Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Forum Member

Desiccants--what to get

Hey all,

Got a question about desiccants. Living in the south, humidity is a problem that I can't avoid--and with spring and summer just around the corner, I am looking forward to some colorful shooting outdoors. I want to pick up some desiccant to put in my camera bag to help keep everything dry and fungus free both during day to day use and longer term storage. What do you recommend? Where to get it? If its reusable, how do you dry it out between uses?

Thanks
Oren

03-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Go to your local pharmacy and ask. You may have to wait a few days, but the pills they get come packaged with desiccants and they normally throw them out. Free is good!

Silica desiccants (those above) can be 're-charged' by drying them out in an oven set to warm.
03-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You can get them at craftstores. Ask for the desiccants to make dried flowers.

Something like this or this.
03-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you're looking for something a bit more "robust" and/or user-friendly B&H carries a fairly wide variety of options: dessicant | B&H Photo Video

03-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I work in an IT store and I have plenty of those lying around just about anywhere. I keep a couple in my bag, for good measure.
03-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
Forum Member

Do you have a dedicated cabinet or something similarly sealed off where you store your camera? If so, go to Cabela's or some similar sporting goods place and look at dehumidifiers for gun safes. They work better for long term storage than any dessicant, or other dehumidifiers. They also have more durable silica containers than the little packs you can get if you are looking for something a little more high class. I also know that among gun owners, the "Golden Rod" dehumidifier is among the best you can get. You can search for it a Cabela's. Gun nuts know how to protect against moisture.
03-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Rice should work, in a pinch. It probably doesn't perform as well as a real dessicant pack.

03-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all, appreciate the advice.

Oren
03-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I would probably steer toward the heat & re-use silica kits on B&H. They change color so you know when they are saturated. I dispense a similar kit (enclosed in a jar) for hearing aids. With the disposable packs, who knows when it's no good.
03-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
I would probably steer toward the heat & re-use silica kits on B&H. They change color so you know when they are saturated. I dispense a similar kit (enclosed in a jar) for hearing aids. With the disposable packs, who knows when it's no good.
I use the gun-safe type, myself, for my gear file-cabinets and a case. Though, something that might be able to be dried in a microwave would be nice, since putting these in the oven is a bit wasteful of power, and hot in the summer.
03-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Check out the Pelicant dessicants.
03-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Check out the Pelicant dessicants.
Actually, those look exactly like
what *I* have, don't know if you wanna nuke those, to be clear.

Come to think of it, on heat and energy issues, I suppose I should just get *more* of them. They *work* fine (even in my less-than-hermetically-sealed spaces: worst thing you can do is trap moisture *inside* a sealed space, this is why you gotta watch the Minute-rice type solutions, once damp, rice will give that moisture back up when you don't want it to) and I could dry them in bigger batches. The metal ones'll go a month or two on a charge as I use em.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 03-04-2009 at 01:02 PM.
03-04-2009, 12:56 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get a daughter: new shoes always come with silica gel packets--I'm up to my ears in 'em! :~)
03-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Get a daughter: new shoes always come with silica gel packets--I'm up to my ears in 'em! :~)
I could probably do with some new shoes, actually. Gal like me putting it all toward photo stuff? It's not right, I tell you!
03-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, then, Ratmagiclady, run down to Payless and buy some silica gel packets--they come with free shoes!