Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I didn't know!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hoya, Tokina-Kenko and Pentax ?? There are a number of threads, here and elsewhere, discussing this relationship/partnership/ownership. Ultimately, I feel as one of the replies in a thread in the rumours forum here: and how does this affect my photos?
But while shopping for filters I found how it affects my wallet. I found some discussion of Kenko filters, but not here and not recent.
From ebay I ordered a Kenko Pro1 DMC 58mm clear filter for under $20us shipped from Hong Kong. That's $5 cheaper than any other seller I could find. Not a huge savings, but enough to be interesting to me. The filter arrived in 2 weeks and even the packaging looks exactly like a Hoya Pro1 filter.
Here's the one I bought:
Genuine Kenko 58mm PRO 1D filter Made in Japan - eBay (item 120363425893 end time Mar-27-09 01:12:24 PDT)
The seller has others at good prices.

hth

Last edited by StevenVH; 03-27-2009 at 07:13 PM.
03-28-2009, 05:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks Steve - I just bought a couple of 77mm filters - Half price from what it would cost me here
03-28-2009, 06:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Dave, you're welcome. I've already bought the 77mm filters I need unfortunately. I do need 67mm and some stepping rings though. There's another store on ebay from a Chinese seller that has a huge selection of filters and rings at good prices. That store, IIRC, even had B+W filters as well as Kenko, Hoya and a bunch of other useful accessories.
I'll post the link when I find it.

cheers
03-28-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks Steve--looks like a good deal-- let us know how performance is. Also, surely will appreciate that link you are getting for us.

03-29-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Thanks Steve--looks like a good deal-- let us know how performance is. Also, surely will appreciate that link you are getting for us.
Well, so far it's typical of recent Hoya filters in that it has an oily residue that's difficult to remove. I posted in another thread that I've resorted to a bowl of warm soapy water and a soft cotton towel for an initial cleaning. Otherwise, it's typical Pro1 filter quality, well made, nice glass, etc.
I've also said elsewhere I have to have a filter on lenses I take with me to work (at sea) because the environment is so harsh. I can only hope I'm not degrading lens performance too much. I always use a hood as well and haven't seen any obvious negative results from using filters so far.
I'll search for that other store tonight.

cheers
03-29-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Protection is the key - I don't find my Kenko Pro filters degrade quiality. I did however drop a lens out of my LowPro Sling 200 bag once about 4 feet - onto a cement floor. When I say the shattered glass I almost cried - then saw that was only the filter that broke - huge sigh of relief - YMMV of course but I have one on all my lenses.

That other link would be great I need a 67 and the first place does not have any.