Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can I convert a TC into an extension tube with A contacts

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have this old Takumar-A 2X tele-converter pictured here

Asahi Pentax Takumar-A 2X Teleconverter, Case, LN, NR! - eBay (item 200315825023 end time Mar-08-09 21:33:05 PDT)

It is a poor performer and I don't use it. Is there a way to remove the internal lens elements and use it as a macro extension tube with A contacts.
Thank you.

03-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
A pick Axe/hammer?
03-03-2009, 02:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghost Quote
A pick Axe/hammer?
or a brick...

really.. you just have to be experimental... see if stuff screws off.. see if there's a screw here or there...

otherwise, glass + solid object = results
03-03-2009, 02:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I have this old Takumar-A 2X tele-converter pictured here

Asahi Pentax Takumar-A 2X Teleconverter, Case, LN, NR! - eBay (item 200315825023 end time Mar-08-09 21:33:05 PDT)

It is a poor performer and I don't use it. Is there a way to remove the internal lens elements and use it as a macro extension tube with A contacts.
Thank you.
Yes, it is possible.
But as far as I can see from the smallish pic on the ebay add, this converter is a six contact version (KA mount, Features and Operation of the Ka Mount), meaning that the later added 7th contact is missing (KA2 or KAF mounts, Features and Operation of the Kaf Mount). The camera will read minimum apperture from the lens/tube version and enable Tv and P modes, but it is the 7th contact that communicates most of the info between lens and body: focal length, exact apperture, multi-segment meetering, some flash functions, subject distance etc. With this "tube" without the 7th contact nothing of this will work. Perhaps you are oK with this, or else look for one with 7 contacts.

03-03-2009, 05:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Yes, it is possible.
But as far as I can see from the smallish pic on the ebay add, this converter is a six contact version (KA mount, Features and Operation of the Ka Mount), meaning that the later added 7th contact is missing (KA2 or KAF mounts, Features and Operation of the Kaf Mount). The camera will read minimum apperture from the lens/tube version and enable Tv and P modes, but it is the 7th contact that communicates most of the info between lens and body: focal length, exact apperture, multi-segment meetering, some flash functions, subject distance etc. With this "tube" without the 7th contact nothing of this will work. Perhaps you are oK with this, or else look for one with 7 contacts.
Thank you for this info, I'll look into it more.....
03-03-2009, 07:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the issue will be as follows.

the elements will come out in either one or 2 groups. BUT this will leave a big circular assembly in the middle that may not be willing to come out. You may need to disassemble both sides of the TC (i.e. mounts) to get this out, and this plate may also be needed to hold the apature activating lever. I have one that has a wonderful ball bearing movement for the lever, along with some springs, all of which pivot around the opening for the lens groups. If you cut this portion out, you may also compromise the automatic apature, leaving you with a lens attachment that has the A mode contacts but no ability to control the apature with the camera
03-03-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried it, it didn't work as well. The lens element doesn't quite fall apart but all sorts of springs and levers do

Anyhow, destroyed the inside to finally remove the internal elements and put all the springs back in place (got the mount bent a bit, but it can be mounted but not fully seated).

However, once installed I am surprised how close I have to get to the subject to get it in focus. The dof is razor thin. Focusing on the lens pretty much does nothing. The very short subject distance and the thin DOF makes these extension tubes non-suitable for me. So, at least I know extension tubes are not an option for me, thanks to this TC. The end caps will be put to use .

03-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What focal length did you try for a lens.

If I recall correctly the TC was about 22 mm thick, therefore with kit lens you could get better than 1:1 at shorter focal lengths.

Remember for 1:1 you need extension equal to focal length.
03-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

However, once installed I am surprised how close I have to get to the subject to get it in focus. The dof is razor thin. Focusing on the lens pretty much does nothing. The very short subject distance and the thin DOF makes these extension tubes non-suitable for me. So, at least I know extension tubes are not an option for me, thanks to this TC.
What's the focal length of the lens?

The subject distance and the DOF are just the laws of physics. They apply to macro photography, no matter how you get to it.

I have a 60 macro lens. At 1:1 magnification, the subject is about 2" from the front of the lens. A 100mm macro lens, also at 1:1 magnification, gives me about 9" from the front of the lens to the subject.

Roughly, to get to 1:1 magnification, you need to bring the lens out from the camera body a distance as great as the focal length of the lens. So to get to 1:1, a 60mm lens needs 60mm tube and a 100mm lens needs 100mm tube.

An 18mm lens needs only 18mm tube to get to 1:1. But the subject practically touches the lens.

For setup with extension tube, the focusing mechanism on the lens doesn't do a whole lot. It's easier to move the whole setup back and forth. A macro focusing rail on a tripod is of great help.

DOF is always a problem. When you close down the aperture to get decent DOF, you don't have enough light. That's why you also need a flash, preferrably one with variable output.
03-04-2009, 06:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's a 50mm lens.

It's a 1:2 macro. Does this native magnification matter on what a 25mm long extension tube would do ? so what is the final magnification on a 50mm 1:2 macro with a 25mm extension tube ?

Thanks

P.S: I know about the dof being razor thin even before, never the less, it is just amazing to see it first hand. I was trying it from f2.8 all the way to f16 (max), and was fine at f16, but I am not interested in using this particular lens anything other than F2.8 or F4...I am just working on all possible use for this lens with it's quirkiness.
03-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Moved to accessory section.
03-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It's a 50mm lens.

It's a 1:2 macro. Does this native magnification matter on what a 25mm long extension tube would do ? so what is the final magnification on a 50mm 1:2 macro with a 25mm extension tube ?
I apologize if I ask wrong questions here....

Are you sure the 50mm is a macro lens capable of 1:2 magnification? If it is, adding a 25mm will bring the magnification to 1:1, or very close to that.

What I'm afraid of is that the lens is a 50mm 1:2 lens. 1:2 here means f/2, the largest aperture, having nothing to do with macro.

A macro lens in most cases will have the word "macro" somewhere on the lens. A macro lens will extend significantly at close focus. See photos below:

Infinity focus:

At 1:1 magnification:

It does not matter how good the lens is, at macro range, F/2.8 - F/4.0 is not very practical.
03-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

your lens is apparently, at least, 1:2 macro, it is truely a macro lens based upon the photos you show with the extension of the group when focused close,

I also like the apature scale showing the apparant apature change when you focus out, very useful for flash work.

As for final magnification ratio, assuming lens is 1:2 yes 25 mm would probably take you to 1:1,
03-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is a f2.8 1:2 macro lens, I am sure of it. It is the Volna-9. I know A-contacts are usually useless with M42 lenses, but I have a plan

But, now I can see how this ext. tube would be useful to get close with certain subjects, so I will keep this frankenstein extender for such occasions.
03-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It is a f2.8 1:2 macro lens, I am sure of it..
Sorry for doubting you. On some forum here, someone asks whether the SMC Pentax-M 50mm 1:2 has 1:2 magnification....

With a 1:2 macro lens, the extension tube is still useful. Many macro lenses can go 1:2, and come with an extension tube to get to 1:1.