Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2009, 08:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

ebay lighting kits = need advice

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm new to working with lighting equipment and id like to get some feedback on whether to get something like this posted on ebay or go get something of better quality. Ive got limited funds so that is a factor. Also as i grow with experience i think to upgrade. Do you think that this is good to start off with and give me decent quality results??

NEW 800W PHOTOGRAPHY STUDIO UMBRELLA LIGHTING KIT+ BAG - (eBay.ca item 370174978972 end time 27-Mar-09 20:05:18 EDT)

Thanks everyone

03-23-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you find you enjoy working with flash/studio lighting I think you'll wish you'd 'upgraded' from the start.

Light is the most important element to photography; no photons, no photo. So don't go cheaper than you have to. That kit, and others like it, are "made for" ebayers that want to take "better" snaps of the wares they're selling on ebay.

Why not get one good manual shoe mount flash, one light stand, two umbrellas (1 shoot thru and 1 reflector) and a Cactus Wireless Trigger/Receiver set. Then go through Strobist: Lighting 101. Find out if you like it and if you do that simple one light kit can be the foundation you build up from and become your backups as you and your kit grows.
03-23-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Why not get one good manual shoe mount flash, one light stand, two umbrellas (1 shoot thru and 1 reflector) and a Cactus Wireless Trigger/Receiver set. Then go through Strobist: Lighting 101. Find out if you like it and if you do that simple one light kit can be the foundation you build up from and become your backups as you and your kit grows.
That's a good idea. I just didn't know exactly what to get.
What type of manual flash would work for the ISTDL??
As for the stands and umbrellas does any matter? Or should i spend the money on a brand name? I mean its just an umbrella right??
03-23-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Pentax AF200T or AF280T would be a good OEM options. Vivitar 285HV is/was a great workhorse for $80 (they've been bought by Cactus so reliability and quality may be an issue - I have no evidence one way or the other). Lumopro, working with mpex.com, who are in David "The Strobist" Hobby's left pocket (whew!) have just come out with the LU120. Even used Nikon SB24s would be just fine.

Since you're doing off-camera flash the brand really doesn't matter. You just need it to be:
a) Adjustable (3 stops minimum)
b) Have a sync port - or if not you'll need a $12 hot shoe adapter with a PC socket.
c) Guide number of 100.
Nice to haves:
d) Zoom - manual or electronic doesn't matter
e) Guide number of 120 or better.
f) TTL so you can use it on-camera and make use of in-camera metering.

You should be able to get a "good enough" flash for no more than $120. Stands and umbrellas can be had for about $30 each. An umbrella swivel for $20. Cactus V2s set for $40. MPEX has kits pre-configured that are "sanctioned" by The Strobist. You can mix/match/build your own from their inventory as well. But shop around Adorama and B&H as well, because MPEX isn't always less expensive.

Don't worry about backdrops and gels and snoots and gobos and scrims and bookends and ...... you'll learn all about 'em in Lighting101, and most you can make yourself with a cereal box and some gaffer tape.

03-23-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Venturi thanks a lot for your input. I will take a look at their website for those items.
I'm also taking a look at Henry's website since i'm located in Canada. Thanks again!
03-24-2009, 12:19 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
One thing i forgot to ask or was left out was how these flashes work in effectiveness and power if used using the shoot thru umbrella.

If i were to get a AF200T and use it with a shoot thru or reflective would i need to position the umbrella close to my subject?

If its not enough power then should i go with the 285HV instead then?
03-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by quiksilver Quote
One thing i forgot to ask or was left out was how these flashes work in effectiveness and power if used using the shoot thru umbrella.

If i were to get a AF200T and use it with a shoot thru or reflective would i need to position the umbrella close to my subject?

If its not enough power then should i go with the 285HV instead then?
The AF200 will do with an umbrella (certainly shoot through because it normally is close to the subject for maximal soft light effect), but you'll have to operate it at eg full/half power while a stronger flash would be working at eg 1/4 or 1/8th power. So you'll not be able to shoot at very short intervals.

If you can get it for a good price than the AF200 is a nice flash because it has four manual settings and it will always combine nicely with a future stronger flash. One drawback is that mounting snoots etc is harder (impossible?) on a model without a separate head.

Last edited by tomtor; 03-24-2009 at 12:08 PM.
03-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You should be able to get a "good enough" flash for no more than $120.
If you can do without TTL you can get it for a lot less. I just sold an SB28 for $80 shipped, great strobist flash (as long as you have an external trigger).
03-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #9

I was in your position a few days ago. Luckily, I gathered advice, and bought pretty much the list Venturi posted. I got a mint condition AF200T for $15 shipped on ebay, ordered the Pentax Remote F (embarassing, I went and bought a new battery from Radioshack because I thought the original was bad, I forgot to set drive mode to remote, doh!) for $9.95 shipped, ordered the Cactus triggers, and have a shoot through umbrella and mounting bracket on the way!

RD
03-24-2009, 08:21 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
excellent, now to get myself some umbrellas, stands and mounts for the flashes.
Let me know how it goes after you get the items and do some test shots.
03-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #11

I got a 360 FGZ for $33 at circuit city a while ago. How well would it work with one of those kits at MPEX?

Last edited by monkeybear; 03-24-2009 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Edit: It was pre-bankrupt CC. They had stopped stocking Pentax and had one left. It was sealed.
03-25-2009, 05:50 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monkeybear Quote
I got a 360 FGZ for $33 at circuit city a while ago. How well would it work with one of those kits at MPEX?
The only problem when using a 360 off camera and using a radio trigger (like cactus) is that the flash will turn itself off in a relatively short duration (I think its like 2 minutes) if it is not used and you have to reset it (turn it off and on, adjust the settings). You can live with it (I do) but its a pain.
03-25-2009, 07:44 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Does the 360 not have a way of disabling the auto-shutdown like the 540?
03-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope. None that I know of.
03-29-2009, 02:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

How do we disable the option on 540 ?