Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Trek go pod and it works well for me. I use it as much for a hiking stick as a monopod and it's held up so far for a year now. The tripod feet feature works but not too steady. I don't have a Bigma but I wouldn't trust the 70-300 extended either. I have used the tripod with the kit lens and a M135 for low light shots and it worked. I like it as a walking stick because it doesn't telescope shorter than walking stick length and I can feel secure if my knees give out as it will support my weight.

It wouldn't be a difficult thing to make a monopod out of any hiking stick, or ski pole. I'm thinking of setting a bushing in the top of a cross country ski pole handle and mounting the trek mag mount to it for next winters ski touring for those times I might need a monopod.

03-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I love my monopod. I used one for many years before it finally quit tightening up. And then after no using one for awhile, I realized how much I did use it. We hike alot and when I was using my film SLR, it was handy for taking steady pictures. Also, there is a metal point at the bottom that screws out that is great for helping with the hiking part. Much easier to use that than to carry a tripod around. Especially while trekking through a heavily wooded area or climbing up and down hills.
03-22-2009, 08:44 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Monopod, ease of mobility, portable, light, easy to set-up compare to tripod and I use often for macro shots for insects on A200 macro lens. Ofcourse with a ballhead attached. Especially great for chasing aftre moving critters. i use a velbon monopod and Giottos ballhead.

marcus