Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2009, 05:47 AM   #1

Sigma EF530 DG ST - good?

what do you think about Sigma EF530 DG ST?
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/flashes/flashes_flashes_details.asp?id=3266

it is a good flash?

can you give me your suggestion?

it is similar to Metz 48 or better?
http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electronics/mecablitz-models/system-flash-units/...formation.html

03-26-2009, 07:57 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: The Definitive Guide

p.s. Its a sticky...
03-26-2009, 08:48 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ghost Quote
yes, i know this guide ...but have you experience?
03-26-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have not had any problems with mine.

03-26-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

At least 55 Other threads discuss this :)
03-26-2009, 10:49 AM   #6

Original Poster
...maybe i will buy a metz 36... i'm thinking...

i'm afraid to buy a flash or too simply\economic or too big\expensive
03-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will be delighted to come over and click the mouse button and make a purchase for you as I am highly qualified to click. Not qualified to give advice on this forum however.....but last week I received my Sigma 530 Super from B&H pretty much DOA, cross shipped it for the Metz 48 and have not looked back. Yes, using the little buttons in tandom to change settings is better for little fingers but at least a noob like me could have it running wireless in minutes without issue.

03-26-2009, 07:33 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by gemini Quote
yes, i know this guide ...but have you experience?
I own the older 500, but have found it very easy to use. The guide was recommended as I don't know your needs. Make a check-list of what you need, and eliminate the flashes one by one using the guide. good luck!
03-27-2009, 02:55 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I will be delighted to come over and click the mouse button and make a purchase for you as I am highly qualified to click. Not qualified to give advice on this forum however.....but last week I received my Sigma 530 Super from B&H pretty much DOA, cross shipped it for the Metz 48 and have not looked back. Yes, using the little buttons in tandom to change settings is better for little fingers but at least a noob like me could have it running wireless in minutes without issue.
thansk for your opinion.
for all peole Sigma EF530 Super is good ...but i ask infoa bout the Sigma EF530(NO super)

QuoteOriginally posted by ghost Quote
I own the older 500, but have found it very easy to use. The guide was recommended as I don't know your needs. Make a check-list of what you need, and eliminate the flashes one by one using the guide. good luck!
at the moment:
- Metz 36 (economic, but then if it is too simply?)
- Sigma EF530 DG ST (NO super) (not so economic)
- Tumax 386\ Dorr DAF-42 (they are the same product) (economic but good? it is mysterious: there are contrastant opinions)
- Metz 48 (if "new" is a little expensive for me)

i saw data-sheet but... now please give me your opinions, if you have
03-27-2009, 04:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gemini Quote

at the moment:
- Metz 36 (economic, but then if it is too simply?)
- Sigma EF530 DG ST (NO super) (not so economic)
- Tumax 386\ Dorr DAF-42 (they are the same product) (economic but good? it is mysterious: there are contrastant opinions)
- Metz 48 (if "new" is a little expensive for me)

i saw data-sheet but... now please give me your opinions, if you have
We need to know more about your needs before anyone can tell you more. All of these products have things to recommend them and things which make them not the best choice for someone -- but it depends the someone. To me, wireless P-TTL is essential, and of the ones you've listed only the Metz 48 AF-1 has it. To someone else, that's not so important.
03-27-2009, 05:10 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
We need to know more about your needs before anyone can tell you more. All of these products have things to recommend them and things which make them not the best choice for someone -- but it depends the someone. To me, wireless P-TTL is essential, and of the ones you've listed only the Metz 48 AF-1 has it. To someone else, that's not so important.
hello matt

i'm happy to meet you: i found very interesting your Guide to Flash!

- wireless P-TTL is not important.
- i will use the flash some times.
- i want a good number of flashes for each set of battery
- good Charging time
- i want tilt head. but also swiv head is better.
- motor zoom is better. (Metx 36 has not motor zoom and it has reflector from 28mm: this is not very very good. i will prefer from 24mm)

then maybe in the future i will want also other features but at the moment i don't know...
03-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #12

Hi, I'm a little offtopick, but I didn't want to start another thread just for a simple qustion. Is the Sigma EF530 DG ST universal, or is it made different for every brand (Canon, Nikon, Pentax). Thanks
03-27-2009, 01:15 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by lumpus Quote
Hi, I'm a little offtopick, but I didn't want to start another thread just for a simple qustion. Is the Sigma EF530 DG ST universal, or is it made different for every brand (Canon, Nikon, Pentax). Thanks
To my knowledge it is not universal. My flash box says FOR PENTAX so the answer is no.