Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Extension Tube on K200D

Hey guys.
I ordered an Extension Tube from Ebay, it doesn't allow auto control on the lens, because it's from the cheap kind.

Is there any way to open manually the aperture to max?
I got the kit lens- DA 18-55/3.5-5.5.
so If I go from 18 for example to 55, what happen to the aperture? is it say on 3.5?

thanks,
D0ri

03-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #2

AFAIK, if you want to use manual extension tube, you need to use older lenses with aperture ring, so you can control the aperture from the lens instead. There are many options with Pentax, such as Pentax A, Pentax M and Pentax K and M42 screw mount lenses, they're all have aperture ring.

I recommend buying Pentax M 1.7, you can get around $50 or less, and use it with the manual extension tube.

Or, you could try to find cheap 2x teleconverter which supports A (auto-aperture), im my experience they're a lot cheaper then A-enabled extension tube (I got one for 30dollar but I'm sure you can get for less). The optical quality doesnt matter because you'll remove the glasses and use it as an extension tube (it's actually very easy to remove them, at least on mine). Because it supports A function you'll be able to set the aperture on K200D and use your 18-55mm lens. But, it will be shorter than normal extension tube I believe, mine is about 2.5cm long (while my manual extension tube is 5cm long) so when you use it with 50mm-55mm lens you only get 1:2 enlargement , not bad for flower shot IMO.

With 18-55mm lens, I think you'd better to keep the zoom at 55mm because if you use shorter focal you'd have to get closer to the subject. In my case, with the 2x teleconverter used as extension tube with 50mm lens, to get in focus, the lens is only 12cm away from the flower / object.
03-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
well I already bought the tube, and it's manual.
I've got a Nikon lens with manual aperture adjust, can I use it somehow?

A cheap teleconverter is a nice idea, but it will be too short.

I've got an idea - if I set the aperture to max (lets say 5.5) and then take of the lens from the camera, will it work?
03-28-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

No, that won't work.

03-28-2009, 03:52 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by D0ri Quote
Yes, if you can manage to mount the Nikon lens to the tube, it'll work. But, I have a Nikon mount lenses too, and while they can mount perfectly fine on my istDS, my manual extension tube refuses to mount them YMMV though

I've got an idea - if I set the aperture to max (lets say 5.5) and then take of the lens from the camera, will it work?
I think that only work with Canon EOS lens, as a tutorial somewhere on the net explained, but for Pentax lenses they'll revert back to minimum aperture as soon as you remove them from the body, too bad.

Last edited by sajah; 03-28-2009 at 11:38 PM.
03-28-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes, if you get a reversing ring. You'll have the additional advantage of a sharper image over mounting it "normally"...
03-29-2009, 05:43 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
the nikon lens is to close for reversing ring, I see black circle around the image.
so what can I do? just take photos with slow shutter speed?
03-29-2009, 07:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

so what can I do?
That was already answered in the first reply you got, one which was very helpful and informative.

When contemplating getting into some new aspect of photography requiring gear one is not familiar with, it is best to ask questions before buying stuff.

03-29-2009, 08:05 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
hmm yes you're absolutely right.
But my last question was what can I do with the current situation, with this tube and this lens, is there any tips or whatsoever...
03-29-2009, 10:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

It doesn't hurt to try. My favorite portrait lens is an old non-AI Nikkor. It's attached to my K10D. It likely can attach to an extension tube: