Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2009, 10:19 AM   #1

Problems with focusing screen.

Hi folks,

I was following with interest the various threads on split prism focusing screens as I have a few manual lenses and I find the stock screen very limited in getting a sharp focus. Not having a golden bucket full of diamonds laying around I decided against ordering a Katzeye screen but figured it wouldn't be too expensive to try one of the chiwanese screens that people were getting such good results with.
Well, it arrived today,
(This one, to be precise:
Diagonal Split Image Focus Screen 4 Pentax k10D k20D DS on eBay, also LCD Hoods Screen Protectors, Digital Camera Accessories, Camera Accessories, Cameras Photo (end time 25-Mar-09 17:44:46 GMT))
and I fitted it and immediately found a problem that no-one else seems to have reported so far. Once installed the screen looks as though it has been smeared with motor oil - I'm not kidding, almost every circular groove and all the microprisms look like they are filled with crud. It makes the screen un-usable as it's virtually impossible to see what you are pointing the camera at! It's worse zoomed out than it is with a wide angle lens on there, so presumably what I'm seeing is not actually muck on the screen but whatever optical principle it is that causes 'black-out' with a small aperture. With the screen out of the camera it doesn't look mucky although there are tiny white marks on it.
(so I'm back to my original screen, although of course I managed to get dust on it in the process )

Has anyone else found this?

03-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Have you removed the plastic protection on both sides of the focusing screen?

I got the same screen, and I think its as clear as tthe original screen.

Take an extra look and you will see the proction that has to be removed.
03-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
to-vid Have you removed the plastic protection on both sides of the focusing screen?

I got the same screen, and I think its as clear as tthe original screen.

Take an extra look and you will see the proction that has to be removed
I bought this same screen--it was as bright as my Katzeye. To-vid is right, the screen is protected with a very thin film, similar to good Plexiglass, which is hard to detect. If you do not remove it, you will get these very symptoms you report.

Please post back here so we know all is okay or not okay--thanks.

BTW: Even though the Split Prism from jinfinance comes with great packaging and tooling, there are no directions. But you can get very precise install directions all over this forum. Let us know if you can't find them and I'm sure one of us will help you out---BEST!
03-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #4

Original Poster
I am officially a horse's arse. Thank you to-vid, you're absolutely right, there was protective film on both sides. I was so mindful of the advice on here to make sure not to touch a focusing screen that I hadn't twigged there was a layer of something over the top. Just reinstalled it and had a quick look through and it looks great and focusing even in the subdued light of my lounge is quick and easy. Hopefully I'll get to test it with a few more taxing manual lenses later.

Thanks again to-vid!

ETA: And to Jeweltrail, I hadn't spotted your post when I replied

Last edited by Vormulac; 03-20-2009 at 01:40 PM.
03-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Hi Vormulac, I just received mine from "jinfinance" yesterday, the same one you have. I am having trouble to removing the protective film, would much appreciated if you could advice how you did it. I have not been able to see where I can peel it off!

Thanks
Dave
Dave:

I took mine off much like you would peel a stamp off its backing paper, only much more carefully. First, put the two finger condoms on (I suggest one on the index & one on the thumb of same hand) which come with the screen. Now use your thumb & indezx finger to hold the screen on its edges. Then, with your other hand, use the best fingernail to get under the very thin coating. Once you have it started, you can pull the rest of it off with tweezers.
03-21-2009, 12:03 AM   #6

Original Poster
Pretty much the same here, I teased up the corner with my thumbnail and then carefully pulled the rest off with tweezers. I didn't get any finger condoms with mine but I have a pack of latex gloves from a discount store for stuff like that.
03-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The screen came with a large plastic protection cover the screen, I peel that off and the protective film must be the same size as the screen. I have tried all four corner, & both side and still not able to fine the protective film. I think this one does not have the extra film even it was dark after installed in the camera. I might even have damage the screen while looking for the film. I will just give up and might try to order another one from Shoot-ing. By the way, this one dose not come with the tweezers & finger condoms.

Thanks Jeweltrail, Vormulac, for your help.

Dave
03-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #8

Original Poster
Mine didn't come with the condoms or tweezers and I have to say, I would never have spotted the film if I hadn't been told about it. The screen was mostly black when I put it in the camera with the film still on it but crystal clear after I took it off (I've tried it with a fixed f/8 lens and there was no blacking out either). I hope you get it to work as for 17 I am most impressed! Good luck.

03-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
IS050 The screen came with a large plastic protection cover the screen, I peel that off and the protective film must be the same size as the screen. I have tried all four corner, & both side and still not able to fine the protective film. I think this one does not have the extra film even it was dark after installed in the camera. I might even have damage the screen while looking for the film. I will just give up and might try to order another one from Shoot-ing. By the way, this one dose not come with the tweezers & finger condoms.

Thanks Jeweltrail, Vormulac, for your help.

Dave
Dave: It seems an earlier post of yours in this thread is now gone? Where did you buy your screen? In which camera are you installing it. You say above you removed a "large protection cover" already. Why do you think it has another cover on it? What do you man by a "dark screen"?
03-21-2009, 09:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Dave: It seems an earlier post of yours in this thread is now gone? Where did you buy your screen? In which camera are you installing it. You say above you removed a "large protection cover" already. Why do you think it has another cover on it? What do you man by a "dark screen"?
I purchased from "jinfinance" for the diagonal version and installed on K10D, It was much darker than the stock screen, I would assume that it must has the protected film on it. However, I still could not find it & might have "kill the screen during the search"! The package I received did have a oversize protection cover which I did removed. According to other members who has this from Jinfinance, the protected film is not so easy to notice, so I don't think the oversize protection cover was it. I am thinking to order another one but from Shoot-ing" which I don't think it has the same issue.

Thanks
Dave
03-21-2009, 11:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I purchased from "jinfinance" for the diagonal version and installed on K10D, It was much darker than the stock screen, I would assume that it must has the protected film on it. However, I still could not find it & might have "kill the screen during the search"! The package I received did have a oversize protection cover which I did removed. According to other members who has this from Jinfinance, the protected film is not so easy to notice, so I don't think the oversize protection cover was it. I am thinking to order another one but from Shoot-ing" which I don't think it has the same issue.

Thanks
Dave
I bought the same screen for my K20--it is awesome. I had the thin film over mine too--it was hard to find. I think it would be hard to ruin the screen though, especially if the cover is still on it. What is an "oversize protection cover" though--I do not think mine came with that last year.

Also, I am sure if you e-mail the seller, he will mail you another one. Everyone I know who got one there had no problems with it. I know there are exceptions, but give the seller a chance--nothing to lose. Just tell him it is dark. Can you focus at all with it? If you can, even if it's dark, there must not be a protective cover still on it. I do not think you could do anything if the cover was still on it.

Just ask Vormulac.
03-21-2009, 11:55 PM   #12

Original Poster
I couldn't see the film, I sort of scrabbled away at one corner with my thumbnail until I could feel it starting to shift and sure enough it came loose enough for me to pull up and get my tweezers on to. I figured I couldn't do any damage with my nail as I figure whatever the screen is made of is harder!
03-21-2009, 11:57 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by IS050 Quote

Thanks
Dave
I have one from shoot-ing and it is much darker tham K-m stock screen. And I have problems with blacking-out on both kit lens and on my macro setup (2x Vivitar MFTC + A50/1.7) at 1:1, which makes focus very hard. I guess I'll return to stock screen.
03-22-2009, 01:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I bought the same screen for my K20--it is awesome. I had the thin film over mine too--it was hard to find. I think it would be hard to ruin the screen though, especially if the cover is still on it. What is an "oversize protection cover" though--I do not think mine came with that last year.

Also, I am sure if you e-mail the seller, he will mail you another one. Everyone I know who got one there had no problems with it. I know there are exceptions, but give the seller a chance--nothing to lose. Just tell him it is dark. Can you focus at all with it? If you can, even if it's dark, there must not be a protective cover still on it. I do not think you could do anything if the cover was still on it.

Just ask Vormulac.
Well, I was able to focus and the screen was dark except the split circle area, maybe it did not have the protective film and that's why I count not find it. I will take your advice and confirm with the seller. Thanks
Dave