Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #1

New tripod and a monopod

Hello,

I am new to photography but a quick learner. I have decided that I would like a nice monopod for outdoor pics and a tripod/stand for my flash. I have a 360FGZ flash that I would like to use without having to mount it on my camera. Seems like the wireless mode dose the trick but I have to get my girlfriend to hold the camera for me and she is getting tired of it.

For the monopod I want something under $100 that is quick deploying. An adjustable head would be nice too.

For the tridpod/stand, it just has to hold my flash up.

Thanks!

03-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are a number of monopods out there, but I wanted one that I knew was sturdy enough to work as a trekking pole. I ended up getting the REI hiker and it works very well. I bought a relatively light-weight Giotto ball head, but it's not heavy enough for a long, heavy lens and sometimes droops. I end up using it mostly to just steady the camera, rather than actually mounting the camera on it. The monopod does work very well as a hiking pole, it goes with me on all my hikes now. Don't know if that would be what you would be interested in something like that or not.
03-17-2009, 09:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
monkeybear
Hello,
I am new to photography but a quick learner. I have decided that I would like a nice monopod for outdoor pics and a tripod/stand for my flash. I have a 360FGZ flash that I would like to use without having to mount it on my camera. Seems like the wireless mode dose the trick but I have to get my girlfriend to hold the camera for me and she is getting tired of it.

For the monopod I want something under $100 that is quick deploying. An adjustable head would be nice too.

Thanks!
I just bought a new tripod (with the help of another forum member) for an incredible price of $39. The price is incredible because the tripod is worth a lot more--a lot more.

I do not know anything about monopods, but this same company I bought the tripod from has 2 monopods advertised here:

Dolica Professional
03-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monkeybear Quote
Manfrotto 680B or 681B & 234RC Tilt-head. Should run you around $85 to $90 total. The 680B is a little shorter collapsed but it's also a 4 section so it won't be quite as sturdy.

QuoteQuote:
An 8' air-cushioned light stand with an umbrella swivel should come in at around $50 max. The umbrella swivel is optional and can be replaced by an off-camera shoe adapter, but the umbrella swivel adds versitility in positioning the flash (and you can put an umbrella on it!)