Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2009, 04:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Questions: using extention tubes?

I just picked up a set of Kenko auto extention tubes so I an looking for some tips. Got a killer deal otherwise I probably wouldn't have purchsed them because these things aint cheap.
I do know one thing, I can hardly wait for my new tripod because trying to adjust my cheap old one is a real pain working with these.
1:1 is difficult as it is and this makes the set up quite a bit bigger to work with. I my be looking to get a macro rail to go along with these. What do you think?

Anyway, any tips would be greatly apreciated. I"ve seen some really great extreme macro shots done by some of you folks and I know it take a lot of practice and skill to do it right.

Thanks
Oren

Last edited by OrenMc; 03-04-2009 at 05:15 AM.
03-04-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
Stop down farther than you think you need to, and practice.
03-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Wheatfield, you mean I can't just skip the practice?
03-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The macro rail is certainly a very good idea, as focusing is the single most annoying challenge in macro photography. The next one is light! You need to get light onto your subject and that gets more difficult, the higher your magnification, as the lens-to-subject distance decreases. If you end up with the lens sticking in the flower, you will have a hard time with the light... I prefer a combination of daylight and flash via a dedicated cord. Sometimes I place the external flash on its own tripod, to free my hands (oh, yes you need at least three, better four hands for macros!). And if natural light is really scarce I combine a ringlflash with an second external flash, the ring flash providing the bsic illumination and the external flash adding some highlights and shadows to give the subject more dimensionality.

There are books written on macro phottgraphy, so I better stop here.

Keep on practicing, though...
Ben

03-04-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Crap, I have to take the tubes back. They kind of work on my Sigma 105 if I make sure the contacts are connected. But I just tried to see what my Nokton could do with them and the fit is too snug. Something wrong with the mount. Couldn't get them all the way mounted without applying too much pressure and I'll be damned if I scew up my Nokton over a set off tubes.
Maybe I'll try again sometime down the road if I find a set that doesn't cost too much.

BTW Ben, thanks for the help anyway.