Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Need a new sling bag

My huge backpack is too big. My hardcase is too small. I have a holster I wear on my belt for Zoos and such. But I am looking at sling bags to hold either my K200 or K100 Super and 2 additional lenses and my 360 flash. I am looking at the KATA 3inone-10 or 20, the Velocity 8X or Zeikos SLR Sling backpack. Anyone had any experience with these 3?
Thanks,
Carl

03-05-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi, crbrune.

I'm still waiting for my Kata 3N1-30. Should be delivered tomorrow.
What kind of lenses are you planning to carry?
If any of them is 70-200/2.8 than Kata 3N1-10/20 definitely won't fit. I've tried it.
You'll need the Kata 3N1-30 for that.
So far I think Kata 3N1 gives the best comfort if you like sling/backpack solution since it has so many option on how to wear it.
I've done many research for this bag and it's the best for my need so far.

I tried Tamrac Velocity in the store and don't really like it. It is surely slim, probably the most compact among those 3.
But it's so hard to take out the camera because of its compactness.

No experience with Zeiko though. It looks like Pentax sling bag which get a lot of good review. Or like Lowepro slingshot series.

Last edited by HermanLee; 03-05-2009 at 03:08 PM.
03-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
julianactive

I bought a Tamrac sling pack for my K200d with kit lens. I got their smallest one and it works great! I mountain bike a lot with my camera and it was the best solution I have found for protecting the camera and super quick access.

The Official Tamrac Homepage - The leading manufacturer and distributor of camera, photography and camcorder bags
03-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
julianactive

I looked at the other bags you folks were talking about.

For my needs I love my bag. I removed some compartments from my bag to make it fit better. I find it easy to get out, but I did remove the bulky strap off my camera.
What I like about it is that it is nicely padded and there is no risk of having the camera fall out when you unzip the bag. Super quick to get too.
Of course everyone has different needs. I don't intend on carrying a bunch of extra gear or lenses with me.

03-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a Lowepro Slingshot 200 that got overstuffed a few too many times and the stitching on the zipper started to give out. I looked at the Kata 3N1 and was impressed with the versatility, but didn't think the shoulder straps had as much padding as the Lowepro. The 20 looked like it would hold about the same amount of stuff as the Lowepro 200 (I actually wanted to look at the 30 model since I seem to carry so much stuff around, but never found one). I ended up buying another 200 because Costco had them on sale.

You might also want to check out M Rock's sling bag. I took a look at some of their other bags and modular systems this past summer and was really impressed with the quality. The store I was at didn't have their sling bag, though it sounds very similar to the Lowepro.
03-06-2009, 03:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crbrune Quote
My huge backpack is too big. My hardcase is too small. I have a holster I wear on my belt for Zoos and such. But I am looking at sling bags to hold either my K200 or K100 Super and 2 additional lenses and my 360 flash. I am looking at the KATA 3inone-10 or 20, the Velocity 8X or Zeikos SLR Sling backpack. Anyone had any experience with these 3?
Thanks,
Carl
the Kata looks like a suitcase on your back
the Zeikos never heard of
but the velocity 8x i can vouch for, to put it mildly, its an upgraded lowepro slingshot

Dave
03-06-2009, 05:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I love my LowePro Fastpack 350. Here is a link with all sorts of camera bag information.

CAMBAGS.COM Camera bag review resource for Canon and Nikon D-slr cameras

Tim

03-06-2009, 05:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fast Packs have the sling bag convenience with the backpack comfort. It is like a backpack, but when you release the right shoulder harness and rotate to the front, the camera/lens compartment opens from the side of the bag (which will face up at you when you rotate over), very convenient.

I have the 200. I thought I was buying the 250 and bought the 200. It is small, but I like it. It even held the K10D attached to the Sigma 100-300 (lens hood reversed). Was able to put my DA21, FA43 and the Volna-9 along with those.

Look into this as well (250, 300 or even the 200 as the 200 does not get in the way at all...)
03-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I'll give a vote to the Kata 3n1-20

I carried the K20D+grip with Sigma 17-70 mounted, DA50-200, FA28, F50, 540 Flash w/diffuser in the lower compartment. Extra batteries and memory cards in the side pockets, and lunch in the top.

There are really only 2 things I wish it had - a mesh water bottle holder... and some way to strap a tripod on....

Otherwise, its been perfect for me...

And the rain cover works great... stood out for several hours in the rain - no worries...
03-09-2009, 11:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ccallana Quote
I'll give a vote to the Kata 3n1-20

I carried the K20D+grip with Sigma 17-70 mounted, DA50-200, FA28, F50, 540 Flash w/diffuser in the lower compartment. Extra batteries and memory cards in the side pockets, and lunch in the top.

There are really only 2 things I wish it had - a mesh water bottle holder... and some way to strap a tripod on....

Otherwise, its been perfect for me...

And the rain cover works great... stood out for several hours in the rain - no worries...
ccallana, if you're looking for Kata 3N1 tripod holder, here it is:
Kata Tripod Holder for 3N1 Sling/Backpack by Bogen Imaging Inc.

Be cautious that this holder only can hold max 2.5kg according to Kata web site.

My Kata 3N1-30 arrived few days ago and I've been playing to set it up the best.
Man, it's an amazingly spacious bag for it's size since with my configuration, I can put 3 of K20D bodies, FA* 80-200/2.8, DA* 16-50, Flash AF 540, and some primes.
Imagine that 3 bodies. I don't know if I can still carry it on my shoulder
but it surely nice to know that it holds that much.