Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Marumi Circular Polarizer

Hello all, I recently purchased a 67mm Marumi Circular Polarizer from Advanced camera in Beaverton, OR. Cost me $60, marked at $110 but they took a large portion off. Just thought i'd pass this along as a good option for those looking for a nice filter. Store owner said it has 10 coatings but who really knows? Hard to find info on these filters!

As for a review I'll say this...top notch! I haven't had any problems with flaring (i never use a hood) and not much noticeable vignetting. On the other side, there are many positives. Colors look great, I never thought I could make skies this blue! I posted four pictures to my flickr page(link is in my sig) if you want to see what I was able to do with it. Now I think all I need is a ND grad filter and I'm set...

Bottom line I don't think you can beat this for the price. Its hard to find a cpl thats that large and that price, let alone one with many coatings. Good filters make all the difference and while I'm not really into a lot of the color changing filters after shooting with this a little bit I think circular polarizers are required equipment.

Please let me know if you have any questions or want me to do any sort of test shots with it.

03-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I love Marumi filters. I use their DHG filters. Better than the Hoya Pro1 filters in my experience. Easier to clean too (hate cleaning those Hoyas in the field)
03-05-2009, 12:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
I love Marumi filters. I use their DHG filters. Better than the Hoya Pro1 filters in my experience. Easier to clean too (hate cleaning those Hoyas in the field)
Yeah thats what it is, their DHG Circular Polarizer. Gotta say this is one of the best "bang for your buck" products since...well...the k20d =)
03-05-2009, 12:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Moved to accessories section

03-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
Forum Member

Polish site Optyczne.pl has tested recently a buch of different circular polarisers. Marumi DHG came on top, ahead of B+W, Heliopan and Hoya. They are indeed very good. However stay away from Marumi WPC. This is older series of filters and they are apparently not good (at least circ-pol).
The test was very well made, testing flare, built, and transparency and number of other factors using scientific techniques, so I'd say it's quite valid. I can dig up a link if you want but is all in polish, so not much use for most here.
03-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #6

Makes me feel a bit better about the DHG 77mm cpl I just ordered. Cool!
03-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have the 49mm DHG and really like it. I was going to order a 67mm also but found a very good deal on the B+W first. Maybe I should have went Marumi because I don't like the color output of it. I still have one or two more I need to get and Marumi is the way I am going. I probalby should do that soon because I know once they get a little more popular the price will go up.

Its not a very good day outside weatherwise so that why I'm not out shooting . I am trying to think of something to keep me busy though besides staring at my computer.
03-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
jlp
Forum Member

You may want to take a look at West Coast Camera as a resource; I have purchased Heliopan, B & W, and Marumi filters from them; they are great to deal with, offer free shipping (US) and have good stock ( I believe they no longer carry Heliopan, so there may be little/no remaining stock.) Miranda is great to work with and is always responsive. As an aside, they also do the ebay thing . . . I have found some occasional price differences on the same filter.

Hope this helps,

Jack

03-09-2009, 03:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thats where I got mine at. Their located just 100 miles north of me but I purchased through the bay with free shipping. If I recall right I only payed 29 bucks for the 49mm DHG CPL with weather resistant coating.
03-09-2009, 05:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I use a linear....I think it is a Marumi....cost me all of $15 and works great.
05-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just picked up a 77mm DHG for $67 from 2filter.com -- looks like they just started stocking the Marumi line, and may have lowered prices for a short while (some sort of beef with Hoya's US marketing practices, from the looks of their site).
05-04-2009, 11:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Mike Cash: I use a linear....I think it is a Marumi....cost me all of $15 and works great.
So do I. though its made by Kenko and it works great too. Bought it partly with your advice Mike which is found in the LP thread at our forum--thank you!