Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Any more long-term experiences with the V4's?
Are there better alternatives?

I'm looking for a cheap system with one transceiver and two (or more) receivers.

Do the V4 receivers really work with trigger voltages from 0-300V? That would be ideal. AFAIK, the V2 system came in two versions for flashes with 0-12V and 12-???V. I'd like to be flexible with respect to trigger voltages because I don't know what flashes I'll be able to get my hands on.

How do you mount a flash/receiver combination on a tripod or some other stand?

07-05-2009, 04:39 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
AFAIK, the V2 system came in two versions for flashes with 0-12V and 12-???V. I'd like to be flexible with respect to trigger voltages because I don't know what flashes I'll be able to get my hands on.
Yes it did. The V2 receivers are good for flashes about 12V and up while the V2s receivers are needed for modern flash units with low trigger voltages.
07-07-2009, 06:43 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I hope the one I am getting will not have any problem.. since my on board flash dead I have been missing all the wireless flash fun..
07-12-2009, 05:23 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I did some research and found that reliability has issues with the cactus V4 so I went with CTR-301P (Hope I made a right call)Waiting for the slow boat from HK (3 receivers and 1 transmitter)

cheers

07-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
I did some research and found that reliability has issues with the cactus V4 so I went with CTR-301P (Hope I made a right call)Waiting for the slow boat from HK (3 receivers and 1 transmitter)

cheers
Check out my review of the CTR-301

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/62915-youngnuo-ctr301-review.html
07-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
I did some research and found that reliability has issues with the cactus V4
Apparently, the test you see in the V4 test video hasn't got much validity as most receivers will fail occasionally if put so closely together with their transmitter (so I read).

EDIT: Sorry for not including the part about the transmitter being too close to the receivers. The receiver to receiver distance should actually not matter, but the distance from the transmitter to the receivers should not be too close.

The big advantage of the Cactus V4 over any other solution I know is that the receivers can handle strobe trigger voltages from 0-300V.

Last edited by Class A; 07-13-2009 at 05:07 PM.
07-13-2009, 02:40 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Apparently, the test you see in the V4 test video hasn't got much validity as most receivers will fail occasionally if put so closely together (so I read).
So, this would mean unreliable still for whatever reason.
If one brand works without any interference issues, then that brand would be better.
If there would be any interference then (radio transmitters or walkie talkie, etc..), other than them (receivers) being beside each other then these triggers would still not work 100% as they are interference prone from what you have reasoned out (or read).

07-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
So, this would mean unreliable still for whatever reason.
If one brand works without any interference issues, then that brand would be better.
Note that the problem is not the receivers being close together but the transmitter being too close to the receivers. This problem also exists with RC cars.

Do you notice that marlon88 put the CTR-301P transmitter outside the frame? It is sufficiently spaced apart to fire the receivers. The tests this guy does are not comparable and are not a reliable source of information, AFAIC.
07-14-2009, 02:33 AM   #39
Pentaxian

I contacted the service at Gadget Infinity who sell the Cactus V4. I asked some questions about their product and also enquired about the misfiring that youtube "tester" marloon88 reported on. The service is very quick to respond and answered all my questions.

Here's a summary:
  • There is a possibility that the transceiver is a bit too close to the receiver in the marloon88 test.
  • Another possibility is that marloon88 received one of a few defective units sent out in a first batch in March. Since mid-April the issue has been addressed and replacement units were offered and sent out to affected customers.
  • marloon88 was offered a replacement too but refused to retest with new units and/or with the transmitter spaced apart from the receivers a bit.
You may wonder what my involvement is. I just cannot stand it when a single guy's video spreads a rumour about lack of reliability which simply has no bearing in reality.

I'll buy their product with confidence.

BTW, tons of happy users at the Flickr strobist discussion for the Cactus V4.

Last edited by Class A; 07-14-2009 at 04:58 AM.
07-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I contacted the service at Gadget Infinity who sell the Cactus V4. I asked some questions about their product and also enquired about the misfiring that youtube "tester" marloon88 reported on. The service is very quick to respond and answered all my questions.

Here's a summary:
  • There is a possibility that the transceiver is a bit too close to the receiver in the marloon88 test.
  • Another possibility is that marloon88 received one of a few defective units sent out in a first batch in March. Since mid-April the issue has been addressed and replacement units were offered and sent out to affected customers.
  • marloon88 was offered a replacement too but refused to retest with new units and/or with the transmitter spaced apart from the receivers a bit.
You may wonder what my involvement is. I just cannot stand it when a single guy's video spreads a rumour about lack of reliability which simply has no bearing in reality.

I'll buy their product with confidence.

BTW, tons of happy users at the Flickr strobist discussion for the Cactus V4.
Yeah..as I said..whatever reason the reliability issues where, it still showed it was unreliable.
I could give a countless number of excuses for a bad product if I really wanted to sell them.
If I see many a review of one as reliable, then that is data in black and white and not giving excuses or probably reasons why it misfired in black and white.
I would definitely go with what I saw as reliable.
I do hope that you buy one and debunk the reliability issues so that there would be another source.
I just go with all the other reviews that show the CTR-301 having great reliabilty and distance effectivity.
07-14-2009, 09:28 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just go with all the other reviews that show the CTR-301 having great reliabilty and distance effectivity.
CTR-301's are completely unreliable. They will misfire and have a very limited working distance (when they actually work). Pocket Wizards are much better if you intend to actually use wireless flash triggers.

See? Not all the reviews you read on the interwebs are glowingly positive.
07-14-2009, 03:02 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Yeah..as I said..whatever reason the reliability issues where, it still showed it was unreliable.
What does one defective copy say about the reliability of a product?

I could give a countless number of excuses for a bad product if I really wanted to sell them.
What bad product are we talking about?

If I see many a review of one as reliable, then that is data in black and white and not giving excuses or probably reasons why it misfired in black and white.
There are many, many more reports on how reliable the V4 triggers are than there are statements to the contrary. In fact w.r.t. the latter I only know of our youtube hero who refuses to answer any questions regarding his "test".

I do hope that you buy one and debunk the reliability issues so that there would be another source.
I'm honoured that my experience is considered to be significant despite the availability of the many happy user reports who posted on the flickr discussion thread I provided a link to.

And that's totally fine. If you look sufficiently hard, though, I'm sure a "test" of the CTR-301 can be unearthed were some brainiac shows that they are totally unreliable. Would that change your mind?

Last edited by Class A; 07-14-2009 at 03:11 PM.
07-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
CTR-301's are completely unreliable.
Just wanted to say that I don't think you are a "brainiac".

I wrote my post before I saw yours and I'm sure you know what I meant with my statement.

Last edited by Class A; 07-15-2009 at 03:18 PM.
07-15-2009, 07:50 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Just received the Cactus V4 ( yes, I shipped to my office ) just test the receiver triggered around the department so should works fine. will do better test when home
07-15-2009, 10:18 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I don't have actually any you tube heroes (maybe just myself ).
I go with the reviews that I saw and read here in the forums itself.
I guess it all depends on ones choice, if you really like the V4, then buy it and do a review here please.
There is already a review here of the CTR-301, so I have no qualms there.
As for the pocket wizard, I think people in this thread are talking about poverty wizards and not the high-end stuff.