store my lightstands with the umbrella clamps on them and I keep my umbrellas in whatever protective packaging in which they were shipped. It would be easy to spend $50 or more on a lightstand bag from a photo company to hold this much equipment. Enjoy.

Click any thumbnail below to expand:

03-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for sharing. It is always great to find repurposes for items. It is especially great when the repurposed product is a bargain.
03-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've seen something similar posted elsewhere, but thanks for posting the reminder. This also seems like a more durable bag than the one I saw posted. I have a couple of smaller bags, but this one would definitely suit me better. I sometimes carry up to 4-5 stands. I guess I'll be heading to Dick's tomorrow. $20 is a great price for something like that.
03-01-2009, 07:58 PM   #4

Along the same lines.....

A friend gave me a gun bag years ago so I am not sure of the cost. It holds all my lights stands and cross bars. It's long so I don't have to collapse all the stands and it has a great strap that can handle the weight.

Just an idea.

03-01-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a folding camp chair bag for my lightstand. It can comfortably fit one stand and umbrella, and I can work my cheapo tripod in if I really try.

It has a shoulder strap and drawstring closure. Plus, I already had it, so it was cheap enough.