Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #1

Recommendation for bag to carry K10D

The bag will be carry-on luggage and would prefer backpack style. In addition to the camera it will hold one extra lens, a netbook 'puter, chargers, memory cards, small book or two, etc. Prefer to spend less than $100.00. Any suggestions (other than "get real mate")

03-24-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
Forum Member

Take a look at the Kata DR-466 or DR-467 (slightly larger).
03-24-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm looking to get rid of my DR-467 And it's quite a bit less than $100...

Any questions about it or if you need specific pics let me know (I mean...if you're considering it in general...not necessarily the one I have.)
03-24-2009, 11:43 PM   #4

I have a Crumpler Whickey and Cox. Fits a 17" laptop in removable sleeve, K20d plus lens (Tamron 28-75mm), three to four other lenses, rocket blower and battery charger, other small items. Plus a book or two and a few work files.

The full pack barely fits in the overhead luggage on most flights. For CRJs, the W/C only fits if the laptop sleeve is removed. I have only been able to fit the W/C underneath the seat when in 1st class - sometimes.

The W/C is great for transporting gear from point A to point B, but sucks for daily adventures. It is extremely secure in that it doesn't look like a camera bag and has limited exterior pockets. Access is limited into the interior of the bag, so the only way to open and get your camera out would be to lay the bag down on the ground and unzip the main run.

Good luck.

03-25-2009, 06:29 AM   #5
Inactive Account

While I like the Crumpler backpack (Sinking Barge), I had a chance to check out the local Crumpler store and found that any of the messenger bags were a bit too bulky feeling. I know it's due to the foam padding and all, but something about the hardness of the nylon fabric made the bag feel unwieldy and clumsy.

I like the look of the Kata DR-467 but wonder if it suffers from the same fate (overly hard dual layer fabric that makes it hard to open the bag up, etc.)?
03-25-2009, 11:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Due to the way the 467 opens on the bottom, the harder foam on the outside does require a slight "tug" to open the compartment all the way to keep it open. The rigid foam forms the 4 sides of the bottom compartment.

Although...the foam isn't the hardest I've ever felt since the bag itself is decently padded. It's just the way the bag was designed that makes it the way it is...