Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2009, 07:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax BG2 battery grip user review

I recently reviewed Pentax's BG2 battery grip on my blog. I think this is a must-have accessory for the K10/20D. Despite popular belief, it will help you take better photographs!

Last edited by Robert S Donovan; 05-02-2009 at 10:04 AM. Reason: updated URL
03-22-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
I recently reviewed Pentax's BG2 battery grip on my blog. I think this is a must-have accessory for the K10/20D. Despite popular belief, it will help you take better photographs!
Nice review. I just got a used one from a Forum member.
03-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Good review, I appreciate it.
03-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #4

Great, now I have one more thing to spend money on! Good review, I was thinking about it, but your review made me NEED one!

RD

03-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice one, ....I've been looking forward to getting hold of one of those, (hard to prioritize, sometimes, especially since the grip-less camera already fits my hands so wonderfully as it is, but I do like some extra ballast for steadiness, and making it pretty impossible to forget to put spare battery and card in the same bag as the camera wouldn't do me any harm, either. )
03-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I didn't go read the review...sorry for posting a "dummy didn't read it" comment, but everything is subjective. My photo buddy who travels and shoots with me from time to time just loves his grip...never takes it off and can't imagine not using it. He echoes most of the comments posted here...

I, on the other hand, HATE the grip for the K10D and K20D. It is clunky and overly thick and fits my hands poorly (I generally prefer larger cameras to smaller). The vertical shutter release is positioned badly for solid support--you have to move your index finger to the top to shoot. The only time I ever force myself to add this grip is when using a large telephoto with a tripod collar so I can rotate for vert. and horiz. orientation and have the battery power to shoot 500 shots or more with several hours of operating time. I very seldom shoot handheld and when I do, it's without the grip for ease and portability.

I do use an L-bracket on the body for tripod orientation.

Note that my opinion is heavily skewed by my past experience with the grip for the MZ-S which is highly ergonomically optimized. It has a vert. shutter release that is recessed into a perfect little pocket in the front index finger spot rather than on top when rotated. It affixes quickly with a lever lock rather than the screw lock of the newer grip. It is much smaller than the newer versions, it mixes rounded edges with sharper edges that fit the crease of your knuckles for an even better grip.

Sure I like the storage and 2nd battery capacity of the newer grip, but gosh the new digi grips seem inartistic and boxy and ill fitting compared to MZ-S grip and other brands of grips too. And I always travel with more than just the body/grip and lens, so storage is available without carrying the spare items in hand all day.

But not everybody likes the MZ-S grip either. When I have my buddy hold it, he shrugs his shoulders. It's no different than the grip you've reviewed to him. He likes both just fine.

BTW not trying to rain on your parade, just letting it be known that not everyone has the same opinion of this item, though the overwhelming response on this forum is a positive one regarding this grip.
03-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Ron Boggs, I agree that alternate opinions are valuable. Thanks for sharing!

03-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Read it...Best Blog Review I've ever seen! Great job integrating commentary with photos and super job adding arrows to photos. Photos were very professionally done. Kudos, you definitely do a thorough job! And I do understand your conclusions. If I hand held more often I'd likely agree with you 100%.

But I still greatly prefer the L-bracket to the grip. As a tripod guy, the grip doesn't enhance my handling--especially with an arca swiss plate sticking out of the bottom. Of course, then shooting vertical means flopping the tripod head to the side which is really a compromised position for the camera to "hang". On a tripod the grip is a detriment. When I do hand hold, it tends to be at weird angles--not looking through the viewfinder etc. and my personal preference for that is the smaller "plain" body with a smallish lens...DA 12-24/4 or FA 20-35/4. Seems wierd to talk that way as I greatly disliked the Pentax cameras and lenses during the different "eras" when Pentax marketed themselves as the smallest and lightest cameras around.
03-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Ron ;-)