Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
Robert,

Is the server down or the article was removed?

The link seems to be dead... And I just received my R-strap yesterday and I am not sure what to think of it and would like to read more reviews.

By the way, I have a question for people using the R-Strap: do you leave the attachment to the body all the times or remove it when you want to sit the camera on the base? I ask this because obviously the attachment that goes on the tripod thread is very obtrusive...

Thanks,

BB
Page is back up. Sorry 'bout that. I was doing some blog maintenance.

05-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Good review Robert,

So I guess you returned yours, correct? I just received it yesterday, so I'll need more time to figure out wha i want...

By the way, have you come across a better solution? And I was more interested on the R-Strap because of the two-camera setup than anything else.

Later

BB
05-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
Good review Robert,

So I guess you returned yours, correct? I just received it yesterday, so I'll need more time to figure out wha i want...

By the way, have you come across a better solution? And I was more interested on the R-Strap because of the two-camera setup than anything else.

Later

BB
I didn't return it since I paid cash for it on the PMA show floor is Las Vegas. Instead, I gave it to a friend who was interested in trying it out. I haven't gotten a verdict from him yet.

I have not found a better solution. I'm still using my old neoprene neck strap. Two cameras is a bit of a challenge that I have no experience with. The BlackRapid strap would probably work OK for one camera while the other was hanging on the opposite shoulder via a standard neck strap.
05-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I can offer my own experience--i purchased this strap to use, specifically on a trip to Disney, instead of using the stock k10d strap. Compared to the kit strap, i absolutely prefer the BlackRapid to that, but that isn't necessarily saying a lot.

I like the small storage pouch--I ended up putting a couple more SD cards in there, it makes access easier than going to the bag or even opening the storage in the battery grip.

I got used to, fairly quickly, having it on my hip.

some things i didn't like/would improve:
i noticed a few times, in spite of making sure the screw was in tight, that it came loose. that would be a really nice way to lose a camera..

if you have small children, it will put the camera at their eye level. my nephew ran into the camera a couple times in close quarters. both he and the camera survived.

i would like (and it could probably be hacked) some manner of securing the camera to your side when it is there---a clip to hook on your belt, or a secondary strap of some manner.....just so you could run with it or just move with it, knowing it is more secure. i ended up keeping it in my hand while moving, or having it lay more on my stomach than hip, sorta counter to it's design.

i did see some WDW staff photogs with like a backpack harness which kept the camera right on your chest...but im not sure if i'd like that. i think in terms of aesthetics, the R strap doesn't look too bad, whereas the backpack straps would make me feel like i have on one of those snuggli baby carriers, only for my dSLR.

for me, 99.9 percent of the time i still had the slingshot with me, and the two straps did tend to compete. if i get out of the habit of carrying the bag, it might have made the experience different.

a couple other notes....
1-the mount, if on a k10d with grip, fits oddly into the slingshot, and i assume probably other bags as well. when traveling, i ended up taking the screwmount off.
2-if i wanted to move to using that but not the bag alot, then i would want something else protecting the camera. camera armor, a skin of some sort, or even a modest holster bag. the one night i ventured into the parks with the camera, 16-45 and R strap only, i was mindful of the camera not having any protection as it would have in the bag.

id call it nice, but not perfect.

05-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #20
Forum Member

I got one a few months back, but never really used it because of one major annoyance. The L bracket mount makes it next to impossible to use the camera in portrait mode, i.e. with the battery grip attached. I see that they have now changed the mount to a knob type design (http://www.robertsdonovan.com/?p=986). Still, I believe this will get in the way if you are using the camera with a vertical grip.

One more thing is that storing the camera with the strap attached is pretty much impossible. The camera won't sit flat on a table, neither will it fit properly into my bag (connecting bracket is an unwanted protuberance)

Other than this, I think it's a very good product. Ergonomic (to wear and to use in landscape mode) and excellent build quality. Just don't get it if you are a frequent portrait shooter like me.

Cheers,
Keith
05-23-2009, 08:04 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You have to be careful with that strap mount lug. My dining table will never be the same