Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A different approach: I don't want to schlep a whole lot of gear around and I want it to be easy to secure the camera when I'm not actively shooting so I've rigged up a holster bag with "side-saddle" lens cases. It means I have to make tough lens choices before I head out (and I sometimes cheat by stuffing a prime or two in my pocket ;~) It's a bit awkward with bigger lenses like the Sigma 70-200 or DA*300 (note I say, "or") but it works pretty well for me.

Last edited by dadipentak; 12-28-2009 at 03:01 PM.
03-13-2009, 09:47 PM   #32
Forum Member

How I carry my gear:

I use a Naneu Pro Alpha bag and arrange my gear as follows:
Attached Images

03-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #33

This is my usual walk around kit...sometimes I carry just one lens or if I have my K10D with me I carry some mf primes since it has a katz eye. I never liked how photo gear backpacks felt so I just use a Domke f6 shoulder bag and once I complete my on-location lighting kit, I'll get a roller bag.

Pentax K20D
DA* 16-50mm f/2.8
DA* 50-135mm f/2.8
FA 31mm ltd f/1.8
DA 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 fisheye
Metz 58 AF-1 Flash

Gives me extreme wide angle, telephoto, and low light coverage.
03-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Alright, here are some photos of my bag. Like I said in an earlier post I didn't want to have to zip the main compartment open all the way to take out my long lens and flash so I rotated the pouches so that everything can be reached through the quick access flap. Normally when I'm shooting I've got the bag slung at my side so I can reach lenses as needed or use the bag to hold a lens during a lens swap.

I find this style of bag to be a pretty reasonable compromise, it isn't as comfortable as a backpack for extended carry but it is easier to get into. Strapped on to your back it bounces around less than a shoulder bag but unlike a regular shoulder bag it isn't as convenient to switch from one shoulder to the other. I wouldn't recommend carrying one of these for more than a couple of hours fully loaded with heavy gear, normally I use mine for day trips with only what I intend to use stored in it.

My next bag will probably be a backpack with more storage space than this. I have a 400mm lens that is longer than this bag is tall and that means carrying it separately is a pain. I also have a holster bag that will carry a K10d + short zoom or moderate prime as well as my old film bag that is too small for more than the body and a few small primes.

03-17-2009, 06:38 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Now a bit further in the 1990's, I bought a ZX-60 to use in addition to the ZX-50 and I would pack it in this Amvona bag with most of my film gear.
Attached Images

03-20-2009, 08:05 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Pentax Sling Bag

I have several bags, but I know people have asked about the Pentax Sling Bag. I'm one of those that likes the Pentax label (and I can understand why others don't). Also, I've found this bag to be very versatile and more comfortable as a sling bag than my Naneu one.

The most surprising thing, though, is just how much you can get in this little bag.

Here are some pictures of the sling bag holding the K20D w/grip and DA*50-135 attached, plus the DA*200 and DA*300 in the top and bottom compartments. Of course, I still have room for the assorted cards, batteries and wired remote (I've got the wireless remote tucked into the grip). All in all, it carries an amazing amount, yet it's a pretty compact bag.

Here's the bag open to show the insides. BTW, I normally have the lenses in their individual cases in the bag, but took the cases off to show the lenses for the photo.

Here's the bag closed.

03-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like that Russ--very efficient.

03-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Does look like it it fits that kit very nicely. I don't think sling bags would suit my purposes very well, (I usually carry multiple bodies and small-to-smallish primes) but that looks like a good one.

It's kind of a nice thing about the Pentax name logo: it probably doesn't attract thieves so much as the bigger, easier-to-fence brands do. I've had the logo strap from my K20 on an old SV we've been sending around among folks from the Film board, and not felt self-conscious about the big bright letters.
03-21-2009, 04:46 AM   #39
Veteran Member

So many nice gears and bags
I don't have much things to pack so far, so my Lowepro Nova 190 AW bag is a bit large for me. Hopefully I'll be able to fill the empty spaces with some nice lenses within a year or two.
Name:  lowepro.jpg
Views: 8999
Size:  57.4 KB

I don't like to carry too much things, in fact I don't like to carry anything . If I just go out for a little walk then I put my camera into this small bag. It was the bag of my previous bridge camera (Panasonic FZ5) and K-m with kit lens just fits into it
Name:  minibag.jpg
Views: 4403
Size:  46.8 KB

Ps: wow, the texts on the pics look really bad after uploading
03-23-2009, 05:24 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I like those bags...Old classic lenses... Its so nice to see.

We clearly don't see the same images when looking in a c &n forum hahaha
04-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Soon after getting my K10, I opted for this simple bag and minimal starting kit:
Attached Images

04-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #42
Veteran Member

The second phase of my digital gear bags. Some of you might remember my struggle to decide between the Pentax slingbag and the Lowepro SS 200. I got the Pentax slingbag first and really liked the bag. Still do actually.
Attached Images

04-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #43
Veteran Member

A few bag configurations...

Well i have quite a few bags.

Here er a few configurations:

Kata T-214:
Duplo Photography | Kata T-214

Lowepro stealthreporter D300AW:
Duplo Photography | Lowepro Stealth Reporter D300AW

Domke F3x:
Duplo Photography | Domke F3x

Lowepro Minimag:
Duplo Photography | Lowepro MiniMag AW

Lowepro Naturetrekker II AW:
Duplo Photography | Lowepro Naturetrekker II

Lowepro Vertex 100AW (Still my favourite carry on bag):
Duplo Photography | Lowepro Vertex 100 AW

Not entirely up to date, but shows a few pentax combinations
04-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #44
Veteran Member

In a very short space of time, I bought the Pentax sling bag, a Canon Deluxe backpack and ultimately the Lowepro SS AW 200.
Here is the Canon Deluxe. I have not gone out with this pack much at all but this will be my outdoor camping camera collection.
Attached Images

04-30-2009, 08:24 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Maybe someone here can offer me some advice...

I´m planning on getting a K200 in a few weeks (my first DSLR) but I´ll be getting it online & I can´t find anyone locally that sells it. The problem is that with bags you can´t really see what space or protection you have if you´re looking at them online. I´ve seen some Tamrac brand ones that look like they´re good but it all depends on what you want to put in them. I´ve put the requirements below - any suggestions? If I´m not sure then I´ll wait til I have the gear them take it all to a few shops & find something that way.

1. Needs to fit K200, 16-55mm kit lens, 55-300mm Pentax, at least one other small lens (a prime), batteries, miscellaneous small things like memory cards. Ideally the bag would easily accomodate the camera with either of the above lenses attached.

2. I want a shoulder bag, no holsters or backpacks.

3. Not expensive but needs to be good enough quality to protect the kit (of course).

4. Preferably doesn´t scream "DSLR!! Steal me!!"

The ones I´ve seen:

Lowepro Nova 160 AW Shoulder Bag - Black

Tamrac 3350 Aero 50 Camera Bag - Black

Many thanks