Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Check out Slik tripods

My vote goes for Slik tripods. Excellent value for the money for their top line products. Of course lower end models are crap

Take a look at these models:
Carbon Fiber Tripod PRO 713 CF II
Carbon Fiber Tripod PRO 714 CF II
Carbon Fiber Tripod PRO 813 CF II
Carbon Fiber Tripod PRO 814 CF II

They are very well made and will cost the same money as budget aluminium legs of manufacturer with "big name"

Note that load capacity is not the maximu, but suggested capacity. Maximum load weight is 10kg for 713/714 and 12kg for 813/814.

04-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 for 3021 (055) legs. Yeah, they're heavy, but that's the price of the price. I'm following the prescribed Noobie path with the 3047 Pan/Tilt Head - at least I own and use a MiniCam (for College Lacrosse) - with RC2 QR plates. I would upgrade to the 488 Ballhead to economize on keeping the plates.

More money for lenses that way.
04-21-2009, 03:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Manfrotto 190 series is a good balance of size and weight. If you have to lug the 055 versus the 190 by hand for an extended period, trust me most people would opt for the 190 series even if it gives up a little in maximum height.
04-21-2009, 08:43 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The Manfrotto 190 series is a good balance of size and weight. If you have to lug the 055 versus the 190 by hand for an extended period, trust me most people would opt for the 190 series even if it gives up a little in maximum height.
I agree that my 055 is a heavy sort of beast. My solution to carrying the brute is wrapping the upper leg sections in hot water pipe insulation held on with electrical tape. It really cuts down on the wear and tear on the shoulders.

My other tripods are a gorilla pod (the big one) and the uniquely designed Benbo Trekker.
  • A single handle controlls the legs and the tube on which you mount the camera. This is good in that the four tubes can be put into virtually any configuration desired.
  • The down side to the locking arrangement is that if the legs happen to be on something slippery, I have to be very careful that the whole thing does not collapse.
  • The legs are designed such that the outermost tube is the bottom of the two leg sections. The legs will stand in water about a foot (30 cm) deep with no water getting into the leg joints, and the inner section remains dry.
  • The camera tube slides back and forth once you have set the angle, making it very handy for flowers and bugs, although not as precise as a proper macro rail.
  • There is a hook on one end of the camera tube to hang weight.
  • The tripod is not as tall as the Manfrotto 055, so it is not as comfortable for the big lens.
  • It comes with a carrying bag. It has a double handle for carrying it and another shoulder loop that has to be the worst design on the face of the earth. There is no way the tripod in the bag will hang vertically for carrying while walking, although it looks like it should.
  • The tripod is very sturdy, but very light weight at the same time.
  • It works very well with the 100 macro and all three DA lenses, although the 50-135 does require some care in making certain that the lens will not droop from its weight.
Pluses and minuses. Isn't that the way with everything?

04-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #20
Forum Member

Sunpak

I recently bought the Sunpak Pro 723B...cf tripod. The gitzo's or other top name brands were way out of my price range. This is a great step up from what I was previously using. I stand about 5'5" and with the K20D attached it is right at eye level without any extentions used. It's my first ballhead and carbon fiber, so I'm quite impressed. Bought it for 299.99 through B&H Photo.

Sunpak | Pro 723B Carbon Fiber Tripod with | 620-723-CFT-B | B&H

The Sunpak Pro 723B Carbon Fiber Tripod with Ballhead is a heavy-duty, lightweight, full size tripod that is designed for the serious amateur and working professional photographer. By using carbon fiber material for its leg construction, this tripod is about a third lighter then comparable conventional aluminum tripods. This tripod features three positions of leg spread for normal, semi-low and full-low angle shooting, and the split rapid center column detaches appropriately to access the full range of height.

The included heavy-duty ballhead includes a large quick release system, and features a double lock design, with tension control.

The leg materials are made of high-strength carbon fiber tubing commonly used in aerospace engineering, which yield exceptional stability for its weight. Carbon fiber materials are very shock and vibration absorbent, but still relatively lightweight.

• Neoprene Leg Grips
The top sections of the legs come protected with neoprene non-slip foam covers, for better handling in extreme weather conditions
• Retractable Hook
The retractable hook can be used to add stability with a sand bag or equipment bag
• Top-leg diameter of 28mm
04-21-2009, 12:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

looks like an arcaswiss compatible qr system. for 300dolars, with a ballhead mounted, it is bloody good value for money, that's for sure (it would have to be terrible not to be ). how is that ballhead? do you like it? anything to compare it with (friends setups, ballheads displayed in a serious shop, where you can play with them)?
04-23-2009, 06:17 AM   #22
Forum Member

I'm thinking that the last post was a reply to mine.... But at any rate, I love the ballhead. I had an old pan and tilt before, so the ballhead is something totally new to me. It was suggested to me by my instructor..he said that once I used one, I'd never go back. Beginning to see what he meant! I don't have really anything to compare it to, but it fits me just great! I think the 'quick release' could be 'quicker', but I can deal with it. I'm sure there are better ones out there, and way more expensive, but this fit my needs and pocket-book at this point. The legs on it also extend outward to allow me to get a lower position if desired. I'm lovin' it!

10-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #23

What Happened to Bogen

QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
i was always under the impression that the bogen manfrotto legs were considered to be good, but yet on different sites you hardly see them being mentioned.
I think Bogen has disappeared and been taken over by Manfrotto. At least in the USA. Anybody know the deal with Bogen?
10-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomBrooklyn Quote
I think Bogen has disappeared and been taken over by Manfrotto. At least in the USA. Anybody know the deal with Bogen?
The tripods have always been Manfrotto. Bogen simply renamed the legs until recently. Here in Canada, I bought a set of 055B legs, which were relabeled Bogen 3021 in the USA if I remember correctly.