Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Has anybody used this diffuser?

Amazon.com: Prolight Universal WhaleTail Reporter Flash Diffuser System for Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Sony, Sigma, & Other External Flash Units: Electronics

Is this diffuser exactly the same like Gary Fong Whale Tail Reporter?

I'm thinking to use it on my Pentax AF 540FGZ.

If anybody ever used this one, would you please share on how this diffuser performs?
Should I consider something else?
I will use it mostly for portrait or group portrait.

Thanks in advance,

03-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm nobody knows about this?
03-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Diffusers

There was a big thread on diffusers about a week or so ago. I think the WhaleTail is still too new and not many have had experience with it yet. Seems right now many of us are enamored with the Fong LightSphere (I may pick one up myself!). Search for that thread, there were many excellent sample images using various types of diffusers; you may be happy with one of those other diffuser products.
Aside from that, this Amazon product seems to be a knock-off of the original Fong product, which itself is relatively untested. Compound that with the fact that the seller is "47th Street Photo", and if it were me I'd pass. (Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't 47th one of those shady, high-pressure internet dealers? The kind that advertise a K20D for $400 but if you want the battery it's an extra $350???) Good luck.
03-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
Aside from that, this Amazon product seems to be a knock-off of the original Fong product, which itself is relatively untested. Compound that with the fact that the seller is "47th Street Photo", and if it were me I'd pass. (Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't 47th one of those shady, high-pressure internet dealers? The kind that advertise a K20D for $400 but if you want the battery it's an extra $350???) Good luck.
I tried to contact this 47th Street Photo with no success.
So I think I'll just stay away from now. I don't know how good they are.

BTW, I contacted Gary Fong and they said that they will not produce anymore Whale Tail. They'll just keep the Lightsphere in production.

03-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Lightshere and rarely use it on the AF540 FGZ. It does a decent job but the issue is the flash. The click stops in the articulating head SUCK!!!! They can barely hold the weight of the flash head let alone a diffuser. So about the only thing you can use on it is a Sto Fen which is light enough. Otherwise the stupid thing flops down with the slightest movement.

I cut the sides of the part that slips on the flash and now use it on an AF400T with some Velco (bigger flash head) since that flash was built much better and will stay in place.

ANYONE at Pentax listening???
03-16-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Actually I've bought 3 things from 47th street and would say their sales and service were excellent. (I returned a DA*16-50mm last year without issues and a full refund) Delivery was fast. I'd recommend them from my experiences.
03-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I bought a Sigma EF-530 DG Super flash from 47th St. Photo earlier this year over the internet and had no problems receiving it in Australia. Price was good too ($219.95 USD) and O/S postage was reasonable.

Dan.

03-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have the actual gary fong whale tail studio. works good. cant say how good those knock offs will be tho...but I do like mine, just makes the whole set up heavier...and the head of the 540 will be really top heavy..and will just tilt by itself...if ur not carefull (just like what peter zack said..)
03-17-2009, 05:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
47th Street

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Actually I've bought 3 things from 47th street and would say their sales and service were excellent. (I returned a DA*16-50mm last year without issues and a full refund) Delivery was fast. I'd recommend them from my experiences.
Well I did say, "Correct me if I'm wrong"! I stand corrected!!!