Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Another Tripod Question

I've been reading about tripods for a while now, and have looked at a few of them. I'm now to the point my head is spinning!

I want to do this right - not buy a tripod I'm going to upgrade in a year. In fact, I'd like this to be the last tripod I buy for a very long time.

I hike and so won't carry something that is really heavy. I already have a Velbon tripod I bought years ago for a video camera and rarely use it because its heavy and I'm not crazy about the pan/tilt head.

I have an REI hiker/monopod which I like very well, but the Giotto ball head (a small one) is too light-weight for the lenses I've been using. It will slip, and the lenses I'm using aren't all that heavy or long. I tend to use this monopod more for steadying the camera, rather than actually mounting the camera on the head. But the monopod has limitations, so I really want a tripod.

My first and main concern is weight. I'm not willing to compromise on this, so I'm only looking at carbon fiber. Smaller size would be nice, but I'm willing to compromise here. On the other hand, I'm only 5 feet tall, so might be able to get by nicely with a 4 section tripod where I just leave the last section collapsed, I think.

I'm using the K20 and my heaviest lenses are the Viv S. One 105 Macro and the A*300 (the lens that the monopod's head doesn't like). I don't anticipate getting anything longer but could be talked into a heavier 300mm lens at some point (like the DA*300) and I'd like to get a TC perhaps.

I'm not so crazy about Manfrotto's leg locks - the one I looked at in the store was hard to operate and I kept pinching my fingers. I preferred the Gitzo's twist lock.

I've just about decided to get the Gitzo 1531 or 1541 and the Really Right Stuff head, L-plate (no grip, my hands are too small) and quick release. However, I've seen that there are a number of other manufacturers that make tripods that sound comparable, but are cheaper (like Adorama's house brand, Slik, etc.). I don't mind spending the extra money on the Gitzo if it will last longer and be sturdier. My local camera store doesn't actually have that model Gitzo so I haven't actually held one (I looked at a different model). I'm thinking of taking a day off when I'm ready to buy and visiting RRS's show-room. Probably the reason I've more or less decided on them is that they are relatively local to me, though they are NOT cheap.

My questions are - is this set-up over-kill, or not enough (I'd rather go a bit heavier capacity than too light, like the Giotto head I have)? Is the Gitzo really worth the extra cost, given that I'd rather spend the money and buy once, rather than constantly upgrading? As a not-very-good photo hobbiest, is it silly for me to go the RRS/Gitzo route?

03-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hi mtngal,

A really good tripod and head are a delight to use and I would heartily recommend that you go with the best you can afford.

My needs were a little different in that I really needed sturdy to be the priority and weight secondary. I ended up with a carbon fiber Velbon Sherpa 740, which is a very sturdy 4 section tripod. I have a Markins M20 head with a Kirk L bracket.

I am pretty short as well 5'2" and I had the same idea as you about not extending the fourth section. As you check out the various specifications for the tripods you are considering make sure you check the maximum height w/o the column extended. You will want to get the tallest one you can if you don't want to use the fourth section. Divide that max. height by 4 and you will have an appoximate idea of the length of the sections. If you subtract that amount from the max. height you will be able to tell just how tall you tripod will be without that fourth section. Add you camera height to that, put a mark on the wall and see if you will be comfortable doing that much bending. You could add one of those right-angle view finder thingies put that would just be more to carry and more weight.

I agree with you about the Bogen/Manfrotto flip locks. They are difficult to use and tend to catch on things.

Good luck with your quest. I spent the better part of a year researching which, at least, gave me the time to save as much as the whole darn thing ended up costing! LOL
03-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

You can't go wrong with a Gitzo, they are pretty much as good as it gets. Have a look at the Feisol tripods as well. I have one of their larger ones and it is extremely well put together.
03-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Whenever it comes to lightweight tripods I heartily recommend the Velbon Sherpa Pro 540. It is a 4 section tripod, has Gitzo style locks and is simply superb. It weights just over 1 kg and comes with a stone bag, which you attach to the legs for stabilization (or leave it at home to save weight). You can divide the center column and leave a part of it at home to save weight or simply to get lower with the tripod - though it is well suited to macro photography on the move.

I added a Novoflex Ball 30, which is a very basic ball head, but its carrying capacity is matched to the Sherpa Pro 540 and it weights only just over 200 Gramms.

I use this combo with the K20+grip+ 70-200/2.8 (even + 1.4x tc) or with the same camera and the old Pentax A 400/5.6 and it is absolutely capable of keeping this equipment steady. As the 400mm lens or the zoom + tc is a long combination, I usually use a remote trigger to prevent excessive vibrations during longer exposures, but at day time, even that isn't necessary.

Ben

03-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I've been reading about tripods for a while now, and have looked at a few of them. I'm now to the point my head is spinning!
I was in the exact same spot just a couple weeks ago. Too many to chose from and not wanting to have to purchase again. Also something light weight for hiking. I went with the Feisol standard and the medium ball head. I should have it in my hands next week and could let you know how that goes then. That is if you haven't already settled on one or been pushed over the edge with frustration.
Good luck!!
03-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into the Velbon Sherpa 540. The remote isn't a problem - I recently got tired of trying to juggle camera and reflector and bought both a wired and wireless remote.

OrenMc - I'd be very interested in what you think about the Feisol, I've noticed it's been recommended quite often here. I'm not in a position to buy something until April (might have to wait until May and my b-day), so I have lots of time. Does the ball head have a quick release? My table-top tripod doesn't and I find screwing on the head enough of an aggravation that I've only recently started using it again now that I have a male to male threaded reversing ring.

The other thing I've been debating is whether to get macro rails.
03-05-2009, 04:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Heres a link to USA dealer. Great customer service.

http://www.feisol.net/
But to answer your question, the ball heads do have QR plate.
I will do a review in the review section when I get it.

I have been looking at macro rails also.

03-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Have you checked Giottos?
Link: MT-3