Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

monopods

are monopods really only for when you are using long lenses for long peroids of time
is there any benifits in using a monopod with a small prime lens like a 50 mm

Dave

03-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #2

If you shake a lot, they can be very helpful. I use mine all the time for macro work to add extra stability, but with more freedom than having to setup a tripod gives.
03-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anytime the light is sketchy, a monopod will help you get a sharper picture regardless of the lens.
03-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Anytime having added stability is desirable a monopod (or tripod) is valuable. It doesn't have to be for long glass or extended use.

They're great for shooting with slow(er) shutter speeds. When you're aiting for "the shot" it's much easier if you don't have to support the weight of the camera. You can use it as a walking stick. You can beat down would-be attackers. You can rib jab the jerk with the Canon that just elbowed their way infront of you at the zoo.... Lots of uses for a sturdy monopod.

03-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
You can rib jab the jerk with the Canon that just elbowed their way infront of you at the zoo.... Lots of uses for a sturdy monopod.
that's a good enough reason
first good laugh i have had all day
thanks for the replies

Dave
03-21-2009, 03:44 AM   #6
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please consider using a carrying strap if you don't have the monopod in or on your camera case or backpack.

Recently I used my monopod in a conservatory. I leaned the monopod against a wall, behind some plants, for safekeeping while I was not using it. Fortunately, it was still there when I returned a few minutes later, having forgotten and remembered that I left it there.

Also, I bought a small head for the monopod. That permits vertical composition and other adjustments.
03-21-2009, 06:28 AM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Monopods are weird, although I've used them in the past. They're cheap enough, so why not. But the camera can still move, so with long lenses, a tripod is still a much better option.

In addition, although a monopod gives you mobility of composition (easy to move around from spot to spot for the right view), I still find a tripod to be a better tool to work with. You simply can't tilt up and down with one like a tripod and lock yourself in.

When I use one, I generally put it between my legs and squeeze it tight with my knees to minimize movement. I also pull the camera tight against my forehead.
03-21-2009, 07:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Well, Ira, you can put heads on monopods, too, if you want to tilt more than a little: usually a ball-head or a tilty one. (We just had a whole thread about this. ) Also, I find a v-shaped gun/scope rest to be a nice combination, particularly with a hiking pole: this is nice particularly when you need a walking stick, anyway, in which event it may as well be camera support while it's at it. (This also makes a nice place to put your pole while you're shooting and not forget about it. )

03-21-2009, 07:58 AM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

Everyone shoots differently. I just found that adjusting the height of the monopod, and then playing with a head on it (which I tried but hated), was a pain in the a** to me. The benefit didn't warrant the hassle.

Again, they DO help, but I would much rather use a tripod, also because I find myself being more conscientious with my shooting.

I also preferred those shoulder stocks, because not only do they give you great stability, they're perfect when you have to frame and shoot fast.
03-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Personally I use monopods and tripods as monopods. Sometimes moving a tripod around is just too cumbersome to be workable. That's when a monopod is nice. Also, a monopod will get you in places a tripod won't (museums etc.), especially if it's cleverly disguised as a walking stick.

Conversely, I've extended one leg of the tripod and used it as a monopod on many occasions that I needed to move frequently to keep up with the action and didn't want to mess with all three legs.

I use a ballhead on either one regardless.
03-21-2009, 08:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I find the Manfrotto 680B Monopod with the Manfrotto 3229 Tilt head to be the perfect combo for almost any combo, from small primes up to a BIGMA...

Note that the BIGMA is mounted "sideways" on the tilt head allowing for "pitch" adjustment rather than "tilt". I find this the most versatile.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 03-21-2009 at 08:44 AM.
03-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Use of monopod

I use a monopod with a pistol grip (I'd rather have a Manfrotto ballhead, but no $ right now) for more stability than I am able too get handheld - especially useful in LOWER light.

To stabilize, I stand with my left foot forward and toes on my right foot pointed about 45 degrees to the right and my knees gently bent. I brace the monopod foot against the inside of my right foot. This works best if I hook it against the heel. I adjust the height and tilt the head slightly backwards so that my camera is approximately level (I shoot left eye, so my chest is not facing directly at my subject, but then it never is. I sort of shoot over my left shoulder.). I don't clench my muscles - I stand comfortably so I don't get tired quickly.

This allows me to adjust my composition while giving me a lot of stability when I am ready to shoot.

Not enough for macro, but worth a stop or two in low light.

When its time to move I just hang the camera over my right shoulder and hold the monopod in front of me. I have seen people do the same with a folded tripod.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-22-2009 at 09:21 AM.
03-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

You can use a monopod for other purposes than just propping a camera on the top of it.

For example, you can use it with the self-timer and hold it out at arm's length to get perspectives impossible from where you're standing:

Over the water....

Self-portrait (monopod held in right hand)....

Held overhead for fake "aerial" views....

You can also use it with a flash mounted instead of a camera. You can use them instead of a neckstrap when shooting a TLR. You can point at things and poke things with them. Many of them make nice walking sticks.

And some of them even come with a ballhead, such as the Velbon RUP-43 which I use.
03-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

to all the monopod users out there I ask a question. There are brands out there that offer three "feet" on some models for additional stability do they work? Looking into getting a monopod as a travel option instead of a tripod and was wondering if those monopods were a good choice ?
03-21-2009, 05:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
to all the monopod users out there I ask a question. There are brands out there that offer three "feet" on some models for additional stability do they work? Looking into getting a monopod as a travel option instead of a tripod and was wondering if those monopods were a good choice ?
Only for the lightest of cameras and lenses. I have a Trekpod GO (courtesy of last year's East Coast Pentax Gathering) and its ok for the K110D and the DA 18-55mm kit lens or even the DA 50-200mm, but I'd never get anywhere near it with the K10D and the BIGMA.

QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
are monopods really only for when you are using long lenses for long peroids of time
is there any benifits in using a monopod with a small prime lens like a 50 mm

Dave
So, to address the OP's question, yes there are uses with smaller and wider angle lenses as Mike Cash indicated. The following photo was a K10D with the 10-20mm fisheye on it at 10mm. Monopod held up straight up over my head to get a much higher POV than I could achieve by just holding the camera up with my arms.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 03-21-2009 at 05:31 PM.