Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
trigger voltage

Hi,

I asked this Q in other thread but didn't get answer.
It's simple:
Is trigger voltage of all Pentax flashes the same? Or rephrased: Is it safe to use old automatic flashes on new bodies?

THX

Peter

03-12-2009, 02:51 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Flash voltages

Here's a link to relevant info. There's a half dozen Pentax flashes listed. The 'your call' and 'No' relates to the C***n Eos which has a very low fry point. After reading somewhere that my K100D Super was safe with anything below 12 volts, I use that as a base point. Rightly or wrongly
Flash triggers
Hope the info is what you're after. Ray
03-12-2009, 05:30 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Is trigger voltage of all Pentax flashes the same? Or rephrased: Is it safe to use old automatic flashes on new bodies?
I would recommend that you actually measure the trigger voltage on the flash, rather than rely on published data. A maximum trigger voltage of 12V seems to be regarded as safe for Pentax DSLRs, as far as I can determine.

If in doubt, get an overvoltage protection hotshoe adapter like a Wein Safesync.

Paul
03-12-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How doI measure trigger voltage on flashgun?
I don't have any special equipment to do so nor am I planning to purchase some...

03-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't have any special equipment to do so nor am I planning to purchase some...
You'll need a voltmeter. Put one lead on the center pin on the bottom of the foot, and the other lead on the metal contact on the side of the foot, just above the lip that slides into the hot shoe.

Press the test button on the flash and read the voltage. You'll want it on DC Volts.
03-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
You'll need a voltmeter. Put one lead on the center pin on the bottom of the foot, and the other lead on the metal contact on the side of the foot, just above the lip that slides into the hot shoe.

Press the test button on the flash and read the voltage. You'll want it on DC Volts.
Just 2 points:

1 - I don't think you need to press the flash test button. That will discharge the flash. In normal operation, the camera triggers the flash by grounding the trigger circuit. You want to measure the flash in the charged and ready-to-fire state.

2 - Most electronic _hobbyist_ stores (ie where you buy resistors and capacitors and the like) will have a suitable meter behind the counter. I'm sure that one of the store assistants would be happy to take the measurement for you.

Paul
03-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You need a DIGITAL voltmeter. Analog (needle dial) meters are not sufficiently accurate for this application. Measure the potential (voltage) between the pin on the end and the contact on the side in the mounting groove. Take your reading with the flash turned on. No need to discharge the flash.

You can get a voltmeter at Radio Shack or any home improvement or good hardware store. They are cheap and amazingly useful once you have one. I use mine at least once a month around the house and car.

Steve