Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Monopod & short focal lengths?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Do you or have you used such a setup, or do you consider it worthwhile?

I've managed to get a perfectly good 1.3" exposure by using a monopod and the DA 16-45 @ 16mm.

Do you usually reserve your monopod for long focal length work only?

03-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's almost always an improvement, if circumstances are appropriate, though the setup time can slow you down more than seems worth it. I like having my hiking-pole-with-gun/scope rest when walking around, and this idea has potential.

(Still need to get a less-bendy-springy pole to get real stability, something I've been putting off, but in concept this seems viable for quickness and convenience: at the moment the setup's really just best for helping me walk and compensating for any fatigue or weakness I might experience: primarily right now, it just helps me not fall down if I get really stiff in the joints, and may as well be camera support while it's at that job: just bracing the lens on that crook actually makes a good place to put your walking pole, if nothing else. )

But I use it with shorter lenses all the time, and in principle it should work well. Takes no time at all to put the camera on it, , and with the right qualities of actual stick, should give most of the benefit of a monopod. Steadiness is always helpful, if you can have it.

There's also a kind of neat Giottos monopod head with a quick release that looks pretty efficient and unobtrusive to me, (kind of has a round bit, comes with one of their monopods that has little legs you can add to it) which might be nice for such purposes.
03-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

...There's also a kind of neat Giottos monopod head with a quick release that looks pretty efficient and unobtrusive to me, (kind of has a round bit, comes with one of their monopods that has little legs you can add to it) which might be nice for such purposes...
You mean one like this? The head looks to be pretty much ideal for this application.

Steve
03-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You mean one like this? The head looks to be pretty much ideal for this application.

Steve
That looks like the thing. ( I've been sort of in a slow process of trying a few things on for concept with cheaper things before I make a big-for-me investment in something nice, but that kind of head has caught my attention. Looks about right: not bulky or squared-off, and you can turn the mounting itself rather than having another separate movement, if you want to go from flippy to tilty.)

The other concept is of course a ballhead, aforementioned y-rest, or no head at all. One thing I know about using such a thing for short lens work is, you'll want to take it off frequently.

03-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

....I like having my hiking-pole-with-gun/scope rest when walking around, and this idea has potential.....
You mean something like this attached to a monopod............

Last edited by WJW; 11-23-2009 at 07:20 PM.
03-04-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WJW Quote
You mean something like this attached to a monopod............

Same concept, only really all you need is basically the little piece of plastic with a rubber pad in it that comes with a lot of hiking poles. I think I've seen them available separately, actually. That Slik thing would probably be excessive for a shorter lens.

I think things with the head I'm talking about are most often sold as 'Shooting sticks' fairly often under outdoorsey categories in various places. The cheaper ones that come with such things seem to have perfectly good scope rests, so the cost isn't a big deal. I'm pretty sure I saw just the rests sold alone somewhere really cheap, and I'll be looking for a couple, myself.

(I just scored a little Gitzo knockoff monopod off Ebay: I've been wanting to try on the concept of carrying something really short on my belt or some such for a while, for just this purpose, and see if I really want to deal with unfolding all those sections before investing in something nice. So, I'll maybe report on how that goes. Let me see if I can find those things. )

Here's a random listing for the kind of pole combo I'm always taking about. This one's apparently a real cheapie:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hammers-Steady-Shooting-Stick-Monopod-V-Rest-Gun-Pod_W0Q...3%3A1|294%3A50

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 03-04-2009 at 11:17 AM.
03-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I've been thinking of making a stealth (or at least multipurpose) cane/monpod based on an extensible cane with a Derby head.

I've had very good luck using a Y shaped yoke atop a shooting stick, which is pretty obvious and isn't as easy to tote around as a Derby Cane would be. A stealth monopod might be useful in museums, at the theater, etc.

Iowa Dave

Last edited by newarts; 03-04-2009 at 11:26 AM.
03-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I think things with the head I'm talking about are most often sold as 'Shooting sticks' fairly often under outdoorsey categories in various places. The cheaper ones that come with such things seem to have perfectly good scope rests, so the cost isn't a big deal. I'm pretty sure I saw just the rests sold alone somewhere really cheap, and I'll be looking for a couple, myself.
Walmart's got a nice, lightweight, camera black (Remington?) Shooting Stick for $9.97.

Iowa Dave

PS that's what I'd put a Derby Cane head on most likely.
03-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
I've been thinking of making a stealth (or at least multipurpose) cane/monpod based on an extensible cane with a Derby head.

I've have very good luck using a Y shaped yoke atop a shooting stick, which is pretty obvious and isn't as easy to tote around as a Derb Cane would be. It might be useful in museums, at the theater, etc.
Someone mentioned that on another thread. (Actually, I think it was one I started myself a while ago, looking for recommendations on a better version of my hiking pole itself. ) The cane head could be a good concept for me, since there are times when one knee or hip or the other could stand to have the load taken off.
03-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Do you or have you used such a setup, or do you consider it worthwhile?

I've managed to get a perfectly good 1.3" exposure by using a monopod and the DA 16-45 @ 16mm.

Do you usually reserve your monopod for long focal length work only?
ive used my monopod in broad daylight with a 35 and 50mm lens, even at speeds of 1/1000th.

i see no shame in using it, regardless of light conditions or focal length.