Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2009, 02:41 AM   #16
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well, I went the cheap route on the mat because Wally World only had one type. It was just 6 bucks--but there's no smell at all.

Maybe I should have also looked in the exercise area. You know--the stuff your wife buys and uses once and then goes in the closet forever.

Tomorrow I cut and glue--just like kindergarten!

03-20-2009, 02:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Same glue for all of these materials?
No, I don't think so. Sleeping mats (EVAzote or others) are hard to glue together due to their softness/compressability and their foam structure. I usually use gaffer tape. Another option could be a hot glue gun, which is anyway easier to use than conventional glue, as it cools fast and then the stuff really sticks.

Ben
03-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #18
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
No, I don't think so. Sleeping mats (EVAzote or others) are hard to glue together due to their softness/compressability and their foam structure. I usually use gaffer tape. Another option could be a hot glue gun, which is anyway easier to use than conventional glue, as it cools fast and then the stuff really sticks.

Ben
Well, Ben--you're obviously a genius, because my friend just an hour or so ago also recommended the hot glue gun, which my wife has but that I've never seen or touched.

Believe me, I am paying CLOSE attention to what you're saying about certain materials damaging the lenses, but I'm playing this by ear for now. I'm sure this material is safe in the short-term, but who knows how it will hold up in this South Florida heat. so we'll see.

Anyway, time to grab a beer and start cutting!!!!
03-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Well, Ben--you're obviously a genius, because my friend just an hour or so ago also recommended the hot glue gun, which my wife has but that I've never seen or touched.

Believe me, I am paying CLOSE attention to what you're saying about certain materials damaging the lenses, but I'm playing this by ear for now. I'm sure this material is safe in the short-term, but who knows how it will hold up in this South Florida heat. so we'll see.

Anyway, time to grab a beer and start cutting!!!!
Enjoy the beer! and be careful with the cutter - especially if accompanied by a cradle of beer....

Ben

03-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #20
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Cultural differences:

When I hear the word "cradle," I think of babies.

CASE of beer, which is 24.

How many in a cradle? If it's more,. maybe I'll change my opinion.
03-21-2009, 04:52 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Cultural differences:

When I hear the word "cradle," I think of babies.

CASE of beer, which is 24.

How many in a cradle? If it's more,. maybe I'll change my opinion.
Numbers depend on the size of the bottles. We could have a "cradle" holding only 3 bottles, each containing 5 litres, from our local micro brewery (located in an pub dating back to the 16th century)... Oh, "cradle" is what I learned to be the term in British English, may be I am mistaken - but there are quite a few differences between American and British English, which at times lead to funny misunderstandings...

Ben
03-21-2009, 06:19 AM   #22
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
We have lift-off. I started cutting last night, and so far, so good.

But I got too drunk and started watching this nutty movie my wife rented (Happy Go Lucky)--so I was afraid to start messing with the glue gun.

Unlike many Americans, I DO believe in strict gun control, and I even fear one that fires GLUE. But if I ever get into a horrible domestic quarrel with my wife, the worst I'll be able to do is make her real sticky. And maybe after I have to wait 10 minutes for the gun to heat up, I'll calm down by then.

I want to finish her up today or tomorrow so I can do some real shooting for the first time in a long time. I'm the type who wants to have just about EVERYTHING along with me when I can--don't want to think damn, I should have brought the red filter--especially for my first time out in years.

Looks like configuring it to hold the 400 is going to be problem, but we'll see. I padded the bottom, and that extra inch might make it too tall to hold the lens vertically and comfortably zipper the top.

03-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Take some photos along the way, I'd like to see how this turns out
03-22-2009, 07:08 AM   #24
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The glue gun was simply--a total failure. It didn't adhere at ALL.

10AM Florida time now, got some contact cement, and I'm heading out to the backyard to stink up the neighborhood.

I'll post photos when the monstrosity--I mean masterpiece--is done.
03-22-2009, 07:27 AM   #25
Veteran Member

The glue gun was simply--a total failure. It didn't adhere at ALL.

10AM Florida time now, got some contact cement, and I'm heading out to the backyard to stink up the neighborhood.

I'll post photos when the monstrosity--I mean masterpiece--is done.
Gaffer tape! There are different glue sticks for the glue gun. You wold probably need something for flexible material. I need to try that...

Keep on reporting on your success.

Ben
03-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #26
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ben, exactly. Tape.

The contact cement worked fine to laminate the pieces together to make the sheets stronger, but trying to cut and do the eggshell fitting was a nightmare from the very first fit.

And the glue adheres fine to the surface you're applying it to, but not to the piece you stick onto it. Doesn't hold to that at ALL.

Must have something to do with its temp, that it cures too fast.