Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #1

cheap filter case -- will this work?

I have a circular polarizer that came in a hard plastic case. Inside is some cheap plastic to hold the filter in place, but it's not the right size and the filter rattles around.

Can I remove the plastic innards and add cloth padding, say from a microfiber cleaning rag, to hold the filter in place?

Reid

03-25-2009, 07:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Better to get a large foam sponge from any supermarket and cut thin slices (about 1/4th inch thick) from it and about the size of your filter's hard case. It will not only keep filters from rattling and shaking, but will also stay in place always. A piece of cloth (any kind) will most likely get out of place easily.
03-25-2009, 07:49 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Why bother at all?
03-25-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Why bother at all?
I guess the op is like me. I simply hate rattles, especially if I cannot pinpoint the source.

03-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Better to get a large foam sponge from any supermarket and cut thin slices (about 1/4th inch thick) from it and about the size of your filter's hard case. It will not only keep filters from rattling and shaking, but will also stay in place always. A piece of cloth (any kind) will most likely get out of place easily.
Good point. I was thinking about damage to the filter coatings. Will a sponge scratch them? Assuming I can hold it in place OK, what about a microfiber rag (I have a monitor cleaning kit that came with a microfiber cloth that sure seems a lot like the cloths my FW uses for dusting).

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Why bother at all?
I guess I'm not sure how to respond to this one... like rburgoss suggests, I don't like the rattle, and I also worry about the filter being damaged if it isn't held in place.