Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2009, 04:28 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Camera bag for K10D and 3 prime lenses

I have been looking around for a small camera bag that is able to house the Pentax K 50mm f/1.2, 77mm f/1.8 with the 31mm f/1.8 mounted on a K10D.

I have been looking at many different bags from Tamrac, Lowepro, Crumpler and National geographic...and I was wondering if anyone has any bright ideas

I am partial to the National Geographic ones because they are unobtrusive and don't attract attention to themselves the way alot of Crumpler bags do.but they have their logo sewn onto them and that will be difficult to remove, as I prefer to remove any logos on my bags so they don't scream out camera bag!

I have heard Domke bags are quite functional and are quite Utilitarian in design. but they are hard to find here in OZ...and I prefer to physically inspect the bag for it's worthyness to hold such and expensive piece of kit.

03-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

All you need for three primes is a camera and two pockets.
03-26-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You could always take a black Sharpie to the logo. My Lowepro's ugly rubber logo is now camouflaged black
03-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #4

I've tried to be more "incognito" by using backpacks or "old" camera bags. I picked up a padded divider online and inserted it into my old laptop backpack. I can hold 5-6 lenses, body and various accessories.

Check you local camera shop to see if they have a used section with some older bags or packs.

03-26-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My LowePro 100AW sling bag is inconspicuous. It looks like a school bag.
03-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #6

Tenba photo insert with bag of your choice.

Edit to add: I have a Domke F-6 and if you ordered this sight unseen you wouldn't be disappointed. It's a very durable bag with just the right amount of padding and space but the only con I have is that the metal clasps that hold the bag closed sometimes come awfully close to clanging on something I would rather wasn't clanged. Also note that the tag/label is very easy to remove; just cut and your stealth!

Last edited by MacGirl; 03-26-2009 at 03:23 PM.
03-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
All you need for three primes is a camera and two pockets.
ohh yeah, my pockets can handle holding a 31mm f/1.8 and a 50mm f/1.2 all day.that is sure to catch the ladies attention ;-)

03-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

"Why yes...that IS a Limited in my pocket"
03-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I kind of like the National Geographic ones for color and such, ...I haven't handled one, but I don't think the logo necessarily would attract attention, it might just look like the sort of thing that you might get for pledging to public TV or something.

Doesn't seem like a hard kit to fit, anyway.
03-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #10
Forum Member

my solution

I use the Tenba insert too.

I put it in a Manhattan Portage Flight Bag, which has a zipper along the top rather than the messenger bag-type flap closure. Makes for much faster access. Small, unobtrusive, looks cool. Has room for my K20d plus one zoom and three primes (or three smallish zooms if I had them), plus amazingly my Velbon Luxi-sf tripod (small and outstanding) if I feel like bringing that. Without the tripod there's room for a water bottle, small stuffable rain jacket, keys etc.

The bag setup is comfortable, low profile (not like a brick bouncing around on your hip) and lightweight, with clean lines and no clutter of random pockets and zippers all over the place. I modified the tenba insert by cutting a couple seams and adding some elastic loops so that the top closes up like a lid. Can send photos of the modification if you care to see how it was done.

here's a random link for the bag:

Manhattan Portage 6055 - Flight Bag

I have a lot of bags and went through a lot of combinations before I arrived at this one which I think is just really outstanding.

For times when I'm just carrying the body + 3 primes I've been thinking about getting this insert which is a little smaller and would allow for a little more extra space in the bag:

View the Camera Insert for Ultimate HB Bags at http://www.ortliebusa.com

FF
03-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
ohh yeah, my pockets can handle holding a 31mm f/1.8 and a 50mm f/1.2 all day.that is sure to catch the ladies attention ;-)
With that in mind, I suggest you either carry only one or put them both in the same pocket.
03-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Domke F3X
Tamrac Velocity 7X or 8X
Billingham Hadley
03-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

This is gonna be an odd ball suggestion, but I have a K200D and 3 of the DA Limited primes. I fit them all in a Lowepro Inverse 100AW belt pack . I find it to be quite comfortable, easy to open in a pinch, and has 2 dividers (so 3 pockets). I usually have the camera sit on the dividers and leave the lenses in the 3 pockets. I am planning to have a specific setup on it so I can easily change prime lenses within seconds. More on that in another thread.

It also has an option to go sling bag if you don't want a 'fanny pack' style bag But this is more designed to be a waist bag, that's for sure. The sling bag option is very useful when buckling or unbuckling the belt is too much of a hassle (or you're wearing a really long jacket).

The great thing is that, unlike a backpack or a sling bag, the weight is on my hips. This leaves my upper body with less weight on it (And no back sweat from the backpack). Once tightened properly, I usually put all my camera gear in it, swivel it so it's at my back and can run without it bouncing around.

Here's a review on it!

Last edited by dugrant153; 03-28-2009 at 05:23 PM.
03-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
With that in mind, I suggest you either carry only one or put them both in the same pocket.

um,I don't mean to brag, but I don't need that much enhancement....
04-02-2009, 01:20 AM   #15
axl
Veteran Member

Hi Digitalis,

I don't know if I'm not too late in the game, but if I could, I'd recommend Lowepro 100AW. Great little bag, and fits easily K10D w grip and 3-4 primes...
have a look at my post in this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/52929-how-do-yo...-please-2.html
post #21

BR